The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 07:59:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The young ones

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The young ones  (Read 262 times)
PandoricaPond
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Ten/Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Poll Voter Level 3
« on: October 07, 2010, 05:11:49 pm »

Since about, season 2, I've been thinking there should be a child companion. Not too young. Maybe a teenager? Maybe one of team SJA crosses over. Or someone from previous episodes of DW. Maybe someone completely new. Either way, I'd like to see it. It'd change the dynamic of the show just enough that it'd freshen things up. Brand new TARDIS. Brand new Doctor. Brand new type of companion. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

#Doctor: Amy was frightened. I was frightened. But we survived, you know, and the relief of it... And so she kissed me. #Rory: And you kissed her back. #Doctor: No, I kissed her mouth. #Rory: Funny.

#Companions; DOCTOR!!!

#Doctor: RUN!!!

#Doctor: Bowties are cool.

#Doctor: Fezzes are cool
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 05:19:53 pm »

I would worry that having a younger companion would mean the whole perspective of the show risks becoming younger also. At the moment it works in SJA because that is the demographic it is aimed at, but I wouldnt like it in DW.

If I remember rightly, Rose was meant to be 14 but it got vetoed
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

PandoricaPond
RP Moderator
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 05:26:43 pm »

Actually, yeah, I see your point. And it also risks rendering SJA kinda pointless. Huh?
Report Spam   Logged

#Doctor: Amy was frightened. I was frightened. But we survived, you know, and the relief of it... And so she kissed me. #Rory: And you kissed her back. #Doctor: No, I kissed her mouth. #Rory: Funny.

#Companions; DOCTOR!!!

professoryard
Hatchling

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 3 Webmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 08:13:16 pm »

I'm not sure you could have the Doctor wander off with a child anymore, that's something for much more innocent times.
Report Spam   Logged

Somebody else wrote this then ran away...
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 08:34:31 pm »

I'm with Professor Yard on this
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Mind_Robber
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 10:29:36 pm »

Fun idea, but I don't think it would work. DW is aimed at an adult demographic, and bringing a child onto the show would bring in a younger demographic and turn it into a kids show.

Still, it might be fun to have a child on board for one trip Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

There's one thing you never put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... me!
PandoricaPond
RP Moderator
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 10:34:28 pm »

I think that the SJA kids should get a trip on the TARDIS at least. Screw the Judoon & their "laws" Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

#Companions; DOCTOR!!!

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 02:23:48 am »

I don't know that I like the idea of a full time child companion - but I like seeing The Doctor interact with kids.  His scenes with Amelia are fantastic.  And I loved how in The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood he didn't even consider that he should treat the boy as a boy and not just a regular person.  He didn't think it strange to let him make the decision to go outside where there was danger to get his headphones.  It didn't even occur to The Doctor that it would be an issue.  I thought it was interesting because it showed some of his 'alien-ness'.  Not sure if I explained that right - sorry if it makes no sense!
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 08:39:03 pm »

I cant say I would be too keen on this idea. Perhaps in a scenario where a child was taken along as the companion of someone else, like someones child or something, but not a Doctor/child series long companionship
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 10:12:27 pm »

Since about, season 2, I've been thinking there should be a child companion. Not too young. Maybe a teenager? Maybe one of team SJA crosses over. Or someone from previous episodes of DW. Maybe someone completely new. Either way, I'd like to see it. It'd change the dynamic of the show just enough that it'd freshen things up. Brand new TARDIS. Brand new Doctor. Brand new type of companion. Smiley

I love the idea of spring cleaning the show and I like the way you are thinking about trying to add that other dimension. I have some thoughts on this - in certain aspects I agree with you and but I also think there are some problems.

My favourite companion from Classic Who was a teenager and he (almost) always comes out as being one of the most hated companions (yes people, I'm talking about Adric again but this time it really is relevant). There are three main reasons why the young companions don't really work. Firstly there is the problem of finding an actor who can really pull it off. Moff struck gold with little Amelia Pond and I swear I would love to see her again but she is very much the exception. Secondly is the legal dimension - children (and by that I mean up to 18 yr olds) have very strict rules regarding how they can work and the hours they can do. Its ok on a show like SJA where the schedule isn't too punishing but for something like Dr Who which operates on a really harsh and demanding schedule then it would be very difficult legally for the companion to be under age. Finally, there is the story telling dynamic. Most (admittedly not all) stories have a couple of strands to their narrative structure whereby the companion gets split from the Doctor, the two then make discoveries and get back together for the ending. With a younger companion this becomes harder to do in a believable way. If the Dr is seen as letting a child consistently come into danger it diminishes his power and his aura. 

Now, having said all of that, where I do agree with you is that I think the incorporation of a younger companion on an ad hoc - or even one off basis will work really well - the story can be specially adapted and the working regs won't impact on a one or two show basis. I return again to Amelia and the success she had in TEH and TBB - more of that I think would really add to the show.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: