The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 20, 2024, 05:25:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Wilfred Mott

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wilfred Mott  (Read 69 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: July 08, 2012, 05:20:29 pm »

Wilfred Mott was the father of Sylvia Noble and the maternal grandfather of Donna Noble. He was also a one-time traveling companion of the Tenth Doctor. A witness to several alien invasions of Earth in 2009, he was instrumental in stopping the Time Lords' return from within the time-lock which had sealed them in the Last Great Time War. In that effort, he trapped himself in a chamber about to be flooded with lethal radiation. His rescue was the proximate cause of the Doctor's regeneration into his eleventh incarnation.

Wilfred had a positive attitude. Even in a crisis, he turned to good war-time spirit. He was a strong patriot, loyal to Queen Elizabeth and his beloved England. He also had a good relationship with his granddaughter Donna Noble and encouraged her companionship with the Doctor, even keeping it a secret from his daughter, Sylvia, for a time.

After the Doctor had to erase Donna's memory in the aftermath of foiling Davros's latest plan, Wilfred's strong spirit seemed to have gone. That was probably because he believed that she was better with the Doctor. As the TARDIS dematerialised, Wilfred saluted in respect.

Wilfred also proved a loyal companion to the Doctor, from searching him out when prompted to by the mysterious woman, to giving the Doctor his gun and prompting him to kill the Master, as well as serving as a gunner when the ship they were on was under attack. He convinced the Vinvocci to bring him back to help the Doctor. He also showed a willingness for self-sacrifice by saving someone trapped in a radiation booth and being willing to die there so the Doctor could live, saying he was an old man.

He developed a paternal relationship with the Doctor, trying to comfort him when he began to cry during their conversation and wanted him to be happy and have someone to make him laugh. He was also willing to give up his life to let the Doctor live. This relationship was picked up by others, with the Master sarcastically referring to Wilfred as the Doctor's father. Wilfred admitted he would be proud to have the Doctor for a son and the Doctor said he'd be honoured if Wilfred was his father.

At Donna's second wedding, Wilf met the Doctor one last time. The Doctor gave Wilf and Sylvia a winning lottery ticket he had purchased with money borrowed from Geoff Noble, then left. Wilf and Sylvia gave Donna the ticket and Wilf tearfully saluted the Doctor as he took off.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 08:44:09 pm »

The saviour of the story for me. Wilf was an amazing character and had more life and longevity in him than many of the companions we've had to endure over the years. Making him the companion for the story was a genius idea. Much like characters such as Barbara, I'd never have anything bad to say about Wilf other than we should have had a bit more of the brilliant Bernard Cribbins on the show.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 08:41:52 pm »

Wilf was always worth watching and I was pleased to find out he was the companion for this story. I loved his scenes with the Doctor but I also really liked the stuff with the Silver Cloak OAP brigade too. Wilf and his merry men Grin
Report Spam   Logged
The Cyber Mistress
Earthling
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:18:28 pm »

He had me in tears in this story more than once. I loved Wilf and I think his partnership with Ten was a great idea. They should have had an adventure sooner! I'd absolutely love to see him in the show again.
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 11:26:25 pm »

Wilf is ace. Not literally, obviously Tongue He is the Grandad everyone would love to have and I think that's why so many people have taken to the character. He was great in this and his scenes were by far the most watchable.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 09:56:07 am »

I agree with what everyone else has said so far. I love Wilf
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 03:46:21 pm »

Wilf saved the story for me. I think if it wasn't for him I'd probably never bother with this story.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 10:10:06 pm »

Wilf is a wonderful character, and most of the best bits in this were at least partly down to him.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 12:14:43 am »

The world needs more Wilf. I'd love to see him again. Bernard Cribbins was by far the best part about this story.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: