The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 12:11:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Cinema Visits

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cinema Visits  (Read 458 times)
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: December 30, 2012, 05:40:35 pm »

I was sure there was a thread for this already.

Anyway, I went to watch The Hobbit this week. I was dragged along. Never liked the lotr films and had no desire to watch this but I agreed anyway. I was quite surprised tbh. On one hand I sort of enjoyed it. It wasn't the worst two and a half hours of my life. However, it dragged on waaaay too long and pretty much nothing happened. There is going to be over 9 hours of film spread across 3 movies just to cover one book, and from what my mate told me after we left, half of the stuff in the film wasn't even in the book (it's his favourite book which is why I agreed to go). He said probably about half of it was from the book. The rest is made up or comes from other sources. It sort of makes me a bit bitter to be honest. I'm all for going and watching a good film, but this strikes me as Peter Jackson just trying to make money out of people. Why pay 10 bucks for one visit when he can get three out of you and triple his income. It looked good and it was well written but the story went nowhere fast. It's very obviously been padded in order to fill three films.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 07:34:54 pm »

I saw it and thought pretty much the same as you. It was good, but it dragged on a lot without doing much. I will watch the others no doubt, but I don't think they needed to turn it into three films.

I really want to see Life Of Pi. I was going to go this evening but it was put on hold until next week.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 10:41:51 am »

I'm seeing Pitch Perfect tonight. I've heard good things so I hope it's as funny as everyone is saying.
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 12:27:38 pm »

Going to see Les Mis next week Cheesy Very excited Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 10:52:03 pm »

I saw Life of Pi this evening. The cinema were on only showing it in 3D (convenient) so it came to nearly £21 for two tickets. I nearly didn't bother. The 3D didn't enhance it a whole lot but some aspects of it did look pretty cool, I must admit. Visually the film was brilliant but some of it was quite upsetting which I wasn't expecting. Quite brutal. The ending was a bit disappointing too. Not a bad film though by any means.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Saber
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 12:33:19 pm »

I saw Life of Pi this evening. The cinema were on only showing it in 3D (convenient) so it came to nearly £21 for two tickets. I nearly didn't bother. The 3D didn't enhance it a whole lot but some aspects of it did look pretty cool, I must admit. Visually the film was brilliant but some of it was quite upsetting which I wasn't expecting. Quite brutal. The ending was a bit disappointing too. Not a bad film though by any means.

I didn't like it. It looked amazing but I thought the end was a huge copout and the stuff on the dingy with the animals was horrible. Real, I suppose, but horrible.
Report Spam   Logged
Nick Sean
Tin Dog

View Profile
100 Posts 50 Posts Level 3
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 02:05:54 pm »

I saw it and thought pretty much the same as you. It was good, but it dragged on a lot without doing much. I will watch the others no doubt, but I don't think they needed to turn it into three films.

I found it quite boring. They've CGI'd everything to the point where nothing looks real and the story is so dragged out it's not even a proper film. Such a shame because the book is brilliant and so are the first three films.
Report Spam   Logged
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Formally River Song

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 01:12:28 am »

I saw Pitch Perfect tonight. Absolutely hysterical. I can't wait to watch it again. It was one of those rare times when everyone in the cinema was laughing. If you haven't seen it you should.
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 09:19:19 am »

Saw Les Mis on Friday! Absolutely brilliant! Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Formally River Song

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 04:49:04 pm »

I'm seeing that this week. It's not my choice this week and that is the reason why Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 05:39:15 pm »

I saw Les Miserables yesterday and I loved it!

Be warned that it is very long and most of the dialogue is sung too - that was some of my friends' biggest complaints (of those who haven't seen the show and didn't know it's entirely sung).

But as a huge fan of the show I wasn't disappointed. Anne Hathaway was superb.

The only bad thing was Russell Crowe, who had such a weak voice for such a strong character.
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Formally River Song

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 01:37:13 am »

I finally saw it this evening. We got postponed last week because of the snow. It was ok. I think some of the singing wasn't as good as it should have been which makes me think some of them were cast on name alone rather than talent. It's also far too long and they should have made more of the sewer escape because that is such a huge part of the novel. Anne Hathaway was brilliant though, as was the one playing Eponine. I still prefer the stage version I've seen but this was pretty good. My arse was killing by the end of it though. Most uncomfortable cinema seats EVER!!!
Report Spam   Logged

CollieMonster
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Sarah Jane Smith

Jelly baby?

View Profile WWW
50 Posts Search 10 Posts
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 05:12:40 am »

I'm dying to see Les Mis. I haven't had time yet. Aside from that, I never go see a movie. I never really watch movies anyway, but if I do I wait for it to be on Netflix or at least DVD. But Les Mis...I HAVE to go see that one! It's my favorite musical by far. I've seen it twice live, and it's in town again this summer so I'll see it probably 2 or 3 more times then. And, well, my boxer is named Gavroche  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

"Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness and love." ~Sarah Jane Smith

AKC/UKC Pt'd Moxie's Adamantium Man URO1 RA CA HIC TT CGC, Service Dog (Smooth Collie)
Gavroche de la Rue URO1 RA CGC (Boxer)
The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe (Crested Gecko)
Lis (Mouse)

The Eclectic Collie
Saber
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 02:14:34 pm »

I saw Les Mis last week. It was pretty good. I understand the fuss around Anne Hathaway, definitely, though I think some of the other performances left a lot to be desired.
Report Spam   Logged
Sparky
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Nine
Favourite Companion: Rose

View Profile
100 Posts 50 Posts Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 10:31:13 am »

I saw Wreck It Ralph last night and it was absolutely brilliant. So funny and so retro. Seeing games and characters that I played 20 years ago was awesome and I have such an urge to go play Street Fighter it's unreal. It didn't feel Disney though. I'm surprised they didn't release it as a Pixar film because it really had a feel of it.
Report Spam   Logged
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 03:44:08 pm »

I saw Monsters University last week! It was brilliant! If you loved the original MU is a must! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 03:30:22 pm »

^ I second this! I really enjoyed Monsters University despite it not being as good as the original (but that'd be so hard to beat!)
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Sparky
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Nine
Favourite Companion: Rose

View Profile
100 Posts 50 Posts Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 01:22:52 pm »

I went to a midnight screening of The Conjuring last night. I don't scare easily, but some scenes in that scared the bejesus out of me!
Report Spam   Logged
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 10:33:23 pm »

I went to a midnight screening of The Conjuring last night. I don't scare easily, but some scenes in that scared the bejesus out of me!

I really want to see this! I've heard it's excellent.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 11:59:12 am »

I saw this the other day and I was terrified the whole time. I was terrified before it even started when I saw the trailer for Insidious 2. Eesh! I will be watching that too, though Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: