The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 05:46:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Fourth Doctor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fourth Doctor  (Read 230 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: June 24, 2012, 08:36:49 pm »

The Fourth Doctor was the fourth incarnation of the Time Lord known as the Doctor. He left all ties of his former exile behind on Earth, setting off to travel the cosmos. Initially travelling with Sarah Jane and Harry, Harry chose to remain on Earth when the opportunity arose. The Doctor and Sarah continued on their adventures until the Doctor was summoned to Gallifrey, necessitating that he leave Sarah Jane behind.

After leaving Gallifrey, he met and travelled with Leela of the Sevateem. During his travels with Leela, the Doctor gained a new companion in the robot dog, K9. Returning once more to Gallifrey to stop an invasion, Leela and the original K9 she stayed behind there. On the White Guardian's orders, the Doctor began looking for the Key to Time with fellow Time Lord Romana, and K9 Mark II. Once that search was concluded, the Doctor and a newly-regenerated Romana went on the run from the Black Guardian. They accidentally passed into the smaller Universe of E-Space.

During his travels in E-Space, the Doctor gained a new companion in the young mathematical genius Adric. Romana and K9 stayed behind in E-Space as the Doctor and Adric departed for N-Space.

Once again encountering his old enemy the Master, the Doctor and Adric met a Traken girl named Nyssa. She would later join them, along with the human Tegan, to help him prevent the destruction of the Universe by Entropy. While stopping the Master from using this threat to blackmail the Universe into servitude, the Doctor fell from the Pharos Project telescope and regenerated for the fourth time.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 06:44:58 pm »

This is during the couple of years that I think Tom Baker was at the absolute top of his game. I don't think too much of the story but I do think he put on a great show.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 12:02:57 am »

I liked him in this but for me his performance didn't stand out particularly. I think he has been much better in many other stories.
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 07:55:27 pm »

I think Tom Baker's problem in this (and many other stories) is that he couldn't disguise his dislike for the actor alongside him. It's a great performance but the stuff between him and Leela was oddly uncomfortable at times.
Report Spam   Logged

Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 12:09:31 am »

I liked him a lot in this. I'm not the biggest fan of Tom Baker but I do think he put in a great performance in this.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 12:36:57 pm »

I think Tom Baker's problem in this (and many other stories) is that he couldn't disguise his dislike for the actor alongside him. It's a great performance but the stuff between him and Leela was oddly uncomfortable at times.

While I agree with you to an extent I think the tension between him and Leela was more something that was built up in the stories than something seeping over from personal issues because there are many occasions when they appear to get on extremely well. I think the tension on screen is more to do with their differences and the vastly opposing ways in which they tackle things. That's how I've always seen it
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 01:52:26 pm »

What I've heard is that they didn't get on well at first, mainly because TB resented having to have a companion at all, rather than her in particular, but they warmed to one another later.  As this is quite late in her run, I presume it had happened by then.  I remember somewhere hearing Louise Jameson say that The Sun Makers was the story she enjoyed making most.

Tom Baker didn't seem to have got completely out of hand by this stage, as he did later, and there's still a good balance between his eccentricity and the story.  He's never been my favourite Doctor, but when everything works with him, he comes close.  The Doctor's I rate higher, such as Jon Pertwee (and Matt Smith, for that matter) are the ones who never fail to give a great performance, even if the story's not wonderful.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 02:28:20 pm »

I don't like him. He puts on good performances but theres something about him I just can't take to and I certainly don't see what all the fuss is about.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
The Cyber Mistress
Earthling
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 12:13:18 pm »

I think Tom baker could be awesome but I think that his performance often hinges on the script and the cast and whatever else rather than him always just giving it his best. He often seemed like he couldn't be bothered
Report Spam   Logged
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 09:14:47 pm »

In terms of acting, I think Tom Baker played the role really oddly in this story. I can't quite put my finger on what it wasn, but it just seemed really different. As for the writing, for the first couple of episodes he sort of has you wondering if he's totally oblivious to everything. He never really is though, is he!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: