The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 01:59:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The First Doctor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The First Doctor  (Read 460 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: June 10, 2012, 02:52:29 pm »

The First Doctor was the first incarnation of the Time Lord known as the Doctor. Most accounts of him were drawn from close to the end of his life.

Initially, he had as companions his granddaughter Susan Foreman and her kidnapped teachers, Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright. He bade Susan farewell to let her live a happier life with a man with whom she had fallen in love. Later, during a confrontation with the Daleks, the Doctor used one of their time capsules to return Ian and Barbara to their proper time - something he had been unable to manage with the TARDIS.

After Susan's departure, the Doctor gained a new companion in Vicki Pallister. She reminded him of Susan and the Doctor saw her as a surrogate to fill her spot in his travels with Ian and Barbara. Vicki left the Doctor's company, feeling her time with him was over and she needed to move on.

Soon after the departure of Ian and Barbara, the Doctor gained a new companion in Steven Taylor, with whom he had a relatively uneasy relationship. Steven was bitter towards him, blaming him for the deaths of Katarina and Sara Kingdom. However, the Doctor was forgiven and companion Dodo Chaplet joined them on their travels.

Ultimately, Dodo became injured in an adventure and decided to remain home in her own time, while Steven decided to stay and help a civilisation they had encountered.

Right before his battle with the Cybermen of Mondas, the Doctor had gained two new companions in Ben Jackson and Polly Wright, to whom he was much more kind to prevent them from leaving as Steven had.

He met his end after battling the Cybermen for the first time on Earth. He was forced to regenerate into his second body from exhaustion and a loss of strength to maintain his ancient body.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 09:55:49 pm »

I love the First Doctor and I think he is particularly good in this. He really carried the story and showed that he still could. It was nice to see because his role had been minimised in many stories before this.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:52:44 pm »

I always think that the First Doctor is great and this isn't an exception. It felt sort of like one last hurrah for him. I know other stories came later but I think this was his final peak.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 08:03:08 pm »

I always think that the First Doctor is great and this isn't an exception. It felt sort of like one last hurrah for him. I know other stories came later but I think this was his final peak.

I would kinda agree with this. I think although he was only 58, William Hartnell looked a lot older and by this time the illness which was to ultimately cost him his life had begun to take hold. Hartnell tends to get overlooked in Classic Who (and I am somewhat guilty of this myself) but his importance in establishing the show cannot be overstated. There were genuine fears that when he decided to leave, the show would have to fold as he was so integral to its success.

I think this does represent his last, great contribution to Doctor Who (neither the Savages nor The Tenth Planet were particularly strong stories for him) and in particular show-cased a model of the Doctor that we have never really seen since. Hartnell was very much a product of his time and it is unlikely we will ever see his style of Doctor again. But when he got it right, he was wonderful.
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 10:45:34 pm »

The First Doctor is one of my favourites. I agree with VA, he's often overlooked. Perhaps more than any other Doctor because he doesn't have the good Doctor/bad Doctor debate of others like Colin Baker. He did so much for the show though and really set a standard. He didn't have anyone else to base the character on. He created him. It's a shame his illness got the better of him towards the end but he still always put in a good effort.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 10:50:33 pm »

It's interesting that VA mentioned his age. I've never really thought of that before. It's so easy to think that he is a man heading towards 80
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 04:03:52 pm »

Hartnell was my original Doctor, and there's always a part of me that still regards him as the "real" Doctor.  Although he was a bit inconsistent by this stage, I love his performance in this story.

I think this does represent his last, great contribution to Doctor Who (neither the Savages nor The Tenth Planet were particularly strong stories for him)

The Savages came before this - the other later story was The Smugglers.
Report Spam   Logged

Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 02:09:52 pm »

I find a lot of Hartnell's performances to be hit and miss. This was one of the better ones from his last year but was nowhere near the best he was capable of. I think it wasn't lack of effort though. His illness was pretty well documented. It's a shame, but I guess it happens.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 03:44:03 pm »

I think by this point he couldn't go on much longer, and I don't think the current dynamic could have either. From what I have seen on the DVD extras and read in interviews William Hartnell didn't get on at all with Anneke and Michael and she has said a few times how she would have walked had she had to work with him any longer. I think though that rather than being anything personal he was just against all the changes and the comings and goings. He had a good run though and was in some great stories, but I agree with others that this was his final high.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 12:04:03 am »

It's interesting that VA mentioned his age. I've never really thought of that before. It's so easy to think that he is a man heading towards 80

That's what I was thinking! I never would have guessed he was that young. Was it just age though or was he ill with anything specific like cancer or something?
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 12:00:23 am »

I think by this point he couldn't go on much longer, and I don't think the current dynamic could have either. From what I have seen on the DVD extras and read in interviews William Hartnell didn't get on at all with Anneke and Michael and she has said a few times how she would have walked had she had to work with him any longer.

I knew things were often frosty on set with him and some of his co-stars but I never realised it had gotten that bad! Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 12:38:11 am »

That's what I was thinking! I never would have guessed he was that young. Was it just age though or was he ill with anything specific like cancer or something?

I don't know for sure but I don't think he died of anything like cancer. I think it was just old age and his mind was going a bit. I think he had a stroke as well but I don't know if that was a contributing factor.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 02:13:02 am »

I just checked on Wikipedia.  He suffered from arteriosclerosis, and he had a series of strokes towards the end of his life.  He'd hardly have died simply of old age - he was only 67.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: