The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 01:01:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review Rose

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 5 (38.5%)
4/5 - Really Good - 5 (38.5%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 3 (23.1%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 0 (0%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review Rose  (Read 165 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: August 19, 2012, 08:46:30 pm »

This week sees us go back to the very beginning. Sort of. A beginning of a new era for the show with the Ninth Doctor story, Rose.

When Rose Tyler meets a mysterious stranger called the Doctor, her life will never be the same again. Soon, she realizes that her mum, her boyfriend and the whole of planet Earth are in danger. The only hope of salvation lies inside a strange blue box.

Rose was the first episode of the first series of the revived series of Doctor Who. It was the first new episode of Doctor Who since the 1996 telemovie. It marked the debut of Christopher Eccleston as the Ninth Doctor, Billie Piper as Rose Tyler, and recurring supporting cast Camille Coduri as Jackie Tyler and Noel Clarke as Mickey Smith.

The first Doctor Who story to be produced in widescreen, it was also the first single-episode, forty-five minute story. Amongst BBC Wales-produced episodes, it was not only the first broadcast, but also the first recorded. It was the Doctor Who debut for almost everyone who worked on it — except for model unit supervisor Mike Tucker, who worked as a visual effects assistant on the classic series from 1985 to 1989.

Narratively, it marked the return of the Nestene Consciousness and Autons for the first time since Terror of the Autons in 1971. It also saw the first reference to the Shadow Proclamation.

The next story will be posted on Sunday August 26th.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 07:18:41 am »

Rose had several important things to do that make it bigger than the sum of its parts. First, it needed to show everyone that this show was not a pastiche and that those of us who had watched the classic show would find things we recognised. It also had to introduce the show to those born in the barren years and explain immediately who the Doctor was, why there was so much fuss and why they should keep watching. It had to establish the credentials of the entire creative team. It is one thing being an accomplished actor (Ecclestone) or writer (RTD) - but the history of Doctor Who is littered with creative types who just couldn't quite cut it on the show. Most important of all, it had to get another generation wanting to watch the show next week.

It did all of these things - with ease. The story itself was a good (if slightly bog-standard) riff on the alien invasion but the stars and guest stars established that not only had Doctor Who returned, it was ready to conquer the world in 2005 the way it had done in 1963.

I gave it 5/5, largely because of the way it accomplished all of these things AND managed to tell a good tale!
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 07:37:03 pm »

5/5 for me. It introduced me properly into the world of Doctor Who and it's a great story for introducing anyone. Has a good storyline too setting up the rest of the series.
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
The Cyber Mistress
Earthling
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 08:23:37 pm »

I've gone with a four. I agree that it sets the new series up really well and does what it needs to do, but as Auton stories go this is probably one of my least favourites, and I love the Autons. I also think the stuff with the wheelie bin was ridiculous and the guy, Clive is it? that Rose goes to see is really annoying. Other than that I quite like it.
Report Spam   Logged
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 04:04:34 pm »

I give it 4/5. It was a great episode to set everything up and bring people in, but it isn't one of the best and thus not worthy of a 5 from me.
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 05:50:54 pm »

I've given it a 5 for much the same reasons as VA.  The story in itself probably isn't worth more than a 4, but as the reboot episode, it does all its jobs excellently.
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 01:53:26 pm »

I'm going with 4, 'really good'. It's a good story and yes it does the job of bringing the show back, but it doesn't make it 'amazing' so I think a 4 is more justified.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 11:23:32 pm »

3/5 from me. I think it does the job really well of bringing the show back but there were a few too many silly bits and the actual story was a bit weak.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 10:55:35 pm »

3 from me. Good reintroduction for the show but all in all not a great story
Report Spam   Logged
Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 01:41:58 am »

I love the Autons so that made this story a winner for me from the off. It wasn't their best outing but it was still good. I liked the way that RTD managed to bring the show back and not bog it down with backstory and whatnot. It just was. It hit the ground running and set up a great season. 4/5
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 06:09:05 pm »

Full marks from me for this one. I think it's a great little story that brings the show and all of it's history back into the modern world without ever bogging it down in over detail of alienating the new audience. RTD did what he has always done best, and focused on the characters rather than the plot, which in this instance was really needed I think.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 06:09:57 pm »

Also, TIQ will be on hiatus while the show is back on the air, just in case people are wondering why it hasn't been updated Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 02:04:45 am »

4/5. Not the strongest story we've had, but a strong one all the same and a great way of bringing the show back.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 12:14:24 am »

I've gone with a three. While I think the story was ok, too many silly ideas were introduced. Auton Mickey with his hammer hand was awful. The burping bin was embarrassing too.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: