The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 16, 2024, 05:04:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Attempted ****?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attempted ****?  (Read 217 times)
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« on: October 13, 2012, 05:23:59 pm »

It has never occured to me on any watch of the story, but I've just been reading about the scene where Vasor and Barbara were in the cavern it is apparently meant to imply that he is attempting to **** her.

I'm not sure if this is a conclusion that fans have come to or if it was the actual intention of the script, but it seems a bit heavy for a kids show in 1963. I'm not even sure they would get away with it now. What do you think?
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 06:55:37 pm »

Either that, or he might have been planning to sell her as a slave, if they have that in his culture.  But yes, I think that was the intent.

I think kids at the time would have just seen it as her being in peril, without having a very clear idea what it was.  I was just ten when it was on, and I don't remember it meaning anything much more than when they were trying to kill her in episode 2. At that sort of age, we only had a very hazy idea about what sex was back then.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 02:14:09 pm »

I'd never seen it that way personally, but I can sort of understand why people might. It seems like a big implication to include in the show, even if the kids might not get it, so I'm not sure that that was the intent.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 01:13:30 pm »

I had always assumed that that was what we were supposed to assume from the scene. Obviously it was filmed in a way that you could assume he was just being a bit dastardly, but I thought that the implication was there, for sure.
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 10:37:56 pm »

I'd never really thought of it that way myself. I can understand why some might come to that conclusion but because of the nature of the show it never occured to me that that might be what they were trying to convey
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

lastofthejagaroth
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Ace

The centuries that divide me shall be undone!

View Profile
Apple User Level 4 Signature
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 06:52:17 pm »

I always took at the way, as did The Television Companion (well worth a read). If so, it is certainly very shocking. In fact, there's only one other time when I can remember **** being implied, that being in The Time Meddler, where a girl called Edith was presumably sexually assaulted (Although, later she invites them for a cup of tea, like nothing happened). There's also that scene in The Unquiet Dead, where Mr. Sneed had, as Rose put it, "a quick wander". Does that count?
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: "You're Mr Thick Thick Thickety Thickface from Thicktown, Thickania. And so's your dad."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: