The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 02:13:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review Asylum of the Daleks

Poll
Question: Rate this story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 11 (55%)
4/5 - Near Perfect - 8 (40%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 1 (5%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 0 (0%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review Asylum of the Daleks  (Read 323 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: August 18, 2012, 04:06:39 pm »

What are your thoughts on this story? Rate and review it in here.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 10:39:20 pm »

Here is the official synopsis for this episode.

Kidnapped by his oldest foe, the Doctor is forced on an impossible mission - to a place even the Daleks are too terrified to enter... the Asylum. A planetary prison confining the most terrifying and insane of their kind, the Doctor and the Ponds must find an escape route. But with Amy and Rory’s relationship in meltdown, and an army of mad Daleks closing in, it is up to the Doctor to save their lives, as well as the Pond’s marriage.
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 08:32:32 pm »

4 from me. Although I really really enjoyed it it left me confused in some places and I can say I'm not as excited as I have been after some episodes.... Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 08:41:57 pm »

I loved that from beginning to end. It had scope and scale and drama. It was wonderful and it benefited from an amazing piece of stunt casting that even JNT would have been proud of Smiley Just so many wonderful Daleks and a very clever use of the Doctor's enemies. Hugely enjoyable fun and a sparkling season opener
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 09:33:46 pm »

I saw it ... eventually but I'm not going to vote til I've seen it on a TV. Little screen on the computer just doesn't cut it!
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 09:55:48 pm »

4.5/5 for me (went for 4 in the poll).  **** Dalek story, easily my favourite of the new series so far, they were wonderfully creepy Cheesy  And I love the twist that none of them remember the Doctor now, I wonder if that will tie into the fall of the 11th on the Fields of Trezalore?

ETA: Who knew the word c r a c k i n g was four starable Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 11:15:49 pm »

I agree - i think the fact that Moff is slowly winding back the Doctor as "The Oncoming Storm" and this Godlike figure that "has to whisper his name and armies retreat" can only be a good thing. I rewatched the episode and am very firmly in the 5/5 camp. This was a very very good story and I think it is going to look even better in the context of a series of blockbuster episodes.
Report Spam   Logged

Miss Wright
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/One

View Profile
Level 4 Second year Anniversary Apple User
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 01:47:40 am »

I liked this episode alot. I am not a large fan of the Daleks, but this suited them, especially with the Oswin twist.
The first Doctor has always been one of my favorites, because of his mystery and the unknown aspect, so I am glad they are bringing that back(as hard as that is to do with a character that has been on tv for 50 years!) with the Daleks memory wipe.

4/5 from me!
Report Spam   Logged
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 06:51:43 am »

Loved it - 5 from me!

All the way through the episode I kept thinking "Gee, that looks like the new companion!", and was gob-smacked when the credits confirmed it.  That was one well-kept secret, and I'm a glutton for spoilers!
Report Spam   Logged
ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 10:28:06 am »

Aaargh! So close to being absolutely brilliant. In all conscience couldn't quite give it a 5. Marked it down as a 4 because the pace was a little too frenetic and the teleportation device a little too convenient, a little too deus ex machina-ish. Managed to pull off some great twists (although my wife guessed the main one). The Moff managed it again, though I wonder how many times he can go back to this nanobot kind of idea.
Report Spam   Logged
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 04:38:14 pm »

Ok now I've seen it properly (on a TV!) I can vote & I've gone with a 5. Absolutely loved it - creepy Daleks, fab stuff from Matt Smith & a surprise guest. What was not to love? Brilliant  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Blazin Goliath
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: 12
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams

"Where I stand is where I fall.”

View Profile
Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 03:28:42 am »

Another 5 from me Cheesy I absolutely adored this episode, it's in my top five now Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"Wonderful chap, all of them"
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 12:51:19 pm »

I hovered between 4 & 5, and went with 4 in the end.  I can't quite define what made me mark it down - just a feeling - but I did love it, and as other people have said, it's encouraging that the Doctor's disappearing from the prominence he's had recently.  A really good episode, but perhaps it could have been slightly tighter.

All the way through the episode I kept thinking "Gee, that looks like the new companion!", and was gob-smacked when the credits confirmed it.  That was one well-kept secret, and I'm a glutton for spoilers!

Same here Cool
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 02:37:04 pm »

I didn't think I was ever going to get around to watching this! I did though (and then watched it three times) and I was pretty impressed. I've become a bit wary of Dalek stories. We keep being promised brilliance and then they miss the mark. This is one of the best we've had in years though. Probably since 'Dalek' in 2005. I've only given it a 4 though. I think so much was made of the fact that we were going to have every type of Dalek and yet the other variants were really underused. I think more than anything I wanted something awesome from Special Weapons Dalek, but I didn't even see it until the third watch and then it was a blink and you'll miss it moment. Good start to the season though.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 06:48:02 pm »

I agree that some of the different Daleks were underused but it didn't bother me enough to mark it down. I thought it was great and more than worthy of full marks. The writing was great, the pacing was excellent, the stuff with the Ponds had me laughing and crying. It was all great. Really enjoyable.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 09:04:10 pm »

I have to be honest, my expectations were low. I thought it was exciting that they were bringing back old Daleks but I thought we would end up with another Victory or Evolution, but I was so wrong. Moffat finally got his hands on the Daleks and did an excellent job with them. I'm giving it full marks.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 01:05:28 am »

Blown away! Honestly I loved it. I totally loved it. Definitely the best Dalek story since the show returned. Full marks from me, without a doubt!
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 01:05:23 am »

I've overlooked some minor plot holes to give this story a 5. More than anything else I was just surprised to be given a Dalek story that didn't disappoint me because I think some of the more recent ones we have had have been poor, but I think Moff has been really clever in giving us an epic Dalek story where they don't really do much and so couldn't not be scary or exciting. The ones in the asylum barely did anything but managed to be so effective. It was also nice to have a story where they weren't threatening Earth. I was really pleased with it.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 01:22:49 am »

Having now watched it three times, I think I'd up my vote to five.  If I hadn't already voted, of course  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Nick Sean
Tin Dog

View Profile
100 Posts 50 Posts Level 3
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 04:25:44 pm »

This is the first episode I ever saw so I don't have anything to compare it to. I've given it full marks based on the fact its got me eagerly awaiting this weeks episode and piqued my interest enough to get me to sign up to a discussion forum. It's done it's job there, surely.

I thought the characters were engaging and well written. That guy and girl who travel with the Doctor must have some huge back story that I'm not up to speed with yet but that stuff about them not being able to have kids and getting divorced etc, I have no idea about any of it but I still cared. That's good writing. I know what a Dalek is, who doesn't, but I didn't fully understand the human Dalek things. I didn't know they had those as well. I always thought it was just the metal things. Other than that though and considering its been going since my parents were kids, I didn't feel lost or anything. There were a few references that I didn't really get but I understood 99% of what was going on and I enjoyed it.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: