The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 08:06:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Vampyros Adric: Top Ten Writers

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vampyros Adric: Top Ten Writers  (Read 899 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2013, 06:27:25 pm »

I have to declare a personal interest here. I worked with a relative of Terrance and this relative managed to arrange a nights drinking with me and the great man. Barry Letts turned up and we all sat, drinking wine and talking about Doctor Who. It was, without exception, the happiest I've ever been. So in terms of affection, Uncle Terry would be top of the list by some distance.

His stories were all very solid, with Brain of Morbius and The Five Doctors ranking amongst the classics. But he's more on the list for the shaping of the show in the early 70s. He took a show that had become, in all honesty, a bit of a liability with failing viewing figures and (with his partner in crime Barry Letts) totally reinvigorated the show. I imagine watching Spearhead from Space was akin to watching Rose in 2005.

But the real thing about D1cks was that he 'got' what Doctor Who was all about. His novels were brilliant and without a doubt I would not be here, writing about this show and so fired up about it, without his work. Indeed, this may sound like hyperbole but it is true to say that Terrance D1cks taught me to read and shaped my writing style. His novels were brilliantly readable (I would regularly go to the library at 9am on a school holiday get out a Terrance D1cks Target Novel and have read it by 4pm that day). He would take stories that didn't quite hang together on TV and, using his talent as a novelist, he would make characters come alive, make locations sparkle and tie up those loose bits of plot that didn't make sense.

His novelisation of Terror of the Autons is utterly amazing but on that night when we were drinking expensive red wine and talking about Doctor Who, I received a signed copy of the Five Doctors first print run from him. I have it framed in my study as a memory of a truly special meeting with a science fiction legend. Modesty prevented him talking about his role, but he did give me a list of the writers who he had given advice to and it was like a Who's Who of Who Smiley

I know I should have put him higher - there is no one in the Whoniverse who I respect more. But when you see the next on the list, you will see the dilemma I have been faced with in compiling this list Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2013, 07:17:29 pm »

I don't know him or his stories, but that's an awesome tale Smiley

If only I had more time I could watch the Classics, but alas.
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2013, 07:46:43 pm »

I don't know him or his stories, but that's an awesome tale Smiley

If only I had more time I could watch the Classics, but alas.
Same... I just don't have the time... Or the attention span! More time or someone to buy me loads of classic DVDs

I've seen Five Doctors and Brain of Morbius and loved both Smiley so will agree that he's a good writer Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Sparky
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Nine
Favourite Companion: Rose

View Profile
100 Posts 50 Posts Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2013, 12:17:46 pm »

That's a very cool story! I think I would have had him at around this position, but as much as I loved the classics I am far more clued up on who the current writers are and so the top spots would have probably gone to newer writers.
Report Spam   Logged
Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2013, 05:22:45 pm »

Come on then, don't keep us in suspense. Who comes next?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: