The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 03:23:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Half Human Doctor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half Human Doctor  (Read 107 times)
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: September 27, 2012, 01:07:14 am »

This is a subject that gets me a little antsy. Ever since a stupid comment was made in the TVM about the Doctor being half human a lot of fandom has jumped on it as fact. People familiar with my posting around here know that I am a canon lover. I love it. Wrap everything up in canon and give in jokes and references and stick to what's been said and I love it. I don't mind subtle little changes, however there are two things within the history of the canon of the show that I choose to completely overlook; the regen limit and the Doctor being half human. The regen limit is silly. I don't want the show to end when the Doctor hits that limit. I want it to end when I'm dead. The half human thing is just stupid. I don't know why I dislike the idea so much but it really bugs me. I've been happy in the fact that it has never been mentioned again and seemed pretty much glossed over. A lot like that stupid looms idea.

So then we get this episode. The Doctor makes a very clear point about the Cubes attacking 'human hearts'. It's plain as day in his speech. So why is one of his hearts giving out? Are we supposed to take this on board as fact that he is indeed half human? Would 99% of the viewing public have any idea at all about past comments? Is this even a reference at all? Personally I am choosing to believe that much like a lot of the episode, this was a pointless bit of silly plot hole that Chibnall threw in without really considering the rest of the plot. I have a feeling that if something was to be made of it then someone would have pointed out that he had a human heart and we would be left to ponder it, if indeed they didn't address it outright. I can think of absolutely no good reasons why he should be anything other than Gallifreyan/Timelord.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 08:03:44 pm »

I agree that the half-human thing is stupid, but in fact there are plenty of non-stupid points that have been quietly ignored and changed (like the Dalek progenitors changing from Dals to Kaleds, though my theory about that is that they were alternative names) so I don't see why this one shouldn't.  I think this point was careless, rather than making any point.  Perhaps the theory was that a Time Lord's hearts are each sufficiently like a human's to be affected (but perhaps the effect was specifically targeted to the left) but in that case any mammal would be affected too.

I think it's just a Doh! moment.
Report Spam   Logged

Coconut-CocaCola
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: second
Favourite Companion: donna noble

Hello sweetie <3

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 3 10 Posts
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 03:31:25 am »

I was also scared about this time-limit of regenerations since the Doc was approaching the end of it. I'm so glad River gave him her life in "Let's kill hitler". *Sorry River, they wouldn't have been much of a use for you anyway.
As for the Doctor being partly human... I hope he is not, because it makes a cheap excuse for him liking the earth so much. Tongue And c'mon, we like him as a full alien, not as a half-one!
Report Spam   Logged

Blazin Goliath
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: 12
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams

"Where I stand is where I fall.”

View Profile
Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 03:29:38 am »

Definatly a fan of canon, and not of the half-human thing. As far as I'm concerned, Eight just didn't feel like explaining the actual phyiscs of what was happenning, and so just said something to keep Grace quiet. Gotta love head canon Cheesy

And as far as the human heart in TPOT, I'm sure it was just not thought through all the way. As Ex said, they surely would have mentioned something about it if it was thrown in there on purpose.
Report Spam   Logged

"Wonderful chap, all of them"
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 11:31:04 am »

I think this was just another stupid plot hole that wasn't properly thought out. You could argue that they went for anything resembling a human heart but there are huge similarities between pig hearts and human hearts and yet only humans were affected. As Nyki said, they could have just targeted the left, but again only humans were affected and not everything else with a heart on the left. I don't think they were trying to make us think that the Doctor is half human, I just think it was bad writing.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: