The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 10:42:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review The Ribos Operation

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 0 (0%)
4/5 - Really Good - 8 (72.7%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 3 (27.3%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 0 (0%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review The Ribos Operation  (Read 316 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: July 08, 2012, 06:49:37 pm »

This weeks story takes us back to the Fourth Doctor and the beginning of his quest for the Key to Time in The Ribos Operation.

The Doctor is recruited by the White Guardian to seek the six segments of the Key to Time. He is given a new assistant, the Time Lady Romana. The quest for the first segment takes them to Ribos, a medieval planet that galactic confidence trickster Garron is trying to sell to the Graff Vynda-K.

The Ribos Operation was the first story of Season 16 of Doctor Who. It began the season-long quest to find the legendary Key to Time.

All four parts of The Ribos Operation ran over the allocated time, so much material was cut from the broadcast version. Some of this material was retained in Ian Marter's novelisation.

There was much debate as to whether K9 should return after the problems the prop had caused in season fifteen. The character was popular with younger audiences however, so with the assurance that the new prop was more efficient, Graham Williams approved the introduction of K9 Mark II.

Tom Baker's lip was cut in an accident in which a dog bit him. This meant he had a visible plaster case upon his face in the publicity stills for this story. The scar from the injury remained visible in much of this and subsequent stories.

The Ribos Operation was notable for seeing a number of debut appearances. It was the first serial to feature Mary Tamm as companion Romana and was also the first to properly feature K9 Mark II. The White Guardian also made his debut. He was not seen again until Enlightenment, though his voice was heard in The Stones of Blood.

The next story will be posted on Sunday 22nd July Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

The Cyber Mistress
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 11:25:14 pm »

This story gets a score of 4/5 from me. I think it's a great tale and a strong intro for Romana. The plot sort of has it all. Intrigue, deception, happy bits, sad bits, aliens, planets and all with great performances. It wasn't perfect though. Some of the dialogue was a bit clunky and Romana was perhaps at her most annoying here, but I still think it's great.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 07:57:03 pm »

I gave it a four.  It's not perfect, but it does a pretty good job of introducing Romana and the key and telling a pretty good story.  And it's worth an extra point for Binro.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 09:30:43 pm »

I've given this a three. It was an ok story and it worked well as an introduction for Romana but it wasn't the best of the Key season.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 07:40:32 pm »

I always feel a bit iffy rating the stories if it is the first time I have watched it. I know from experience that there are a lot of stories (The War Machines, The Claws Of Axos etc) that I have grown more and more fond of on repeated viewings and so rating a story after only seeing it once seems a bit unfair because it probably would receive higher votes had I seen it more. It sort of puts them at a disadvantage. I think this is going to be one of those times. I'm giving it a three, which might be fair, but I found myself getting distracted half way through. It wasn't holding my interest particularly. It wasn't a bad story, it just didn't reel me in like others have done.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 09:21:19 pm »

This one is getting a 4 from me. I think it has a stong, witty script, introduces a companion that forces the Doctor (and Tom Baker) to up his game and kick starts a great story. I think it's let down though by a poor villain.
Report Spam   Logged
Blazin Goliath
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: 12
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams

"Where I stand is where I fall.”

View Profile
Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 07:20:29 am »

4/5 for me. While I enjoyed the play between Romana and the Doctor, and while it's true that this story starts off a great story arc with the key to time, the lack of suspense and a decent villain really kept it from being a great story.
Report Spam   Logged

"Wonderful chap, all of them"
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 06:53:56 pm »

This story, written by Classic-Who-Jedi, Bob Holmes, does a really difficult job. It ushers in a new script editor (the peerless Douglas Adams), introduces a new companion AND kicks off the first season long arc since The Dalek Master Plan nearly killed Dennis Spooner & Terry Nation in 1965! Viewed in that context it is a triumph that it achieves anything at all as a stand-alone story. Yet it is a ripping good tale. Hugely watchable, with a plot that moves along nice and quickly.

The supporting cast is like a mini rep company, with Iain Cuthbertson, Prentice Hanc0ck and Paul Seed all ripping large chunks out of the script and Cyril Luckenham almost stealing the show as the White Guardian.

Considering all of the exposition and introductory material this story had to get through I gave it a thoroughly well deserved 4/5
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 08:38:58 pm »

I assume we're not having a new story this week.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 07:07:57 pm »

No sorry. My friend passed away on Sunday so I didn't have time to get on and update everything. It will all be done this weekend though.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 07:11:44 pm »

I'm giving this story a four. This series gets some mixed reactions but I really like it. I think Romana is a great companion and gets a good introduction here. The story moves along nicely and we get some good characters out of it. It's not perfect and it's not the best of the season but it's not a bad start.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 07:31:50 pm »

No sorry. My friend passed away on Sunday so I didn't have time to get on and update everything. It will all be done this weekend though.

I'm sorry to hear that.  And of course this would have been a low priority.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 09:37:01 pm »

It's a decent story and it does the job of introducing the new companion but there's nothing overly exciting about it. I've gone with a middle of the road 3!
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 05:14:22 pm »

I've gone with a 4, but it was more of a high three. I think both leads have put in better performances and there were times when the story dragged along. I think there wasn't a great deal of balance between the plot and the character stuff. But with that said it's still a very watchable story and not the worst of the KTT series
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 05:14:41 pm »

I've gone with a 4, but it was more of a high three. I think both leads have put in better performances and there were times when the story dragged along. I think there wasn't a great deal of balance between the plot and the character stuff. But with that said it's still a very watchable story and not the worst of the KTT series
Report Spam   Logged

lastofthejagaroth
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Companion: Ace

The centuries that divide me shall be undone!

View Profile
Apple User Level 4 Signature
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 07:06:31 pm »

4/5 from me. The candle-lit caverns were cool, Holmes' talent for dialogue is very evident here and it is at times very funny. On the flipside, Mary Tamm is weak and the story is silly. (Selling a planet? Really?)

While not the classic of the season, which is probably The Androids of Tara, it is still a solid story.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: "You're Mr Thick Thick Thickety Thickface from Thicktown, Thickania. And so's your dad."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: