The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 02:54:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Astrid Peth

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Astrid Peth  (Read 88 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: June 10, 2012, 02:20:23 pm »

Astrid Peth was a native of the planet Sto who worked as a waitress aboard the Titanic.

Astrid was a feisty young woman, who longed to discover the wonders of the universe and set foot on other worlds. She was thrilled when the Doctor granted her wish by allowing her to visit Earth. She was unhappy with her job as a waitress on the Titanic and was hurt by Rickston's harsh words for her.

She formed a close bond with the passenger Bannakaffalatta and was distraught when he sacrificed his life to destroy the Host threatening the survivors. She also began to experience romantic feelings for the Doctor. They kissed twice and she ultimately gave her life to save Earth and him from Max Capricorn's plot.

For most of her life, Astrid dreamed of seeing other planets. She met the Tenth Doctor when she broke a glass and he offered to help her clean it up. She refused. When he told her he was a stowaway and she offered to get him another glass of Champagne, he decided to take her on a teleport trip down to Earth.

During the course of the story Astrid asked the Doctor if she could be his companion and he agreed. Before they parted she kissed him, claiming it was a tradition.

To save the Doctor and defeat Max Capricorn, she lifted Capricorn and his life support system with a forklift and threw him into the engines. The forklift's brakes were cut by a halo thrown by a Heavenly Host. She plunged to her death along with Capricorn, but was dematerialised by an automatic function of her teleport bracelet. Using the advanced transmat system, the Doctor tried to recover Astrid, but only succeeded in creating a partially cohesive form, neither truly alive nor dead, trapped in a non-corporeal form for all eternity. He allowed her atoms to scatter into space, fulfilling her dream of travelling the galaxy.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 09:23:49 pm »

It was only when episode but Astrids story had a whole beginning, middle and end to it and I think that was great. It was bittersweet but it fit the story really well. I like her lots.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:23:24 pm »

I liked her a lot. I think Kylie took a bit too much slack from some quarters. I thought she put in a great performance and was a cool, likeable character.
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 11:18:03 pm »

I think Astrid was a perfect one off character. She was likeable and we rooted for her. I don't think there was enough there to keep her going long term but that's half of what's so good about her. She was well rounded and her story was told well.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 03:48:27 pm »

Exactly.  She was the kind of character who leaves you wanting more, but without feeling it's a major missed chance  I thought she was excellent.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 10:59:57 pm »

TS sums it up perfectly. A greatly realised on off character that filled the story really well.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 11:54:51 am »

I was excited but a bit skeptical when I heard about the casting. I think Kylie is awesome and did a great job but I think it's always a bit risky casting a name on name alone. I think it really helped bring in the numbers though. It brought in fans on both sides and the press attention seemed massive all over. You can't buy that kind of promotion. Luckily, I really think it all worked out in the end.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 02:42:01 pm »

It was only ever in the press that I ever saw people complain about the character. I thought she was great and I think she went over quite well in fandom too. She was a perfect one off companion.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 11:49:07 pm »

I'd love to see her again. I don't think there is a good enough reason for it though and I think it would seem a bit random like when Craig came back, but I liked her enough to want to see her again and that has to be a good thing.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 11:27:03 pm »

Nice enough character and I think Kylie did a good job but I felt content with her story by the end of it and don't feel a real need to see her again.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: