The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 11:03:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Aneurin's Top Ten Companion Departures

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aneurin's Top Ten Companion Departures  (Read 680 times)
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: January 05, 2013, 04:26:41 pm »

It didn't take me long to decide on which topic to cover and I already have my choices sorted. Quick, eh?

This list is my own. Please don't shout if your favourite isn't on there. Make your own instead.

I will update it probably every few days. I don't have the patience to wait a month before posts. I will probably have done several of these by the time the anniversary comes around.

Post about my choices. Tell us how they made you feel or if they were companions you were glad to see the back of.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Formally River Song

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 04:44:25 pm »

TEN

Jo's Getting Married

I nearly didn't include this one. I love Jo Grant, but not being much of a fan of The Green Death I often tend to overlook her departure. It's a shame really becuase it's actually really quite good.

Companions leaving the show, especially in the early years, didn't get all that much fanfare or send off. In some cases, including this, they fell in love over the course of a few days, agreed to marry and then were never to be seen again. Unlike these days it was hard, I suppose, to have that build up to the eventual departure and so it often felt rushed. Jo's leaving isn't without it's problems, however the reason it makes my list is based on impact alone.

When the Doctor locked Susan out of the TARDIS and flew off all those years before it changed him. He was a sadder man and it really affected him. About 8 companions had left him since then and he seemed to take it in his stride, not really letting any of them get to him in the same way. Then Jo announces she isn't returning with him after this adventure. Just like that, she is done, and Jon Pertwee plays the devestation brilliantly. Obviously gutted but trying to wish this girl, this daughter figure, well in her decision but ultimately being too hurt to stay and celebrate, he quietly slips out and drives off into the credits.

I love Jo and it's sad to see her go, but Jon Pertwee is what makes her departure even more tragic than it otherwise would have been.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 05:52:26 pm »

I love The Green Death and Jo's departure. I think I would have listed this higher, though not at the top.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 05:59:36 pm »

I love both too.  A very moving scene, especially the way the Doctor's trying to be cool about it.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 08:27:03 pm »

Awww Jo! My favourite. I watched her run a long time after she had left the show so was more than aware it was coming, but I was still gutted when it did. I'd have this very high up on my list if I was doing one. Which I might Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 02:11:27 pm »

Great story, great exit. It was all a bit sudden but then developing assistants never was a top priority back in the day and Jo got more than most. Jon Pertween played it all so well and it really made the whole thing sadder.
Report Spam   Logged

Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 11:56:16 pm »

This would most definitely make my list. I would probably put it higher up though. Jo is one of my favourite companions and though I know it's coming every time, I am still gutted whenever I see her decide to stay with Cliff
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 05:13:52 pm »

I'm not sure this would have made my list of best exits, but it would definitely have made my tearjerkers list. Gets me every time Cry
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Formally River Song

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 11:25:01 pm »

I'm not sure this would have made my list of best exits, but it would definitely have made my tearjerkers list. Gets me every time Cry

That was mostly my reason for listing it tbh. It's sad Sad
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Formally River Song

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 11:35:46 pm »

NINE

I'm with the psycho

This one makes my list based on the sheer brilliance and yet down right absurdity of it all. Mel 'I scream so much it actually affects my voice in later scenes' Bush, who was always so timid and nice, decides that she's not going to go off to help on a planet, or meet someone and get married, as we saw from Jo above. No! She's going to leave the safety of the TARDIS to run off to the stars with a sociopathic space pirate who was only moments before trying to kill off the human race AND, it turns out, sold his previous fellow travellers into slavery. Sane move, Mel.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 12:47:18 pm »

This is going to turn into an interesting list Grin

I forgot how young Ace looked in that story. Her 'ace' jump is bloody awful! Of the departure though, I think Sylv played it nicely. He was probably the only one who was going to miss her at the time. It's an interesting choice for inclusion but I don't think I would have put it on my list.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 01:34:33 pm »

At least it answers the question of why we never saw or heard from her again Shocked

Also, anyone else think Sabalom looks like the Moff? Grin

Her departure probably wouldn't have featured on my list, though it is an interesting one for sure. Jo's, on the other hand, would have place higher for me.
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 02:10:05 am »

I've never seen her final story so I had no idea this is how she left. It's sort of hysterical. What a daft reason to go off. If she wanted to leave then the Doctor could have just left her wherever she wanted to go. Or at least on the right planet Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 12:23:55 pm »

Mel's was so stupid Grin I love how the Doctor doesn't even try to talk her out of it. Jo's is great though. There's only two that I know for sure I would put on a list like this but I won't mention them just in case I influence you Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Formally River Song

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 12:41:50 am »

At least it answers the question of why we never saw or heard from her again Shocked

Yeah, maybe we were meant to read between the lines and Mel is now working in an intergalactic sweat shop Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 11:08:08 am »

I like the character, but I am not in a huge group of people who admit that. Her ending was silly thought and left a lot of things unresolved about her time with the Doctor.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 12:26:03 pm »

Mels departure always seemed so random to me. It was too out of character and made no sense in the story of that guy. Why would she leave with him?
Report Spam   Logged
The Cyber Mistress
Earthling
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 04:52:53 pm »

Jo leaving was a killer. I liked her so much and even though I knew she wasn't going to be around for ever when I finally got to her departure I hated that she was going.

Mel on the other hand didn't have much of a farewell and the one she got was bizarre to say the least. The worst part of it though is when Ace jumps up and shouts 'Ace'. It's so forced and horrible to watch. The thought of that is far worse than Mels departure.
Report Spam   Logged
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Formally River Song

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 09:54:39 am »

EIGHT

Everyone Loves a Montage

I contemplated putting this higher on my list, but in the end it sits at 8, which still isn't bad. I love Ian and Barbara. I think they had a great run and it was a shame to see them go, but I do love the way it plays out. William Hartnell, according to reports, was very, very unhappy about them leaving the show and I think it is written all over his face here. It goes beyond acting to the point where I think he is just letting his frustration out in the lines. The reason I find it funny is because in the next scene we have a montage or Ian and Barbara galavanting around London looking happier than we have ever seen them. It's an odd end, but a brilliant one all the same and it was nice to see them get a happy ending.
Report Spam   Logged

Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 11:49:07 am »

I loved Ian and Barbara and I loved the exit. The story as a whole was pretty fun, though not without faults, but the ending was great and you could see just how gutted Hartnell was. I'd probably have had it a bit higher myself
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: