The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 03:58:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Top 50 NuWho Stories

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top 50 NuWho Stories  (Read 1153 times)
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2013, 03:37:05 pm »

The Idiot's Lantern

The Tenth Doctor
27th May 2006

I know that this episode really wouldn't be in many people's top 50 list, but I really enjoy this episode. I remember watching it over and over when it first came out, and to this day it is an episode that I will constantly turn to if I want a Who episode to watch.

The CGI is brilliant and I think it is actually a pretty decent story (if not a bit random). I love the historical side to the story and generally love this episode.

What did you think?
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2013, 12:25:02 pm »

If it made my list it would have to be a NuWho list only and even then I think it would be right towards the bottom. The story itself has some very good parts to it and I by no means think it is terrible, I just think there are many stories that are better
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2013, 02:00:27 pm »

I'm not keen on this. It has the bones of a good story but I think the actual episode didn't turn out very well.
Report Spam   Logged

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2013, 02:51:39 pm »

I like the setting, and it has some elements of a good story, but overall it isn't one of my favourite episodes or villains.

Good pick though Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Sparky
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Nine
Favourite Companion: Rose

View Profile
100 Posts 50 Posts Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2013, 01:04:29 pm »

I didn't like this one. The episode felt cheap and the script was below standard. I think that it could have been better, but Gatiss just isn't a good enough writer to deliver the good scripts to go with his good ideas.
Report Spam   Logged
Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2013, 10:53:21 am »

Not keen on this story, but I don't think it is as bad as a lot of others.
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2013, 09:19:08 am »

I plan to update this today... But I feel I need to watch the episode again so I can write a little bit about it Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2013, 10:39:05 am »

A Christmas Carol

The Eleventh Doctor
25th December 2010

Although this episode isn't one of my absolute all time favourites I felt that it deserved a spot in the top 50. Admittedly it has been a while since I watched it, but this episode is one which, I feel, can only really be watched near Christmas time.

A Christmas Carol is a lovely episode in which I think Matt Smith does some brilliant acting in and because I’m marine obsessed I love the sharks and fish Smiley

This episode has some lovely family touches to it and although the grumpiness Kazran really annoys me it has quite a good moral behind it.

I don’t like how little a part Amy and Rory play in this episode but Matt Smith makes up for it.

All in all I love this episode despite it being an episode which (I think) can only be watched at Christmas.

What did you think?
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2013, 10:42:20 am »

I like it. But I like it a whole lot less because of the ones that have come after it. I think Moff has overdone rehashing old christmas stories over the last couple of years and while this was the first, with the others that have followed it makes it seem more and more unoriginal. I don't think I have watched it in about 2 years and I do enjoy it when I watch, but I think it's sort of fallen down through association.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Simone
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Matt Smith/Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Clara/Ace

View Profile
100 Posts Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2013, 10:44:58 am »

I really like this story. I agree though that it is better when watched at Christmas. It's a bit too festive for summer viewing. It's nice to break out each year though and it means it doesn't get overwatched.
Report Spam   Logged
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2013, 02:42:41 am »

I enjoy this one probably a little more on rewatch compared to when I first saw it, so a good pick!

Great casting.
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2013, 11:06:41 am »

I quite enjoyed it when it was first on, but (and this happens with all the Christmas episodes for me), I just don't like it as much on rewatch. It's not a bad story by any means, it's just not one that I reach for when I need a fix.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2013, 09:42:38 am »

It's not one I watch often, but it is one I always enjoy so I think it's a good addition to the list.
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2013, 05:49:28 pm »

The Shakespeare Code

The Tenth Doctor
7th April 2007

This is my number 5 in my list of underrated stories but it also features at number 39 in my top NuWho stories. I love this episode and is perhaps one of the only ones of S3 which I would watch by choice. Series 3 was pretty terrible (in my opinion) but maybe that is because I find Martha really irritating. Her "relationship" with the Doctor was just unnecessary, making the "inn bedroom scene" really cringeworthy for me.

Despite the who relationship with the Doctor rubbish I think this is quite a nice intro story for Martha, and the use of Shakespeare in a Dr Who episode is just brilliant in my opinion. I am a lover of historical Who stories as it encourages younger children to look into the characters (in this case Shakespeare) and time periods of which the stories are set.

The Harry Potter references were brilliant, as if I remember correctly, this was released a couple of months before Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows book was released, also (in my opinion) encouraging kids to ask their parents about Harry Potter (if they didn't know about it already) and also encouraging them to read!! Smiley

Anyway enough about what I thought of the story, what did you all think?
Report Spam   Logged

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2013, 06:33:35 pm »

Haha, I'll give it the brownie points for the HP references. Go JK
Report Spam   Logged

Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2013, 11:47:29 am »

It's a good story but it is one that I think doesn't work as well after a long period. I enjoyed it a lot at the time. I thought the sets and the story were great, but it doesn't excite me as much now. That being said, I think it's a fair position and if I was doing the same top 50 I might have stuck it in the lower reaches too. Probably a bit lower than yourself.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2013, 09:09:27 am »

Good episode, but for me one of the weaker stories of the third season. It's actually a really strong season I think. It's Series 2 that I think is very weak.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2013, 08:14:26 pm »

Blink

The Tenth Doctor
9th June 2007

I wrote this list a while ago and I must say I'm not quite sure why I've put this story so high up in my list, but then I know lots of you will probably say that it should be much higher up.

Now, I really really really love the Weeping Angels - there is no question about it. They are my favourite Who monster, but I continue to be very underwhelmed by this episode.

Like I said for The Shakespeare Code I am really not a fan of S3, but this is one of the only episodes I would watch from it again. I think the story was incredibly well thought out and is perhaps one of Moffats best stories and sticks to his timey wimey-ness.

I don't dislike this story but I don't love it. It has definitely got better on rewatch since the original time I saw it, but sadly it doesn't place much higher up my list.

What did you think? Where would this be on your list?
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2013, 09:23:14 am »

I used to think Blink was the biz. If I had to turn someone on to the show, this was one I used, but there are two factors which has now made this one that I can't be bothered with anymore. The first is all the fans who are like 'ermagerd itz Blink' and treating it like the second coming of Who. Yes it's good and clever, but look a bit wider and you'll see that there are many better stories out there and that timeywimeyness didn't start with the story. In fact it goes all the way back to Season 2 with The Space Museum (check it out, it's great).

The second issue I have is that Moff wrote a great story, realised the fans were lapping it up and then wrote the same elements in to pretty much every story he wrote for the next 3 years. He overdid it, tried too hard to make every as story complex and confusing as this one and as a result a lot of his stories fell flat and reflected badly on this one for me. It probably would have made my list, but it would have been down around this area too.
Report Spam   Logged

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2013, 01:42:35 pm »

Just off the top of my head I would probably put Blink in the Top 10.

I just love it. Great characters, great story, great villains. This was the only episode of Who which genuinely scared me when I watched it the first few times. And I remember rewatching it a lot the week it aired. Just awesome. The best thing about S3 for sure.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: