The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 04:33:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Concerns about the future

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Concerns about the future  (Read 296 times)
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« on: September 03, 2010, 06:26:44 pm »

When Torchwood started I immediatly loved it. Series one imo was brilliant. Series 2 had a couple duff episodes, but on the whole was even better than the first series (death of Tosh aside). Then we got to COE. I loved it dont get me wrong, but I think that big, overarching end of the world story was best confined to that one series. I know the stakes were going to be higher for this series, but I wanted a return to the more episodic nature of the first two series but now we are going to be getting one long story over a longer period of time. Im not going to slate the content or throw my toys out of the pram like some have done about the new series, and I will no doubt enjoy it, but on the whole a return to roots is what I would prefer.

Anyway that was my ramble. The point of this thread is for you to share any concerns or worries you have regarding the route the show has taken and what we know about the next series.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 07:38:14 pm »

I have none other than it may be the last series. I trust RTD completely and with Julie Gardner as his wingman and now Jane Espenson on board, I just dont see how it could fail (though I will accept it is possible Smiley )
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Ten, Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond, Sarah Jane Smith (favorite Whoniverse characters) and supporter of Gwen Cooper

View Profile
Level 5 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 10:40:28 pm »

I liked Torchwood series 2 because of the way it brought more character development to the team who were introduced in series 1, and it seemed they got along better in the second year after the conflict they had been through when we first saw them.  In series 3 it seemed they were being sent from one crisis to another and they didn't take much time out to discuss what was happening to them.  As it was only five episodes it was too short.  The team didn't seem to have much control over what was happening to them, with all the government officials discussing things away from them. 

Now when they bring it back for a fourth series, they should at least confront the issues they've already put in.  The events surrounding Gray, John, Owen and Tosh weren't addressed much in series 3. Now, if they're going to have more new characters we should be able to get to know them as people to justify their inclusion in Torchwood.
Report Spam   Logged

"Have you never seen something so mad, so ... extraordinary, that, just for one second, you think that there might be more out there?"

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 11:51:08 pm »

Ah, we Sci Fi fans are a twitchy lot! The one thing we hate more than anything else is change. DoctorDonna I feel exactly as you do - but I always feel this way when change is afoot. I remember the fearful reaction I had when I heard in 1986 rumours about them bringing back Star Trek with a blind navigator, a klingon and a therapist - yet TNG was masterful! I heard about the new Doctor Who - written by that fella who wrote Queer as Folk "Uh Oh" thought I. And, as usual I feel exactly the same about new Torchwood. However, I also agree with 'The Doc' - I trust Rusty, he's a real class act. Some of the writing team are just amazing (Jane Espensen being the stand out). So I guess, IMO, it's a wait and see. There is no point in pretending that I'll do anything other than watch it all but I am a little nervous. Rusty claims it will be darker than CoE??? Schindler's List wasn't much darker than CoE so I hope its not too dark (light and shade is needed). But I'll give it a go and see what US flavoured RTD can give us.
Report Spam   Logged

Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 05:33:23 pm »

My only hesitation with it, is that RTD has said several times he wants to bring in new viewers. And, with Starz owning the rights, I'm afraid it will stray farther and farther from the Whoniverse.

I hope I'm wrong.

I mean, I've heard it from someone who had it on good authority that

[spoiler]Martha Jones will most likely appear, although probably just a cameo[/spoiler]
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 05:44:59 pm »

Having Jane Espenson on board has made me a lot more confident about S4, she is one of my favourite writers and is absolutely brilliant at characterisation.  I've been watching Pillars of the Earth on Starz to try and get a feel of how they can handle 'Brit style' TV/stories and I have to admit that I have been VERY impressed so far.

Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 05:47:36 pm »

Im not too worried about Starz unput. They have said they are happy to leave it all up to RTD, so if they have any sense they will follow through on that and not try pulling him into corners which will alienate the current fanbase
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 02:35:53 pm »

I agree (as almost always) with The Doc, I think this is RTDs real chance to shine on the world stage. We know how ambitious old Rusty is and we know how much of a perfectionist he is as well. My confidence is high that Torchwood v2 (or v.4) will be alright!
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 11:34:51 am »

My only concern is that I will have to spend another year listening to people whining about how Ianto should be brought back from the dead etc. Cant begin to tell you how much I am over that!
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: