The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 20, 2024, 01:53:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Mixed Doctor DVD Box Set - Revisitations I

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mixed Doctor DVD Box Set - Revisitations I  (Read 77 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« on: October 08, 2010, 05:23:51 pm »

There is a school of thought that suggests all multi-national corporations are evil and want profits at the expense of humanity (for conclusive proof see Dr Who and the Green Death). One of their worst crimes is the notion of 'Planned Obsolescence' or the idea that products are not only not built to last, they are actually designed to stop working after a specific period of time so you will be forced to go out and buy a new one. Media storage formats are a perfect example of this; if you want to watch a film at home you could have had Super 8 cine film, then Laser Disks, then videotapes and now DVDs. The problem is, at the moment DVDs look fairly well ensconced and there is no need to replace them any time soon.

So if, like me you have already copies of (say) The Talons of Weng Chiang, Caves of Androzani and Doctor Who - The Movie, why on Earth would you pay £28 for them again. The world of media, instead of planned technical obsolescence have gone for content upgrade. Yes you can have your old tatty Caves but why not have it re-mastered and with some added special features? Is it worth shelling out £28 for three stories that I already have not on blu ray but with a few extras? Alas, I cannot answer that for you. I can only tell you that the extras are mighty fine. Talons has an amazing meeting between Philip Hinchcliffe and Tom Baker where they discuss working together. Caves and The Movie provide wonderful 'Making of..' features and there are so many little gems on each story. You really do get some value added with this box set. I also think that both of the BBC stories are good enough to justify a little spring cleaning and the extras for the Movie help place it within its context.

So, who should buy this box set? I think it is not for everyone. If you already have them and you think they are ok but nothing special then, seriously, buy a bottle of Moet instead. As I have said elsewhere, I think this is an ideal entry level set for those who haven't experienced any Classic DW before - the two stories are just brilliant (though I don't think Talons is quite the masterpiece that it is sometimes made out to be). I am unashamed to say that Caves is my favourite Classic Who story and the extras for both of these are brilliant and give great depth to the stories. The Movie is something of a curio but if you've never seen it then you should really give it a go - if only to find out what the fuss is about and what state the show was in before RTD got hold of it.

There is an element of content based obsolescence about this release - instead of re-restoring these, one is tempted to ask why didn't 2Entertain try and spruce up something like Terror of the Autons (which we haven't got at all) but that, I suppose, is a different question. However, in conclusion and expressing a purely personal opinion, I have no problem having bought this set. I feel they do add something to the stories and the stories themselves are amazing.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 05:29:54 pm »

I bought this recently (as I said elsewhere) and currently have them anyways so I havent rushed to watch yet, but I have to confess it was purchased mainly for the features on it which I heard were awesome.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 05:40:44 pm »

I bought this recently (as I said elsewhere) and currently have them anyways so I havent rushed to watch yet, but I have to confess it was purchased mainly for the features on it which I heard were awesome.

I think you've just said in one sentence what it took me a whole post to say - essentially, this is £28 for a lot of extras. That works for me as i lurve extras (i promise never to use the word lurve in a post again).
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 08:43:36 pm »

Is this the one with the Paul McGann audition on it?
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 08:56:21 pm »

Chris, your posts are always brilliant Smiley I didnt even know this set was in existence, but I feel that if I dont purchase it this very weekend then something terrible might happen to the world Tongue

You can never have too many copies of Caves Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 09:05:21 pm »

Chris, your posts are always brilliant Smiley I didnt even know this set was in existence, but I feel that if I dont purchase it this very weekend then something terrible might happen to the world Tongue

You can never have too many copies of Caves Cheesy

Peri you are extremely tolerant of my ramblings Smiley CD Wow are knocking them out for £22 + p&p and Asda have them for £25. I used up vouchers to buy mine so I didn't feel too bad at the expense. I think they could have shaved a fiver off the price and then I'd say "Screw it, its worth it for the extras" but some places are charging £35 and i think that is too much.

Strangely enough it was the Doctor Who movie that I got most out of. As I said in another post, I've watched it hundreds of times and I'm still not sure how i feel about it. The extras and the making of really shed some light on it though! Caves is awesome though and that 'Making of' is just amazing Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 09:12:30 pm »

Well if I wasnt convinced before, then I certainly am now. I love bonus features Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 02:18:04 pm »

Bonus features, for me at least, can make even the most boring of serials come alive and seem brilliant. 2Entertain have gone all out with some of the features on their releases. The insights into the classic series are amazing, and my personal favourite on every DVD is the subtitle fact things. Though I always have to watch twice as I cant read and pay attention at the same time. Love all the useless bits of info they come up with on there.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: