The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 04:27:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Who is spoiler free?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is spoiler free?  (Read 3253 times)
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2012, 03:32:11 pm »

I was spoiler free for S5, but not for S6. I don't think it made that much difference to me. If anything, knowing the little bits and pieces upped my anticipation and built up the excitement. I don't think I could go back now.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2012, 07:23:30 pm »

Do you actually feel 'spoiled' when you find things out though, or does it have no effect on your viewing pleasure either way?

It really annoys me. I hate it. Even finding out episode names, which is unavoidable on here Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2012, 07:42:09 pm »

Really? Even episode names bug you? That's proper dedication. The more I can find out the better!
Report Spam   Logged
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2012, 01:08:15 am »

Really? Even episode names bug you? That's proper dedication. The more I can find out the better!

Most of the time, no. But some are quite spoilery. Like The Wedding of River Song.
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Saber
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2012, 11:05:16 pm »

I think sometimes, like that example, the titles are a bit too spoilery. But I think Moff likes to do that to get people chatting. When RTD was running the show he used to withold some titles so that they wouldn't give the game away but Moff seems to relish in it.
Report Spam   Logged
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2012, 11:13:30 pm »

It's ok when it's a red herring, but ... it wasn't Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2012, 11:17:00 pm »

No. But on the plus side it wasn't a huge plot point.

Why is it you've decided to stay spoiler free, anyway? Do you do it for all shows? Did you do it for Lost? That's the only show I think I ever stayed completely spoiler free for.
Report Spam   Logged
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2012, 11:55:21 am »

No. But on the plus side it wasn't a huge plot point.

Why is it you've decided to stay spoiler free, anyway? Do you do it for all shows? Did you do it for Lost? That's the only show I think I ever stayed completely spoiler free for.

Yup, I do try and stay spoiler free for all shows. Especially Lost. I hated being spoiled for that. I just think it ruins the surprise and lowers enjoyment of the episode if you know something is coming. Like on Lost, big deaths were always spoiled. I would've hated that.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2012, 11:58:58 am »

When Lost was airing I was waiting for the DVDs before watching with the exception of S6, so dodging spoilers was like a minefield because there were often months between airing and the DVD release. I had a friend who would purposely send me text messages saying 'OMG can you believe X just died' or 'OMG X is back' and stuff like that. Used to drive me absolutely nuts
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2012, 03:13:08 pm »

I think if it was a show like Lost I would make more effort to be spoiler free. After waiting 5 years for an answer to something, if someone told me before I watched I think I'd go off the rail
Report Spam   Logged

TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2012, 08:15:34 pm »

It might only be my perception, but one of the reasons I think that spoilers have become such a thing under Moffat because of his insistence on "the big reveal". Sure, RTD had the odd fun reveal, but with Moff it has been a regular feature ("Don't tell anyone but "X" will happen). The leaking of a spoiler shouldn't destroy the whole impact of the story - and I wonder if the issue of spoilers hasn't highlighted the weakness of over-relience on this particular aspect of Moffs story-telling technique?

Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2012, 04:41:48 pm »

That's the thing with Moff. He moans about spoilers but then makes all these obscure references and gives hints and clues, fully knowing that fans will go wild over it and try digging out the info. It's like the stuff about the reveal of River. He moaned about stuff leaking from the scene where she calls Amy 'Mother', but filmed it outside on an open set with fans a few feet away. It's nonsensical.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2012, 01:14:10 pm »

The thing that annoys me is the insistence that spoilers are so horrid, yet we get press screenings/Edinburgh festival screenings for the media darlings. Yet when it comes to us fans getting the odd titbit, we get told this is bad. A good spoiler can generate interest, conversation and anticipation (and get us spinning off in completely the wrong direction). I don't think anyone (and certainly no one on this forum) would advocate the verbatim summary of every episode. But I don't mind the odd bit of gold dust.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2012, 01:55:31 pm »

Yea but Moff only wants us to discuss the show on his terms. Hasn't that been obvious? He only likes spoilers if they benefit him and the show. Anything else and he sees it as the fans trying to ruin things. Like he said last year, he'd rather people who spoiler hunt to just not watch the show at all, but when he wants to leak a bit of info to get interest up he is fine with it. He'd have enough to moan about if we all just stopped discussing it alltogether, I'm sure.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2012, 09:15:21 pm »

I kinda think you're right. I really like the way Moff has positioned the show in the media. No one could accuse him of not selling the show and I know that playing the media game is essential. It just seems like there is a temptation to bash us more committed fans. I know being slightly obsessed inevitably makes us an 'easy target' but one almost thinks that Moffat is a little ashamed of us fans?
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2012, 10:07:26 am »

I kinda think you're right. I really like the way Moff has positioned the show in the media. No one could accuse him of not selling the show and I know that playing the media game is essential. It just seems like there is a temptation to bash us more committed fans. I know being slightly obsessed inevitably makes us an 'easy target' but one almost thinks that Moffat is a little ashamed of us fans?

His problem though, as others have said, is that he wants to play it all on his terms. He will do the big press screenings or leak little details about stuff when it suits him, but when something gets out there that he didn't plan on he gets sort of nasty about it. His comments back last year about fandom weren't cool. To think he has some sort of say over who should or shouldn't watch the show just because they like spoilers is ridiculous. Most people and places, like this site, have an area for spoilers where they aren't shoved in your face and the people who see them are the people who look for them. There are occurances like with those spoiler cards that got leaked last year which are understandably annoying, but its a small, tiny minority and he shouldn't have been so quick to jump on fandom. The same fandom that keeps his show on the air.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2012, 10:10:56 am »

Well with filming starting on Monday people don't have long to decide whether they want to stay spoiler free or not because I imagine we will be getting a fair bit of info through. At least I hope so.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2012, 10:12:01 am »

I don't think many people on this forum do stay spoiler free. I know Joshua does, but off the top of my head he is the only regular poster I can think of who does.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2012, 06:48:28 pm »

Howdy Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2012, 10:02:29 pm »

I'm fine with following the little spoilers we get along the way, but I'd definitely try to avoid any huge leaks.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: