The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 19, 2024, 08:40:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Ninth Doctor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ninth Doctor  (Read 236 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: August 19, 2012, 08:58:18 pm »

The Ninth Doctor was the ninth incarnation of the Time Lord known as the Doctor. Due to the events of the Time War, this incarnation was afflicted with melancholy when not distracted by adventures. Rose Tyler was likely his most constant companion. Unlike most of his other lives, the adventures he shared with his companions mostly happened on or around Earth. Absolutely definitive statements about the Ninth Doctor were complicated, however, by a lack of knowledge about his precise involvement in the Last Great Time War, and the circumstances in which he regenerated from his predecessor.

During the Slitheen's attempt to destroy the Earth for profit, he gained temporary allies in Rose's mother Jackie, Rose's ex-boyfriend Mickey, and Harriet Jones. He also had a single adventure with Adam Mitchell, an employee of Henry Van Statten, at Rose's request. However, the Doctor left him behind when he tried to take advantage of future knowledge. During a trip to World War II, the Doctor gained a new companion in Captain Jack Harkness, a conman from the 51st century, whom he left behind after the Battle of the Game Station.

After absorbing the time vortex energy from Rose to save her from its deadly after-effects, the Doctor suffered damage at a cellular level, forcing him to regenerate into his next incarnation.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

The Cyber Mistress
Earthling
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 08:28:07 pm »

I think the Ninth Doctor is awesome and is instantly likeable in this story. With most Doctors it takes me a while to adjust to them but I think Chris Eccleston did a brilliant job.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 06:07:33 pm »

A number of people (not least RTD) can take credit for the reboot being such a spectacular success, but I think a lot of it is down to Christopher Ecclestone.  He struck the balance perfectly of being instantly recognisable as the Doctor, but also very much his own Doctor.  Everyone else who played the part (even Hartnell in a way) was able to feel their way into the part as the Doctor himself found out who he was, but Ecclestone just hit the ground running.
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 08:23:09 pm »

I think Eccleston did a great job of introducing a new audience to the world of Who. Like many of the other doctors like (Nyki said) grow in to their rolls, whereas Eccleston seemed to have established "his Doctor" right from the start!

Nine is a brilliant Doctor in my opinion. He's got so many different sides to him, and I would love to see him back in the show for something. He's the only Doctor my brother has liked. And it's such a shame that he left as I think Rose and 9th Doctor could have had some more brilliant stories together!
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 02:04:35 pm »

CE was a brilliant Doctor and it's a shame we never got (and probably never will get) more of him on screen, but with such a short, great run I think it helps keep him remembered more fondly.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 11:30:10 pm »

Nine was instantly brilliant. I think at times he was a bit too angry which wouldn't have been so bad if they had gone into the time war stuff more but other than that he was great.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 11:04:37 pm »

CE was a brilliant Doctor and it's a shame we never got (and probably never will get) more of him on screen, but with such a short, great run I think it helps keep him remembered more fondly.

I'd agree with this
Report Spam   Logged
Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 01:44:48 am »

It took me a while to warm to Nine, I have to be honest. I think it was more my skepticism than anything CE did though. When I watch back now I love him.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 06:19:37 pm »

I was never too keen on his angrier side, though I did understand why we had to see it. I think we were quite lucky though in that it wasn't non-stop. There was far more to his character than that and I think that that helped to make him seem more relateable to the audience.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 12:15:57 am »

I think CE did an amazing job as the Doctor and really helped ground the show back in the minds of the public. I far preferred him in the role to Tennant and I think had he had longer in the role he would have stood equally as popular.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: