The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 06:06:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Convert.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Convert.  (Read 535 times)
PandoricaPond
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Ten/Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Poll Voter Level 3
« on: October 07, 2010, 01:29:01 pm »

I wish to watch the classics, preferably from the first ever episode right through to the latest eps (which I've seen but repeats aren't that bad  Wink lol) Is there any way, online or DVD, I could make this happen?
Report Spam   Logged

#Doctor: Amy was frightened. I was frightened. But we survived, you know, and the relief of it... And so she kissed me. #Rory: And you kissed her back. #Doctor: No, I kissed her mouth. #Rory: Funny.

#Companions; DOCTOR!!!

#Doctor: RUN!!!

#Doctor: Bowties are cool.

#Doctor: Fezzes are cool
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 01:37:12 pm »

Of all the classic serials that are still in existence, I think there are 29 that are still to be released on DVD so they would be easy to pick up. Some you can get fir dirt cheap, others you are looking to pay about £19.99 for. Some are more expensive than that though. There is also a boxset of miscellaneous episodes from partially lost serials.

If you want to watch online, there are places where you can find all of them, though the legality and legitimacy of them is questionable. BlinkBox are showing loads of classics for free and there is information about them from the news site HERE

Dont think they have all available serials, but there is a good mix on there and stuff from all the Doctors, which will give you a taster and can help decide if you want to shell out on the DVDs (which you really should because the extras are awesome) and if you need any reccomendations there is a thread in this section somewhere where people have put theirs forward Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 01:51:12 pm »

Yeah there is - it's called 'What to watch?' & I started it for exactly the purpose of getting recommendations  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 11:30:34 pm »

I'd seriously reccomend you start watching the classic series. So many brilliant doctors, companions and stories
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 11:14:13 pm »

This is a bit of an odd way to look at it, but my advice is that if you watch some classics and hate them, keep on watching because each different Doctor and companion change the dynamic of the show completely. If you love the show I'd say there is no way you can get through the classics without finding a Doctor/companion pairing that you don't like. And the stories are great
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 10:11:18 am »

This is a bit of an odd way to look at it, but my advice is that if you watch some classics and hate them, keep on watching because each different Doctor and companion change the dynamic of the show completely. If you love the show I'd say there is no way you can get through the classics without finding a Doctor/companion pairing that you don't like. And the stories are great

As always, I find myself agreeing with Peri. I remember the first time I watched a Jon Pertwee episode after having never seen one - i thought it was unwatchable at first. Now, I gotta say that Pertwee is now one of my favourite Classic Series Doctors and Terror of the Autons one of my all time favourite episodes. Watching Classic Who is truly like watching another show - but I promise, the spirit is exactly the same Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Mind_Robber
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 12:20:30 pm »

Yeah there is - it's called 'What to watch?' & I started it for exactly the purpose of getting recommendations  Smiley
Can you send me the link for that? I'm using dailymotion at the moment, and boy is it time consuming. Plus some of the scenes are stills, rather than moving pictures. (not sure why)
Report Spam   Logged

There's one thing you never put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... me!
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 12:29:34 pm »

Oops sorry that isn't a place to watch DW. I was referring back to the Doc saying there was a thread on the forum where TorchwoodRose could find recommended eps of Classic Doctor Who from other people - I just didn't quote it.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Mind_Robber
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 01:06:56 pm »

oh. haha. And here I was hoping I found a better site to watch them on Grin
Report Spam   Logged

There's one thing you never put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... me!
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 12:12:01 pm »

As always, I find myself agreeing with Peri. I remember the first time I watched a Jon Pertwee episode after having never seen one - i thought it was unwatchable at first. Now, I gotta say that Pertwee is now one of my favourite Classic Series Doctors and Terror of the Autons one of my all time favourite episodes. Watching Classic Who is truly like watching another show - but I promise, the spirit is exactly the same Smiley

And the sooner that story gets a DVD release, the better for all of us!! I was reading the other day that they recorded a commentary for it 9 years ago, but they cancelled the release date in 2002 and it hasnt been mentioned since.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 11:17:29 am »

I've watched a few classics and they are ok. I far prefer the new stuff though. Much better stuff
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 06:28:03 pm »

Like everything, it's not for everyone. I love the new series but personally prefer the classic series. I don't know anyone who likes the new series but dislikes the old which I think says a lot
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 06:43:53 pm »

And the sooner that story gets a DVD release, the better for all of us!! I was reading the other day that they recorded a commentary for it 9 years ago, but they cancelled the release date in 2002 and it hasnt been mentioned since.

I couldnt agree more! It deserves a place on my shelf! Its totally underated but totally brilliant. Not many people would agree with me on that I dont suppose
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 10:29:46 pm »

Like everything, it's not for everyone. I love the new series but personally prefer the classic series. I don't know anyone who likes the new series but dislikes the old which I think says a lot

I remember back to the dim and distant times. Simpler times when the Doctor only had 12 regenerations and the Face of Boe actually still looked like Ianto (don't believe the misdirection at the end of LOTL). I started to watch the show which, at that time, had Tom Baker in it and become utterly obsessed, getting my Dr Who annual and taping the soundtrack off the telly so I could listen to it later. I then saw a Jon Pertwee story and couldn't believe my eyes! What the f*** was Worzel Gummidge doing in my TARDIS? Who was that lovely blonde with a squeaky voice. Why was the music all harsh and metally? WHAT HAVE THEY DONE!!! I can only imagine the culture shock for someone who has only seen the 2005 incarnation onwards - it is virtually unrecognisable.

Yet for some reason, and one which is down to the genius of both iterations of the series, the soul of the show remains intact. Watch a show like Robots of Death or Earthshock and the same themes and issues crop up. Classic Who, I think, requires the viewer to engage a lot more and put a lot more of the pieces together. It requires us to ignore a lot of the obvious deficiencies and engage more closely with the story and perversely I think this helps us as viewers. Don't get me wrong, the 21st Century production values are amazing and the show is a wonderful, visual treat. But the Classic Series has an intangible charm and an ineffable quality that still survives.

I will say, one of my best friends completely disagrees with this thesis, calling it 'pretentious, psuedo-intellectual drivel'. He thinks the new show is 850 times better than the old one and whenever i venture a contrary opinion he reinforces his argument by singing 'Wobbly Sets, Wobbly Sets, Wobbly Wobbly Sets' to the tune of Rhubarb and Custard (the cartoon narrated by Richard Briers).

He may have a point.

Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 10:40:30 pm »

Who really cares about wobbly sets. Its the least of the classic series problems. Pay enough attention and you can see camera men, microphones, shadows, the lot all coming into scenes. The first few series also had the added indignity of not being allowed reshoots, so every fluff and **** up remained. There is a scene in The Web Planet where the camera man nearly brings the set down because he doesnt stop in time and crashes into it. The sets and camera all shake, but they kept on. But you know what, I love it all. I wouldnt change the classic series one bit. Ok maybe a few tweaks Tongue Making TV then is nothing like they do now and once you have taken that into account you are left with some amazing stories and cracking performances. Thats why they still hold up nearly 50 years later.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 10:55:37 pm »

Making TV then is nothing like they do now and once you have taken that into account you are left with some amazing stories and cracking performances. Thats why they still hold up nearly 50 years later.

I totally agree and like I say, the limited production values I think actually demand more of you as a viewer so you engage more deeply with the stories
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 11:01:22 pm »

Tis true. Too many shows are handed to you on a plate these days and all you have to do is watch without getting involved or engaged in it. I sound so old Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 11:06:37 pm »

Tis true. Too many shows are handed to you on a plate these days and all you have to do is watch without getting involved or engaged in it. I sound so old Tongue

We should start another subject group entitled 'Grumpy Old Fans' it can have threads such as 'Wasn't Leela Lovely', 'I miss the White Roundels' and 'When will the Zarbi be coming back'
Report Spam   Logged

Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 11:07:02 pm »

Did you have to walk 15 miles up hill both ways in the snow to watch those shows? Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 11:12:48 pm »

It felt like it sometimes. I refer you to Chris' Zarbi Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: