The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 05:51:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review The Sun Makers

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 2 (18.2%)
4/5 - Really Good - 4 (36.4%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 4 (36.4%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 1 (9.1%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review The Sun Makers  (Read 331 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: June 24, 2012, 08:25:17 pm »

Back to the Fourth Doctor in this weeks story, season 15's The Sun Makers.

The TARDIS, along with the Fourth Doctor, Leela and K9 Mark I, arrives on Pluto in the far future. They discover that the planet has a breathable atmosphere and enjoys the heat from six suns. The humans who live there are taxed and exploited heavily. When Leela is captured, the Doctor must save her and stop the Company, before it is too late...

The Sun Makers was the fourth story of Season 15 of Doctor Who. It took on a political note with writer Robert Holmes outing his dislike of the Inland Revenue's taxation. For this reason, much of its plot involved subtle jokes in reference to this.

It was usually against BBC policy to allow script editors to write for their own show, but Holmes had received special permission to script a limited number of serials per year. The Sun Makers was the fifth story Holmes wrote during his tenure.

Holmes was inspired by Adrian Berry's novel, The Iron Sun: Crossing The Universe Through Black Holes, that proposed the idea of man-made stars. Holmes also wanted to couple the idea with Britain's former colonial ruling. After Graham Williams decided to keep K9 on as a series regular, Holmes, as script editor, was one of the first to know and was easily able to integrate the character into the story.

Throughout production of The Sun Makers, Louise Jameson continued to be dissatisfied with the direction of her character. At one point, Leela was to be killed off at the serial's climax. Despite this, Jameson has noted on multiple occasions that this story is her favourite.

The next story will be posted on Sunday July 1st
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 06:36:36 pm »

Despite it's popularity I have never been much of a fan of this. I think it takes far too long to pick up pace and get going and while I know it gets better towards the end the boredom usually kicks in before I get there. It isn't all bad but perhaps a bit overtly political for my tastes. I've given it a three but I think I should have gone with a two.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:05:44 pm »

If there was a poll of "Who is your all time favourite classic Dr Who writer" I suspect the result would be a runaway victory for Robert Holmes. This story is an example of why he is so widely regarded. At first sight this is a not so subtle allegory about the over mighty state and burdensome taxation. What Holmes actually has written is a simple blueprint for a revolution (dissatisfaction with the state spending of the revenue, a disenfranchised underclass with nothing to lose and the final, bloody act of execution). When viewed in that context, this story makes much more sense.

It has a wonderful punchy script, Tom Baker was at the height of his powers and there was a lovely tension between the Doctor and Leela (mirrored by the off screen tension between Baker and Jameson). This is a true ensemble piece, however, and the supporting cast are just fabulous. The story itself rattles along and the ending (the defenstration of the Gatherer) is truly shocking. I thought this was a fantastic tale and one I can (and have) returned to again.

5/5 for me - an absolute corker of a story with a brilliant script and superb cast.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 11:50:57 pm »

I'm going with a three as well. It does have a lot going for it but it's just not my type of story. I can't really mark it down for being bad because it isn't but it's just not enjoyable for me personally.
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 07:53:31 pm »

I've gone with a four. It's not my favourite story or even my favourite from the era but it's pretty enjoyable and easy to watch.
Report Spam   Logged

Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 11:54:24 pm »

I'm giving it a four. I didn't realise how much I enjoyed it until I rewatched it last night. It's one of those stories that I don't think much about but then when I watch it I enjoy it. It's not without it's faults but it's still a pretty good story.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 12:27:53 pm »

This is getting a four from me. It's one of those stories I enjoy but I always sort of wonder what all the fuss is about. It's one of those stories that everyone seems to rate really highly but to me feels a little overhyped for what it is. Enjoyable enough though
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 01:37:45 pm »

I've given it a five.  It's not one of the more obviously "great" stories, but I've always loved it - a wonderful idea, and lovely dialogue.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 02:15:57 pm »

This is the only story I have ever turned off without finishing. The acting and characters all seemed fine but by episode two I felt bored beyond belief. I don't know if I just wasn't in the right mind for it today or if perhaps it's just not my cup of tea but I wasn't enjoying it. I will get around to watching it all at some point I am sure but for now I am scoring it a 2. Perhaps not totally fair because I didn't get to the end but it's better than the one I felt like giving it.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
The Cyber Mistress
Earthling
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 11:55:23 am »

This was the first Fourth Doctor story that I watched and it set a high bar but I've since seen a lot that I find to be better. This has got 4/5 from me
Report Spam   Logged
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 09:02:38 pm »

I've gone with a three. It's a good middle of the road story that does what it sets out to achieve but at the same time, for me, is nothing particularly special.
Report Spam   Logged
ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 10:54:18 am »

Season 15 (though I am only 2/3 rds of the way through it) seems to be widely and rightly regarded as one of the weaker seasons, at least from the time Williams takes over (Horror of Fang Rock seems to have a pretty good rep, again I think rightly). Opinions seems to divided over these episodes. I have seen several reviews of people who really loved Image of the Fendahl and those who hated it, and likewise The Sun Makers seems to have more than its fair share of detractors, as well as its admirers.

So, is it that bad? I don't think so -- it is certainly a damn sight better than The Invisible Enemy and Image of the Fendahl. Is it that good? No, I don't think it is that great either. It is a perfectly serviceable, middle-of-the-road sort of story deserving a middle-of-the-road 3/5.

I think one of the reasons people don't like it so much is the use of humour. The Collector and the Gatherer are pantomime-villains who ham it up with gusto. I rather like the performances, and like the fact that they are given a different motive than usual. Instead of taking over the universe, they just want to tax it! And I like the fact that nobody seems to really know why the Company (praise the Company!) is there or what it is doing. Even the Collector doesn't really seem to know ("We make profit! Take a look at our prospectus!"). On the minus side, I think some of the humour (and, curious to say, some of the violence) seems ill-judged, and things like the red button jumping out with a boing and the Collector disappearing figuratively down the toilet are aimed at children. I do love the Collector going round in circles in his chair though!

Some of the criticisms I have seen have missed the point I think. The corridors are boring -- yes, its meant to be a grim, featureless dystopia! The same goes for the character of Marn who is supposed to be as sexless and featureless as possible. She is just the kind of person that someone like the Gatherer would keep around. Mandrel could have been played better, I think, but I like the idea of rebels who are not especially heroic.

BTW, I think it is better than (similar in some ways) The Caves of Androzani. COA is one of those stories that I seem to have I blind-spot for. Nearly everyone seems to love it but I've always though it was pretty weak, even if it did make Peri my favourite companions Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: