The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 12:15:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Rose Tyler

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rose Tyler  (Read 122 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: August 19, 2012, 08:55:32 pm »

Rose Marion Tyler was the first known companion of the ninth incarnation of the Doctor, and also the first companion of the tenth incarnation. She was sealed off in a parallel world, before returning to her own, only to ultimately be returned to the parallel world by the Doctor, along with another version of himself. She shared a close romantic relationship with both the Ninth and Tenth Doctors, eventually living out the rest of her life in the parallel universe with the duplicate Tenth Doctor.

Rose was a sweet, gentle and sympathetic young woman, quick to adapt despite being thrown into strange events. She had her mother's acerbic wit and was not hesitant to use it. She fell easily into the role of the Doctor's latest companion and was brave facing various alien threats. She cared deeply about the Doctor, although she originally denied any sexual or romantic feelings towards him despite indications to the contrary. In what seemed their final meeting on the beach, she told the Doctor that she loved him; he began to reply, but only got out the words "Rose Tyler" before he was cut off.

However, besides Jack Harkness and River Song , she was the only recent companion of the Doctor's willing to kill the Doctor's enemies. Others, such as Martha Jones and Donna Noble were much more reluctant and Donna only killed once when it was the only way to save Agatha Christie. Rose was willing to call the Doctor out when he was wrong. When the Doctor brushed aside the danger that Jackie was in when faced with a Slitheen, Rose reminded him the woman he was discussing was her mother. She was horrified the Doctor would allow the Gelth to use human corpses as a vessel for their consciousness. The Doctor's failure to listen to Rose's human plea of respect for their dead led to at least two deaths when the Gelth proved to be malicious.

Rose had a jealous streak when it came to the Doctor. She and the Doctor's former companion, Sarah Jane Smith, traded barbs over who was the "best companion" but they became good friends afterwards, and happily greeted each other at their reunion on the Crucible. Rose was willing to sacrifice herself for the Doctor or the common good. When faced with the choice of dying or saving the world, Rose instructed the Doctor to do what he had to do to save everyone else. This was a common theme in Rose's story; despite the risk of plunging into the Void and an eternity of nothingness, she let go of a magnetic hold to set a lever right and seal the Cybermen and Daleks away from her world. It was only the sudden appearance of her father from the parallel world that saved her from that fate, but ultimately led to her separation from the Doctor.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

The Cyber Mistress
Earthling
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 08:30:37 pm »

I loved Rose throughout the first series. She had a great chemistry with Nine and I loved the dynamic they had. I wasn't sure how Billie Piper would do in the role. I'd only ever known her as a singer but I was pleasently surprised.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 06:02:48 pm »

I was dubious too about having a teenage pop starlet as companion, but I think she set a very high bar, especially in the first series.
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 08:26:25 pm »

I agree that Billie Piper did a good job with Rose, and 9 and Rose had some brilliant moments. Rose's character was a brilliant way of introducing a whole new audience who knew nothing of the show before, and the writing, particularly in Rose, her character asks all the questions that the audience want to know.

All in all I loved Rose and I was really sad to see her go, but looking back she did a brilliant job, and I don't see how much more she could have done.
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 02:02:24 pm »

I think Billie surprised everyone with just how good she was and was really helped by some excellent writing. This was the first time in the show we had really scratched below the surface of the companion and I think it really helped to attach the audience to her. I liked her a lot through the first season.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 11:30:53 pm »

Rose was brilliant alongside Nine. Far better than she was ever written with Ten. This story was a great introduction for her.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 11:03:35 pm »

I'll be honest I thought her casting was going to go hideously wrong but I was glad to be proved wrong. I think she did herseld proud in the role and the awards backed up what the majority of fans thought, and that was that she did a great job. I didn't love where they took the character but her acting in the first two seasons (I have no idea what happened in S4) was great.
Report Spam   Logged
Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 01:46:33 am »

I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said. Pleasantly surprised with how good she was and how well she was written but not so keen on where they took the character later.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 06:16:13 pm »

I think everyone else has summed Rose/Billie up pretty well. I wasn't sure what to expect from her but I think she did a great job and has gone on to do great things. She certainly is more remembered for acting now than for being a singer.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: