The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 19, 2024, 12:36:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Mickey Smith

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mickey Smith  (Read 186 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: August 19, 2012, 08:57:22 pm »

Mickey Smith was Rose Tyler's boyfriend and later briefly a companion of the Doctor. He helped defend Earth against both the threats of the Cybermen and the New Dalek Empire. He later married Martha Jones, another former companion of the Doctor.

At first, Mickey was a bumbling coward; His capture by the Autons, and initial trip in the TARDIS, left him greatly shaken. When he met the Doctor again, he displayed much resentment towards him. Already, though, he was braver than he had been; He tried to hold off a Slitheen to give Jackie time to escape. Despite these changes, Mickey still displayed clumsiness, like his pratfall while trying to capture Blon Fel-Fotch Passameer-Day Slitheen. Although still unwilling to travel in the TARDIS, Mickey changed his mind, inviting himself along, unwilling to just be "technical support" (or the Tin dog) any more.

Mickey reached a turning point when he met Ricky and witnessed his death at the hands of the Cybermen. Shown a version of himself that was braver, he rose to the challenge. He played a crucial part in the the Cymbermen's defeat and decided to help rid the alternate Earth of their remnants. When the Cybermen found a way to cross over to the other Earth, Mickey was the first to pursue them. When all of reality was threatened, Mickey again crossed Earths, this time with Jackie in tow. They faced Daleks and Mickey held their creator, Davros, at gunpoint. Choosing to return home, Mickey found love with Martha Jones, and the two became freelance alien hunters. Far from his original cowardly ways, Mickey now actively pursued dangerous aliens.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

The Cyber Mistress
Earthling
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 08:29:07 pm »

I disliked Mickey from the off and that never changed for the entire time he was on the show. I never understood his popularity or why they bothered keeping him around. By doing so they kept making Rose look like a bit of a jerk
Report Spam   Logged
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 04:05:50 pm »

I disliked Mickey from the off and that never changed for the entire time he was on the show. I never understood his popularity or why they bothered keeping him around. By doing so they kept making Rose look like a bit of a jerk

I agree. I never warmed to him at all. I found him really annoying most of the time.
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 05:57:39 pm »

I thought Mickey was OK later, although I wouldn't say he's one of my favourite companions, but he was rather pathetic in this.  He just seemed there to underline that Rose didn't have a lot to stay for.
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 08:28:28 pm »

I quite liked Mickey. I don't think he was a bad character, and I can see why he was there. At points in Rose he irritated the hell out of me, but I've grown to like him (especially in the books he features in). Yes he can be annoying, but he is there doing what any boyfriend would and trying to protect Rose.
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 02:00:17 pm »

I'm not keen on Mickey. I get his role here, as Nyki says, to highlight the fact Rose has little to hang about for, but his appearances afterwards are mostly pointless and as The Cyber Mistress says, just makes Rose look bad for not caring about him as much as he wants her to.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 11:32:24 pm »

'Mickey the Idiot' sums it up completely I think
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 11:01:46 pm »

Mickey is useless. I never liked him and I don't think he brought anything to the show. The only time he was remotely interesting was as Ricky in the parallel universe.
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 06:22:38 pm »

Mickey is useless. I never liked him and I don't think he brought anything to the show. The only time he was remotely interesting was as Ricky in the parallel universe.

I'd agree with this! It's harsh but Mickey had no use to him at all
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 02:09:00 am »

I never liked Mickey but I understand his role in the show. I think it was made worse by the fact I really don't rate Noel Clarke as an actor.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: