The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 18, 2024, 01:38:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review The Snowmen

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 13 (56.5%)
4/5 - Really Good - 9 (39.1%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 1 (4.3%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 0 (0%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review The Snowmen  (Read 509 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: December 22, 2012, 10:44:53 am »

The Snowmen is the 2012 Christmas special, introducing the new companion Clara. How would you rate it? As always, vote above and post below.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 09:33:10 pm »

Absolutely loved it! Cannot wait to sit down and watch it again!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 09:53:47 am »

I've gone with a 5 - may have jumped into the top spot for Christmas eps for me. Can't wait to watch it again.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 11:38:44 pm »

Surely the best Christmas special we've had in a long while? Unquestionably the best one of the Moffat era! We had an amazing breadth of emotion, a simple but effective plot, a companion who dazzled us and charmed us. We got the Vastra-Trio in full swing and a genuine situation of peril. We had a new TARDIS and a wonderful new title sequence. My little fanboy heart squeed a little at the revelation at the end (regarding the foe) and then lots at the "Coming Soon" trailer.

This was Moffat at his beguiling best - a solid 5/5 for me!
Report Spam   Logged

Blazin Goliath
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: 12
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams

"Where I stand is where I fall.”

View Profile
Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 01:01:29 pm »

Definitely a 5 from me.This might just be my new favorite Christmas special.
Report Spam   Logged

"Wonderful chap, all of them"
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 11:34:29 am »

Definitely the best Christmas special that we have had in years. Probably since Voyage. It was nice to see something original from Moff after the last two riffs of old stories. I liked the way Jenna was introduced but I think it's a shame that we still don't really have the companion in place. It would have been nice to have the Victorian Clara on board. The only criticisms I have, and they are minor, are that when she kissed the Doctor I let out a huuuuuuge groan. Why Moff insists on having everyone kiss him is beyond me. And also, I think having a companion who is regularly killed is treading recent, old ground. Other than that though I loved it and have given it full marks.
Report Spam   Logged

Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 06:13:24 pm »

I scored this episode 4/5. For the most part I really enjoyed it, but my criticisms are, like above, that I don't like all the kissing and I thought that Simeon was really underused. They could have made so much more of his character.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 07:15:26 pm »

I'm going to wait for the rewatch to rate it, but my immediate reaction was a few reservations because I felt they were trying to cram too much in, but basically I loved it.  I'll be deciding between 4 and 5.
Report Spam   Logged

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 10:48:21 pm »

For the first time this series I haven't waited to rewatch before voting.

I voted 5!

I absolutely loved it  Cheesy Clara was superb and already overtook Amy within the first 20 minutes of the episode. The story was great and I loved Straxx and Jenny/Vastra.

I too wish we could have kept Victorian Clara. I liked her old, posh voice as Governess (with her cockney coming out every so often).
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Nick Sean
Tin Dog

View Profile
100 Posts 50 Posts Level 3
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 10:49:00 pm »

I thought it was brilliant. A few bits sort of confused me but I think that is mostly down to my poor knowledge of the show and having seen so little of it. The story was really good though and I've given it a 5.
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 01:47:19 pm »

I thought it was absolutely brilliant and I haven't heard anyone complain about it yet. Probably the best Christmas special we have had so far. Full marks from me.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 09:49:06 pm »

Well, on rewatch it didn't seem too crammed any more, so I've given it five.  Even better second time around.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 12:42:31 pm »

I was really impressed with this episode. I've never really been much of a fan of the Christmas specials. They never seem, to me, to get it right. They either go too christmassy or don't quite reach it, leaving the episode feeling a bit like a standard episode aired on Christmas day. This one had the perfect balance for me. The setting was great and looked excellent, the writing was top notch, too. I liked having the JSV trio back on screen too. They really helped with the humour, but on the more serious side of things I really liked the one word game Vastra and Clara were playing. That ramped up the tension, I thought. The reintroduction of The Great Intelligence was a nice move and I have my fingers crossed that it will pave the way for the return of the Yeti. Even if only for a cameo. The downsides I had, which were miniscule and seem to be in line with others, was that the kissing was jammed in and made no sense. I hate that. I'm still old fashioned in that I don't want to see the Doctor kissing. Not even River tbh. I also think more could have been done with the talents of Richard E. Grant and Ian Mckellan. Other than that though I loved it and so I have given it a 5.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 05:37:31 pm »

I also think more could have been done with the talents of Richard E. Grant and Ian Mckellan.

Shocked I wouldn't have even known it was Ian McKellan had you not said!
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 06:17:17 pm »

Full marks from me. A really great episode that was fun and scary and witty and serious and pretty much everything you want from a story. The pace was on point, the dialogue was sharp, the characters were great. A big win all around.
Report Spam   Logged

The Cyber Mistress
Earthling

View Profile
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 01:41:27 pm »

Well this one seems to have gone down well with the fans, doesn't it? I joined the masses and gave it full marks. I thought it was brilliant.
Report Spam   Logged
Miss Wright
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/One

View Profile
Level 4 Second year Anniversary Apple User
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 01:44:46 am »

This was a great episode in my opinion, and I gave a 4/5. Strax was hilarious all around, the new Tardis is beautiful(though I prefer it before), Victorian Clara is great, rediscovering that bowties are cool was sweet, and sad Doctor was excellent.

It wasn't very deep, but it was very funny, so it made up for it.
Report Spam   Logged
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 04:21:54 am »

I would give it a 4.5 if I could; still waffling between the two.  I didn't care for the ole "human emotions save the day again" ending - people cry and the snow dies.  Really Moffat?  I love you man but that ending was lame!  I agree with others about the kissing, and the Doctor seemed quite taken with her as well.  Um, are we going to forget all about River and the fact that he's a married man?

Overall though, I loved it.  It was so much better than last year's Christmas show, but "A Christmas Carol" is still my favorite.

Report Spam   Logged
ardalyon
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary 100 Posts
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 03:47:06 pm »

4/5. Very good, even if the ending was a bit corny (I guess we have to expect that at Christmas). I agree also that Richard E. Grant was underused, but I'm wondering if that might be some kind of teaser. I didn't get the link back to the Yeti stories until I read about it here. Now I understand the significance of the London Underground map! I am not sure whether The Great Intelligence will be a successful baddie simply because the old stories don't really exist anymore and are difficult to follow in their reconstructions (it wasn't until I read the synopsis after watching it that I even realized that there were little Yeti figurines). Also, the Yetis were basically robots and thus seem less advanced in some way to intelligent snow. I can't wait for the second half of the series, now that I know what to look for.
Report Spam   Logged
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 06:41:50 pm »

Since Moffat has taken over the show we have been given an unbelievable amount of soppy, sappy, 'emotion saves the day' endings, and I was with this story right up until we were told that only 'the tears of a whole family on Christmas Eve' could save the day. Come on! If you are writing a story but you cannot write the ending, scrap it and start again. That was an absolutely awful ending in an otherwise good episode. I was close to giving it a three, but I went up to a four based on the fact that the majority of the episode was actually very good, despite the fact that the whole thing hinged on an awful ending.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: