The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 01:46:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Fourth Doctor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fourth Doctor  (Read 155 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: June 24, 2012, 09:02:13 pm »

The Fourth Doctor was the fourth incarnation of the Time Lord known as the Doctor. He left all ties of his former exile behind on Earth, setting off to travel the cosmos. Initially travelling with Sarah Jane and Harry, Harry chose to remain on Earth when the opportunity arose. The Doctor and Sarah continued on their adventures until the Doctor was summoned to Gallifrey, necessitating that he leave Sarah Jane behind.

After leaving Gallifrey, he met and travelled with Leela of the Sevateem. During his travels with Leela, the Doctor gained a new companion in the robot dog, K9. Returning once more to Gallifrey to stop an invasion, Leela and the original K9 she stayed behind there. On the White Guardian's orders, the Doctor began looking for the Key to Time with fellow Time Lord Romana, and K9 Mark II. Once that search was concluded, the Doctor and a newly-regenerated Romana went on the run from the Black Guardian. They accidentally passed into the smaller Universe of E-Space.

During his travels in E-Space, the Doctor gained a new companion in the young mathematical genius Adric. Romana and K9 stayed behind in E-Space as the Doctor and Adric departed for N-Space.

Once again encountering his old enemy the Master, the Doctor and Adric met a Traken girl named Nyssa. She would later join them, along with the human Tegan, to help him prevent the destruction of the Universe by Entropy. While stopping the Master from using this threat to blackmail the Universe into servitude, the Doctor fell from the Pharos Project telescope and regenerated for the fourth time.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 10:29:33 pm »

One of my favourite performances of any Doctor!! Tom Baker acted his socks off in this.
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 09:36:53 pm »

I think he still had the excitement of getting the gig by this point and it really showed in his performance. You can say what you like about Tom Baker but when he was good he was brilliant.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 11:22:57 pm »

You can say what you like about Tom Baker but when he was good he was brilliant.

Pretty much what I said last week Cool  I think he kept the standard up pretty well over the first three series, and a bit more intermittently after that.  The writing (or perhaps keeping him on script) helps too, as he's not being funny and flippant all the time at this stage, which gives him the moral weight that the Doctor needs.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 08:46:07 pm »

This is one of my favourite Fourth Doctor performances. I really loved him in his early days but his performance over the years got weaker and he was annoying by the end. I can pick and choose what I watch these days but I think if I was a fan then and had to do a seven year stretch I'd have given up.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 08:25:34 pm »

I think he still had the excitement of getting the gig by this point and it really showed in his performance. You can say what you like about Tom Baker but when he was good he was brilliant.

This! I'm not his biggest fan but there's no doubting that he had some moments of brilliance in the role.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 08:25:43 pm »

This! I'm not his biggest fan but there's no doubting that he had some moments of brilliance in the role.
Report Spam   Logged

The Cyber Mistress
Earthling

View Profile
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 11:05:49 pm »

I like the Fourth Doctor a lot and I think this was a great performance from him. I can't deny what others have said about his performances getting weaker as time went on but based on this story alone I think he is great.
Report Spam   Logged
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 10:03:11 pm »

Tom Baker put in 100% here and it really showed. He was great.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 08:02:33 am »

Tom Baker's reputation has suffered a little because of the sheer number of episodes. Given the fact he was in the role for 7 years and with 3 different production teams it was inevitable that there would be some lemons in there. But make no mistake, on the top of his game (as we saw in this episode) Tom Baker's Doctor was very very special.

I agree with Nyki. If he had left when Holmes/Hinchcliffe had left then his reputation would have been stellar. As it is, I think he was pretty sensational and (in his time) he was every bit as much of a superstar as Matt Smith or David Tennant.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 12:33:45 pm »

I think VA is right. With him in the role for so long and doing so many stories there are far more opportunities for duff stories to creep in. No Doctor has had a perfect run but the holes in the Fourth Doctors tenure seem more simply because there was more of it. I'm not his biggest fan by any means but I am able to see when he was excellent and when he was in an excellent story.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 05:08:08 pm »

Actually, I'd say he only really had three out-and-out lemons (Creature from the Pit, Horns of Nimon & Meglos) though there were others with lemon flavouring and a few in the later years that were decent stories almost in spite of him.  Still not a bad record.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: