The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 02:17:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review Dinosaurs On A Spaceship

Poll
Question: Rate this story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 5 (31.3%)
4/5 - Near perfect - 6 (37.5%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 4 (25%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 1 (6.3%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review Dinosaurs On A Spaceship  (Read 277 times)
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 05:27:30 am »

I didn't care for it.  It reminded me of "Curse of the Black Spot" in that everyone seemed off in their character.  The Doctor was too wild at the beginning, all that shrieking and gesturing reminded me too much of Ten.  He materializes around them and doesn't even look to see who he got or if they even wanted to go, really?  Kissing and then slapping Rory, ugh! So nutty and out of character for Eleven.  Amy was too conveniently smart in operating the computer, the teleport just seemed to take them wherever they wanted to go, and why in the world did he bring along Queen whats-her-name anyway?  Wouldn't leaving her with Riddell change history?  I guess the humor also went over my head, because I didn't find it at all funny.  I gave it a 2.
Report Spam   Logged
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 10:14:05 am »

why in the world did he bring along Queen whats-her-name anyway?  Wouldn't leaving her with Riddell change history?

Queen Nefertiti did actually vanish from the historical record so the writers could pretty much do what they wanted there, much like they did with Agatha Christie's disappearance in 'The Unicorn & the Wasp.'
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 02:25:17 pm »

why in the world did he bring along Queen whats-her-name anyway?  Wouldn't leaving her with Riddell change history?

Queen Nefertiti did actually vanish from the historical record so the writers could pretty much do what they wanted there, much like they did with Agatha Christie's disappearance in 'The Unicorn & the Wasp.'

Although, since she claimed to be married to Amenhotep rather than Akenaton, it must have been fairly early on.  Anyway, we don't know that she didn't eventually go back.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2012, 03:08:51 pm »

I decided to give this full marks. I watched it last night and really enjoyed it but something was niggling at me that I couldn't put my finger on. Then I watched again this morning and it just seemed better. There are a few things about it that didn't sit well with me, but not enough to take a point off.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2012, 03:32:03 pm »

Although, since she claimed to be married to Amenhotep rather than Akenaton, it must have been fairly early on.  Anyway, we don't know that she didn't eventually go back.

I did spot that. I suppose that can be taken one of 2 ways: at face value & she was from early in their reign, or a factual error on Chibnall's part. I suspect we'll never know which.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2012, 03:35:00 pm »

Gave it a 3. It had too much of a jokey, aimed-at-children sort of feel. I think that was what they were aiming for so I guess I shouldn't be too critical. Kind of liked it that India seemed to be in charge. No point in including the Silurians, though.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2012, 05:44:25 pm »

No point in including the Silurians, though.

I can see two points for that - one, reminding us of them before Vashtra's reappearance, and two, if you have a space ark of dinosaurs in the Whoniverse, who else but Silurians would be responsible?
Report Spam   Logged

ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2012, 09:20:20 am »

I guess another reason for including Silurians might be their habit of putting themselves into suspended animation, and so by killing them Solomon's character is set up. I take it back!

The robots were amusing at first but quickly palled. I realised today what they remind me of -- the bickering heads of the three-headed knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

BTW, I am halfway through the old Pertwee story Invasion of the Dinosaurs. Effects in Dr. Who have come a long way!
Report Spam   Logged
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2012, 11:42:27 am »

Finally got round to watching this. I have to admit I couldn't concentrate on it. (It may just me being tired) but even if I wasn't I don't think it would be one I would want to watch over and over. There were a few too many stupid jokes for my liking, and I couldn't watch it without thinking "Harry Potter" to myself every time I saw the 2 characters! So a 3 from me.
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2012, 06:16:19 pm »

BTW, I am halfway through the old Pertwee story Invasion of the Dinosaurs. Effects in Dr. Who have come a long way!

Though that one was particularly bad even for then.  Great story, but awful dinos.
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 06:20:42 pm »

Near perfect, 4/5. The story had a good pace, great characters and some witty dialogue but I think that some of the jokes became a bit too silly and childish. The robots also got really annoying after about 5 minutes.
Report Spam   Logged

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2012, 12:38:00 pm »

I thought it was alright. The effects were good and it was amusing at times. It felt more one for the kids, which is alright, and certainly better than the awful CotBS and NT of last year, but I do prefer the more adult eps.

If I was ranking it right now it'd be a 3/5, but I'll wait till rewatch.
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2012, 02:08:13 am »

Just a three from me for this story. On the postive side I thought that the characters were great, the graphics were amazing, the sets looked brilliant and the acting was really good too, however I think these things were let down by some very poor dialogue, dodgy pacing and a plot that was a bit too contrived and silly. The robots were ridiculously bad and took the story from good to stupid. It's not awful by any means, but it's severely hindered by some bad scripting.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: