The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 11:10:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review The Angels Take Manhattan

Poll
Question: Rate this story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 13 (86.7%)
4/5 - Near perfect - 2 (13.3%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 0 (0%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 0 (0%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review The Angels Take Manhattan  (Read 371 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: August 18, 2012, 03:52:56 pm »

What are your thoughts on this story? Rate and review it in here.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 10:45:33 pm »

Here is the official synopsis for this episode.

The Doctor has been dropping in on the Ponds for some years now, and he's barely even noticed his little Amelia Pond is now wearing reading glasses. Surely nothing to has to change now? Surely this can go on for ever? Has the wandering Time Lord at last found a family and the nearest thing to a home he could imagine? But out there in New York the Weeping Angels are waiting for them all, and a very different destiny is falling into place. Not even River Song can save them from the terrible events to come.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 08:32:54 pm »

Please bear in mind I'm writing this in the aftermath of the story. There will be plot holes and issues that should have been resolved and haven't been, I am quite sure. But irrespective of these, I firmly believe that was one of the best Doctor Who stories I have ever seen. Brilliantly paced (don't blink or you'll miss it) beautifully written, and spookily scary. Murray Gold's score was perfect and the story made amazing use of the atmosphere of New York.  The Angels are clearly Moffat's best monsters and because he has used them sparsely, they have an immediate impact.

A re-watch may dampen this initial enthusiasm but, at the moment, if I could use one word to describe the episode it would be ... stunning. The perfect end to the story of the Ponds.
Report Spam   Logged

DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 05:33:55 am »

... if I could use one word to describe the episode it would be ... stunning. The perfect end to the story of the Ponds. 

Well put!  I was trying to come up with words to describe how I felt about this episode and all I could think of was "Yowzah!"  LOL  Definitely a 5!
Report Spam   Logged
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 10:24:11 am »

Full marks from me. I laughed and I cried, I was excited and even a bit scared. You can't really ask for more than that really. I wasn't entirely sure how I felt about the Ponds departure but the more I think on it the more I love it. There wasn't really time to draw it out and I like that. It was sad and it was sort of beautiful. And having River back was the icing on the cake.

I just wish they'd given us a title in the 'next time' trailer.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 12:04:07 pm »

Well once again my Sky boxes let me down, but I did manage to get iPlayer working this morning and I am very happy with the episode. I thought the ending was beautifully done and the Angels were used brilliantly. Some of the CGI was a bit ropey but that is never enough to mark it down. 5/5
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 12:05:59 pm »

Spent what felt like an age waiting for this to appear on iPlayer so me and my friend could watch it! Finally it appeared and I loved every single second of it. Definitely a worthy story for the Ponds to go out on, and a story that I think will be rewatched by me over and over. Definitely 5/5.

Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 05:42:25 pm »

Almost certainly a five, but I'm going to rewatch first.  I was out till very late yesterday and finally watched it at nearly 2am when I should really have gone to bed instead, so I'm not sure how much I missed.  First reaction, though, was that it was brilliant.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 09:23:49 pm »

OK, I've rewatched and definitely 6 out of 5  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 09:37:15 pm »

Not quite a 5 from me, but more evidence if it were needed that Moffatt is by far the best writer on Dr. Who. I found the angels less scary as the episode went on -- that sound effect they used grated on me after a while and I'm not sure about the whole "sending people back in time" thing. What was kind of cool about the angels before was that you never really saw them do anything but they were cleverly directed. I found this episode a little less consistent in that respect. But still a great episode and a boldly ambiguous good/bad ending.
Report Spam   Logged
Blazin Goliath
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: 12
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams

"Where I stand is where I fall.”

View Profile
Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 09:38:53 pm »

A five for sure. I felt excitement, fear, sadness, anger, all in the span of one episode... to put it shortly, absolutely brilliant!
Report Spam   Logged

"Wonderful chap, all of them"
Coconut-CocaCola
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: second
Favourite Companion: donna noble

Hello sweetie <3

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 3 10 Posts
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 01:25:29 am »

This episode definetly made me forget about my deception of last week's Power of Three. Brilliantly written, filmed, and I love the spooky touch they did on the opening theme. I think Moffat just wrote the best companion's departure ever. And I absolutely loved the wirst scene with the Doctor and River's relation still growing. So, it's worth a 5 stars.
Although, the endind leaved me a bit confused. Why exactly the Doctor can't go back where Amy and Rory were sent? And I wonder what he did with the angel who took them back... I shall rewatch it with pleasure. Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 08:17:22 pm »

Not really too sure what to make of this really. It wasn't scary for me, and I thought that Rory came to the decision to jump ridiculously quickly. Plus I thought his acting was pretty dire there (sorry guys!)

I thought the River wrist bit was cute, but I wasn't particularly keen on the Doctors ability to heal her like that Undecided Makes him seem a bit too 'God'ly.

I love the spooky touch they did on the opening theme

I must be blind because I didn't even notice that.
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Coconut-CocaCola
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: second
Favourite Companion: donna noble

Hello sweetie <3

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 3 10 Posts
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 01:43:47 am »

Well, actually they only changed the colours of it.
I've just noticed they changed them for every episode this season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBQpGm49Y5A&feature=autoplay&list=PL291C902CE17B1DA3&playnext=1
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 03:48:52 pm »

I've given this full marks. I've watched it a couple of times now to be certain about how I feel about it and I love it. I liked that the ending was sort of bittersweet. I think Moff wanted to kill off the companions and sort of half bottled it, but by doing so it made the Ponds story complete and I liked that Amy went to be with Rory in the end.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 04:24:45 pm »

I'm not sure about the whole "sending people back in time" thing. What was kind of cool about the angels before was that you never really saw them do anything but they were cleverly directed. I found this episode a little less consistent in that respect.

Did you see Blink? That was their whole MO. When they first came into the series that was all we knew they could do.
Report Spam   Logged

ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 12:47:41 pm »

I remember Martha and the Doctor being back in time but didn't really know how they had got there. And to be honest, I'm not sure I want that much explained. There was a little too much explanation in this episode. With the Angels especially I kind of think it is better not to know too much.
Report Spam   Logged
Blazin Goliath
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: 12
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams

"Where I stand is where I fall.”

View Profile
Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 05:39:36 pm »

I agee that knowing too much could potentially ruin the Angels, but I don't think they explained too much here. Still kept the mystery there Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Wonderful chap, all of them"
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 05:49:24 pm »

I like it. It's taken me a few watched to make that decision, but I do. I think it's a shame that Rory basically got no ending but I also think the way he just went, without the drama, was really cool. The stuff with the Statue of liberty was naff but the rest of it was grand. I've given it full marks. On initial watch it probably would have gotten a three.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
BeeSC
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: 10th
Favourite Companion: Rose/Donna

I'm Not Mean. I'm Just Not Very Nice ™

View Profile
Search Level 4 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 04:16:28 pm »

So I gave it a 4/5 because I'm still not a big fan of River and Amy, I enjoyed the episode however; I think it was well written, and the departure was sad, I will admit I cried. I think this is the first time that I've liked a decision that Amy took.

I've always had a soft spot for Rory, I think that apart from Donna and Mickey he was the one that developed the most.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: