The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 10:18:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review The War Machines

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 3 (27.3%)
4/5 - Really Good - 7 (63.6%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 1 (9.1%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 0 (0%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review The War Machines  (Read 247 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: June 10, 2012, 02:34:22 pm »

There will be no new story posted in TIQ next week so this is the third of three stories posted to get you through until we update again the following week.

The TARDIS arrives in London in 1966 and the First Doctor and Dodo visit the Post Office Tower. There they meet Professor Brett, whose revolutionary new computer WOTAN (Will Operating Thought ANalogue) can actually think for itself and is shortly to be linked up to other major computers around the world - a project overseen by civil servant Sir Charles Summer.

It transpires, however, that WOTAN considers humans to be inferior to machines and should therefore be ruled by them. Exerting a hypnotic influence, it arranges the construction of War Machines - heavily-armed, self-contained mobile computers - with which to take over the world.

The War Machines was the tenth and final story of Season 3 of Doctor Who. There were several companion cast changes in this story - Dodo Chaplet, played by Jackie Lane, left, while Polly Wright and Ben Jackson, played by Anneke Wills and Michael Craze, joined.

The next story will be posted on Sunday June 24th
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 09:44:26 pm »

I've given all the others full marks so what the hell! 5/5!

I love this story! The first time I watched this I really wasn't keen. Every time since it's gotten a little better and now I think it's awesome. It really does get better with every watch and is one of my favourite First Doctor stories.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:33:10 pm »

I'm giving it a four. It's a good story but it takes a bit to get going and some of the characters, particularly the men working with and around Wotan, were annoying. I think that Dodo's departure was awful too.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 08:38:37 pm »

This is a wonderful little story. The writer Ian Stuart Black took forward an idea pitched by Kit Pedler which was ahead of its time, grappling with artificial intelligence, militarisation of technology and the beginnings of the internet.

It is a story that is not without its problems; it simply glosses over the departure of Dodo (an unforgivable oversight by the production team), The Machines themselves do not look the most menacing of things and the overall plot has a number of holes in it. But these are small quibbles. The story moves along at a rapid pace - it is not a huge character piece but instead relies on incidents (and there are plenty of these).

Hartnell is wonderful as the Doctor and the whole supporting cast are impressive. The choice of location is brilliant (the Post Office Tower still looks modern and stylish). But top of the tree comes WOTAN! Any story that has mad super computers and refers to "Doctor Who" is alright by me Smiley

I scored this 4/5, dropping a point for the minor quibbles but overall, very enjoyable.
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 10:32:17 pm »

4/5 from me. It's a strong story with some great themes but I think the whole thing with the way they wrote out Dodo was enough to make me mark it down.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 10:44:47 pm »

I'm giving it full marks. Perhaps it's a bit generous because the story isn't without it's faults but despite them I still like the story a lot. I think Ben and Polly were good additions to the show and I think the Doctor was on great form. It's a shame about the way Dodo was shown the door but it's the way the cookie crumbles I guess.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 03:45:54 pm »

I've given it 4.  Not one I'd pick out as a favourite First Doctor story, but it's good and ahead of its time in a number of ways.  When you think about it, it was really the template for most of the UNIT stories - the Doctor helps the authorities and the military counter a threat to present day Earth.  Ben, in particular, showed his potential as a new companion, but I agree that Dodo deserved a better departure.
Report Spam   Logged

Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 01:51:13 pm »

Like Exterminate, the more I watch this story the more I enjoy it. I wasn't very keen the first few times but it really is a grower. I've gone with a 4. I don't think it is strong enough to warrant full marks but it's a strong story nonetheless.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 11:56:31 pm »

I've gone with a three. I enjoy it and think there are lots of great aspects to it but I think there are stories that are better and more deserving higher points. I agree with some of the others though that I like it more the more I see it. There are a couple of stories I feel that way about.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 11:42:43 pm »

Third 4 of the evening for me. There is plenty in there that works but I think like a lot of the classics it could have done with losing about an episode worth of filler, slow paced stuffed. The pacing of it though is my biggest criticism so that's not too bad.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 12:31:18 am »

Full marks from me. This is one of my favourite Hartnell stories. I love it.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: