The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 09:53:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Donna Noble Appreciation Society

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Donna Noble Appreciation Society  (Read 1187 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: August 30, 2010, 09:14:58 pm »

Someone had to start an appreciation thread for her, so it may as well be me. This woman was amazing. By far my favourite companion of all time. She was just an all around great character. She had flaws, but that just made her more real for me. I loved her relationship with the Doctor and her overall storyarc was brilliant. Although, as glad as I am that she got her winning lottery ticket and happy ever after ending, I kind of wish she wasnt in TEOT.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 10:25:58 pm »

Right there with you on this one. I must say I had certain baggage that I attached to her and I was waiting for her to be like her comic character. But boy was I wrong. She had a feel of Sarah Jane with a hint of Tegan but was quirky and different. At last, this was a female companion who wasn't a Bond girl and wasn't irritating. Her relationship with #10 was exactly as the Doctor should be - I can see why she fascinated him. There are criticisms of her but..Am I bovvered? All hail Donna Noble Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 12:01:50 am »

Where do I start? I love Donna, and I was a hater when I heard she was cast! I shout at the world to cover up my own fears and insecurities, she is so like me, and she suffered a fate worse than death, all those wonderful adventures and to never know.  We should remember though, that life is an adventure, and she will have that with her husband, I'm thinking of the film UP now and almost crying!
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
BlueRose

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 01:22:26 am »

Where do I start? I love Donna, and I was a hater when I heard she was cast! I shout at the world to cover up my own fears and insecurities, she is so like me, and she suffered a fate worse than death, all those wonderful adventures and to never know.  We should remember though, that life is an adventure, and she will have that with her husband, I'm thinking of the film UP now and almost crying!

I was the same, but I must admit the writers tried WAY too hard with her, crammed her down our throats and she was likeable without all that crap. It bordered on ruining her at times and in Journey's End flat out did.
Report Spam   Logged
WireButterfly
Hatchling

View Profile
Level 2 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 01:53:18 pm »

Although, as glad as I am that she got her winning lottery ticket and happy ever after ending, I kind of wish she wasnt in TEOT.

Oh hell no!

That ending was so patronising and mysogynistic!

"Let's give Donna a husband and loads of money, cos in the end that's all it really takes to make her happy"

I DON'T THINK SO RUSTY.

He built her up to be awesome, the woman who saved the whole of creation, who had one of the most tragic and heart-rending series exits, and then brings her back to throw a bunch of cliches about what makes women happy at her.

I agree about wishing she wasn't in TEOT, because it totally undermined everything she had ever been whilst travelling with the Doctor, and for him to not even be able to say goodbye to her properly was an outrage. Angry
Report Spam   Logged
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 11:39:32 pm »

Donna was great, feisty and funny and not afraid to challenge the Doctor when he needed a smackdown.  I'm not a fan of Ten, but she made series 4 enjoyable for me.  I HATED her fate though - all those amazing adventures and she wasn't allowed to remember any of it.  RTD could write some good stuff, but this was definitely not it.
Report Spam   Logged
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 11:41:02 pm »

ooh that's exactly what I did love, I like to have my guts wrenched.  Never liked happy endings, sorry you didn't like it though.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
DAK
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 01:42:07 am »

Wow, you have to be the first person I've ever known to say they don't like happy endings!  I find the real world depressing and sad enough, TV (and other entertainment) is my escape from all that.  I can handle all the angst and bumps along the way, but in the end I want the show and characters I've come to love to end happily. 
Report Spam   Logged
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 11:49:42 am »

Donna was great, feisty and funny and not afraid to challenge the Doctor when he needed a smackdown.  I'm not a fan of Ten, but she made series 4 enjoyable for me.  I HATED her fate though - all those amazing adventures and she wasn't allowed to remember any of it.  RTD could write some good stuff, but this was definitely not it.

I loved Donna and agree that her fate was terrible - but I guess the silver lining is that she ended up getting what she had been looking for since she was first introduced - wedding, husband, financial security, etc.  So in the end, she is able to go on and have a good life - a happy ending if you will - even though there is no memory of her adventures. 
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
DAK
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 01:47:33 pm »

I loved Donna and agree that her fate was terrible - but I guess the silver lining is that she ended up getting what she had been looking for since she was first introduced - wedding, husband, financial security, etc.  So in the end, she is able to go on and have a good life - a happy ending if you will - even though there is no memory of her adventures. 
  This is true, good point.   Smiley

I always wondered how they explained the gap in her life while she traveled with the Doctor.  Did he bring her home the day after she left?  I hope he packed her clothing for her, because it looks like she brought along everything she owned!  I'd hate to try to explain to her why her closet was empty. LOL
Report Spam   Logged
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 09:50:43 pm »

The way Donna developed as a person, even without the Doctor in SITL indicated she would have always *got there* in the end, it was just that the Doctor helped her overcome her insecurities quicker.  As for the "no happy endings" thing, yeah I am odd, I like to cry, I love Graham Masterton horror as they rarely have happy endings.  I am very happy in real life, though, perhaos it's like fancying the bad boys when you'd only date the nice boys irl?  *shrugs*
Report Spam   Logged

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 12:04:28 pm »

Heh, just found this thread and had to comment!

I love love love Donna so much! Easily my favourite companion. When I heard she was the S4 companion, I was so irked and thought it would be terrible. Alas, she was absolutely fantastic. She had the most emotional journey of any of the companions IMO, and suffered the worst fate.

It sucks that some people can't see past Catherine Tate to actually realise how amazing Donna is, and how great an actress Tate actually is. She gets a lot of undeserved hate, but I'm glad she's so popular on this forum!

I agree she shouldn't have been in TEOT. I was so so ecstatic to hear she was in it, but those 2 episodes butchered everything good about Doctor Who.

Series 4 is the best because of great writing, exciting stories and Donna.
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
BlueRose

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 05:22:46 pm »

She reminds me so much of a gal who is a childhood friend of mine that I can't NOT like her. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: