The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 08:28:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Fourth Doctor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fourth Doctor  (Read 170 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: July 08, 2012, 07:07:14 pm »

The Fourth Doctor was the fourth incarnation of the Time Lord known as the Doctor. He left all ties of his former exile behind on Earth, setting off to travel the cosmos. Initially travelling with Sarah Jane and Harry, Harry chose to remain on Earth when the opportunity arose. The Doctor and Sarah continued on their adventures until the Doctor was summoned to Gallifrey, necessitating that he leave Sarah Jane behind.

After leaving Gallifrey, he met and travelled with Leela of the Sevateem. During his travels with Leela, the Doctor gained a new companion in the robot dog, K9. Returning once more to Gallifrey to stop an invasion, Leela and the original K9 she stayed behind there. On the White Guardian's orders, the Doctor began looking for the Key to Time with fellow Time Lord Romana, and K9 Mark II. Once that search was concluded, the Doctor and a newly-regenerated Romana went on the run from the Black Guardian. They accidentally passed into the smaller Universe of E-Space.

During his travels in E-Space, the Doctor gained a new companion in the young mathematical genius Adric. Romana and K9 stayed behind in E-Space as the Doctor and Adric departed for N-Space.

Once again encountering his old enemy the Master, the Doctor and Adric met a Traken girl named Nyssa. She would later join them, along with the human Tegan, to help him prevent the destruction of the Universe by Entropy. While stopping the Master from using this threat to blackmail the Universe into servitude, the Doctor fell from the Pharos Project telescope and regenerated for the fourth time.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

The Cyber Mistress
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 11:53:22 pm »

I think this is when they started to make the Doctor more comedic and less serious. Not just the Doctor, but Doctor Who. Tom Baker always played it a bit tongue in cheek but from here on in I think it stopped being as scary and I think the Doctor was more of a clown. Sometimes it worked for me, sometimes it didn't.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 08:07:29 pm »

I think this is when they started to make the Doctor more comedic and less serious. Not just the Doctor, but Doctor Who. Tom Baker always played it a bit tongue in cheek but from here on in I think it stopped being as scary and I think the Doctor was more of a clown. Sometimes it worked for me, sometimes it didn't.

I'd tend to agree with this.  I think it worked for most of this series, and sporadically in the next, but it's not a trend I particularly like.  Then again, I usually prefer humour that arises out of the context of a dramatic story, as has tended to happen with the Doctor at his best, than humour that's shoehorned in.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 09:39:39 pm »

I agree with Nyki. The humour in Doctor Who always works best when it's an awkward humour pulled out of something scary or tragic. Around this time they began trying too hard with the humour and it became less funny and more jarring.
Report Spam   Logged

Blazin Goliath
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: 12
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams

"Where I stand is where I fall.”

View Profile
Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 01:03:38 am »

I'm gonna have to agree with what's been said, but I feel that the humor might have worked, had they not sacrificed the Doctor's intelligence for it.
Report Spam   Logged

"Wonderful chap, all of them"
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 07:58:19 pm »

He didn't seem overly comedic to me in this. No more than normal. I've seen very little of his stuff beyond this story so it might be something that becomes more evident the more I watch.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 09:33:01 pm »

I think they started writing the Doctor more to fit Tom Baker. His personality, his demands, etc, and not having Tom Baker act to what was written. I think that's where the more comedy elements came from. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. I think mainly it depended on the story.
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 07:34:04 pm »

I think TB had a way of injecting humour into stories whether it was in the script or not. Sometimes I think it really helped the script and lifted it somewhat but there were other times when it feels a bit misplaced. I think for the most part the humour that is in this story works but as others have said that isn't always the case.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 05:43:27 pm »

I think they started writing the Doctor more to fit Tom Baker. His personality, his demands, etc, and not having Tom Baker act to what was written. I think that's where the more comedy elements came from. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. I think mainly it depended on the story.

I think this is exactly right. It never really bothered me too much but I think by the end Tom Baker was just playing himself.
Report Spam   Logged

arthurllewis
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Fourth
Favourite Companion: Rose Tyler

Sounds a bit too much like 'unsinkable.'

View Profile
Level 3 Multiple Badge Holder Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 02:46:17 am »

Actually, that's what I liked most about the Tom Baker version.  It seemed like the Doctor and Tom Baker were interchangeable.  Most stories were good (sometimes great) because of his personality and humor; some seemed stretched and forced for the same reason.
Report Spam   Logged

"If you're supposed to be the superior race of the universe, why don't you try climbing after us?"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: