The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 20, 2024, 04:07:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Timescales

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Timescales  (Read 112 times)
Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« on: September 26, 2012, 02:22:16 am »

I might be wrong (which is where you guys come in) but is this the longest set story ever? It took place over 18 months which is really long for a story to play out. Last of the Time Lords was set over a year but even would that even count since it was rewound?

Also, while talking about Timescales, when is this set? I know this has been discussed in other threads for other episodes but I am having trouble keeping up. They were having a tenth wedding anniversary so that would make it 2020, right? But why so long? Surely that has to mean something otherwise why not set it in 2012? Or 2013? Why has so much time passed?

And another also. Does this 'technically' make Amy the longest serving companion? I suppose Ace could be debateable but if I am remembering rightly she came in in 1987 was it? If she left moments before Seven appeared on screen in the movie that would make it 9 years-ish. Then again, if we take into consideration that there are gaps in Amy's tenure then we should probably include Sarah Jane who had a gap of 30 years. But would you class her as a companion in School Reunion? Hmmm. I love a bit of debate. What do you think?
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 11:58:51 am »

Amy clearly states that it has been 10 years for her & Rory but not for the Earth (which I'm assuming is significantly less) or the Doctor (which we know is a lot more). Fits with my theory last week about them going off for extended periods but not actually being missing from their 'real lives' for that long (though they obviously do have a gap sometimes as people mention them being absent - probably when the Doctor misjudges when he's aiming for!). We saw it here where they went off for 7 weeks but returned to the same party they left.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 02:43:13 pm »

I might be wrong (which is where you guys come in) but is this the longest set story ever? It took place over 18 months which is really long for a story to play out. Last of the Time Lords was set over a year but even would that even count since it was rewound?

That depends how you judge it, of course - in one sense, both City of Death and The Runaway Bride actually cover several billion years.  In terms of subjective time, both The Eleventh Hour and The Girl Who Waited are a lot longer for Amy, though not for the Doctor.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 09:27:27 pm »

That depends how you judge it, of course - in one sense, both City of Death and The Runaway Bride actually cover several billion years.  In terms of subjective time, both The Eleventh Hour and The Girl Who Waited are a lot longer for Amy, though not for the Doctor.

I think that TEH can be discounted because that had time travel which makes the story take place over a longer period. TGWW is tricky as it's essentially two timelines, but probably the best contender. I think taking advancing timetravel out of the equation then this is definitely one of, if not the longest story. Usually a story will take place over a couple of days or maybe even one day for the team, but they were literally at this one, in Earth time, for ages.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 09:27:49 pm »

Also, Scott, your new avi is awesome!!
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey