The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 20, 2024, 05:34:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Third Doctor DVD - Day Of The Daleks

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Third Doctor DVD - Day Of The Daleks  (Read 397 times)
FutureDirector
Hatchling

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2010, 07:13:10 pm »

Me either when I started watching them. They are VERY slow paced and drag on for ages. Sometimes you have to force yourself to sit down and watch it. But when you do you are sucked into the story and the charm of the 60's-90's. As a film student, I loved collecting most of the dvd's that are out, since it's a history of TV of over 30 years.
Report Spam   Logged

Silence will fall...
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 11:26:13 pm »

In many cases I think the Classic stories are indicative of a lost age (and would love to continue this discussion with FutureDirector as I believe some stories provide important cultural signposts- i am sure there is a good Masters thesis in there somewhere). They are a lot slower in pace which in some cases means you are ploughing through literally hours of filler to get to the punchline (c.f. The Armageddon Factor) but not always. The Day of the Daleks, for example, bounces along quite nicely and has a good strong narrative running through it.

I will say, this story is probably not one to cut your classic DW teeth on. Pyramids of Mars, Robots of Death or Caves of Androzani are probably better jumping off points, but this story is very reasonable and is a showcase of Jon Pertwee's Doctor. I enjoyed it and I'm really looking forward to the DVD Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 12:16:53 pm »

Bonus features have been announced for this special edition. I do not know if it is a complete list, but they include:

•Blasting Past Documentary
•Blue Peter
•Cheating Memory; Documentary
•Nationwide - Win a Dalek
•UNIT: Dating Conundrum
•View from the Gallery
•Teaser
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 02:35:23 pm »

The sooner this gets released the better!! Can't wait Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 04:14:30 pm »

A good story, though not among my absolute favourites.  The original Dalek voices were untypically poor on this (the performance more than the effects) so I've no problem with them redoing them.  I also take issue with the scene where the Doctor opens fire on the Ogrons, at a stage when he doesn't really know the rights and wrongs between the sides - it seems way too out of character for him.

On the other hand, there's a lot to love here, from the future set-up to some great UNIT interaction.  And it was probably the first time they seriously tackled timey-wimey stuff in the series.
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 05:55:18 pm »

2Entertain have announced the masses of extras that will be available when this is released.

Disc 1
• 4 x 25 mins approx colour episodes with mono audio (Original Version).
• Commentary with actors Anna Barry and Jim Winston, producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks and vision mixer Mike Catherwood.
• Blasting the Past – cast and crew look back on the making of this story. With actors Katy Manning, Jimmy Winston and, Anna Barry, producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks, monster maker John Friedlander, Dalek operator Ricky Newby, Dalek voice artiste Nicholas Briggs, classic series writer Ben Aaronovitch, new series writer Paul Cornell and Doctor Who Magazine writer Dave Owen.
• A View from the Gallery – producer Barry Letts and vision mixer Mike Catherwood talk about the art of vision mixing on a multi-camera studio show like Doctor Who.
• Nationwide – a report from a primary school on the day they took delivery of a Dalek, first prize in a Radio Times competition.
• Blue Peter – presenter Peter Purves remembers his time as a companion to William Hartnell’s Doctor and is joined in the studio by a trio of Daleks.
• Photo Gallery - production, design and publicity photos from the story.

Disc 2
• 4 x 25 mins approx colour episodes with mono audio (Special Edition).
• The Making of Day of the Daleks: Special Edition – producer Steve Broster guides us through the creation of his Special Edition of this story. With voice artiste Nicholas Briggs, audio engineer Mark Ayres, cameraman John Kelly, Dalek builder Toby Chamberlain, UNIT soldier Kevan Looseley and Ogron Nick Nicholson.
• Now and Then – the latest instalment of our long-running series revisits the locations used in Day of the Daleks to see how much or little they have changed over the years. Narrated by Toby Hadoke.
• The UNIT Family: Part Two – the second instalment of our series looking at the Doctor’s years on Earth as scientific advisor to the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce and the strong family bonds created during that time. With Katy Manning, Barry Letts, Terrance Dicks, actors Nicholas Courtney, John Levene, Richard Franklin and Fernanda Marlowe, stuntman Derek Ware.
• The UNIT Dating Conundrum – over the years, many fans have tried to rationalise the chronological setting of the UNIT stories from clues within the narrative, despite the obstacles seemingly put in their way by the production team. Narrator Toby Hadoke explains why dating the stories is so difficult, assisted by Terrance Dicks, Dave Owen, Nicholas Briggs and Ben Aaronovitch.
• The Cheating Memory – Special Edition producer Steve Broster tries to discover why the reality of Day of the Daleks doesn’t quite live up to the memory he has of first seeing it, aged six. With psychologist Dr. Sarita Robinson, Nicholas Briggs and Ben Aaronovitch.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2011, 05:41:49 pm »

A new, and might I add quite brilliant looking trailer has been released

Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 10:56:15 am »

We have a (huge) cover Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 01:33:57 pm »

Ah well, there goes another few quid to 2Entertain. This looks an amazing release - I really enjoyed this (Non-Terry Nation penned) Dalek episode and think the special features will be a real treat Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 10:22:17 am »

Here is a clip from one of the extras.

Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2011, 03:34:33 pm »

This is released today
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2011, 09:08:22 pm »

I've treated myself to this as an early birthday present - Blimey i'm excited to watch it Smiley I saw the "Coming Soon" trailer on the Sunmakers DVD and it looks all kinds of wonderful Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: