The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 01:48:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Adric in Logopolis

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adric in Logopolis  (Read 272 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: January 06, 2013, 01:50:06 pm »

Adric was a companion to the Fourth and Fifth Doctors. He grew up in another universe called E-Space and died trying to stop Captain Briggs' freighter from crashing into Earth.

Adric stowed away on the TARDIS and was discovered by the Fourth Doctor and Romana. He pretended to share the agenda of the Three Who Rule, a trio of vampires who ruled over a small community. He tried to save Romana from being sacrificed but failed; both were saved by the Doctor. Adric's relationship with the Doctor deteriorated after the Fourth Doctor regenerated and Tegan and Nyssa began travelling in the TARDIS. Adric believed the girls were a hindrance to his relationship with the Doctor. He also had a clear preference for the Fourth Doctor.

Adric was often fiercely competitive, yet frustrated by his clumsiness. He whined a lot, and struggled to find a useful role in the TARDIS crew. He finally told the Doctor he wanted to return to E-Space. After showing the Doctor his computations to engineer the return, Adric admitted he really wished to remain on the TARDIS. He was caught up in a failed plan of the Cybermen to bombard the Earth with with Briggs' freighter. He died by remaining on board the crashing, time-travelling ship. With Adric onboard, it crashed into prehistoric Earth, causing the extinction of the dinosaurs.

Adric was a mathematical genius, and let everyone know it. He was very proud of his Elite status. He wished to be accepted by his brother Varsh's gang, the Outlers, and tried to steal fruit to prove himself, but failed. When his brother died, he kept his belt, a symbol of Outler membership. He pretended to go along with the plans of the vampires in a ploy to rescue Romana, with whom he got on well. In a misguided bit of overconfidence, he died by remaining on board Captain Briggs's freighter to try and prevent it from crashing into the Earth. He died holding his brother's belt.

Adric was fiercely loyal to the Doctor and had a generally amicable relationship with the Time Lord, who resigned himself to act as his mentor. Adric could be annoying at times, but wanted desperately to be brave and accepted; he defied the Master and died trying to solve a math/computer problem. As he crashed to his death, unable to access the computer system to input his last mathematical calculation, he said, "Now I'll never know if I was right."
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 04:37:25 pm »

Adric isn't half as bad as I'd been led to believe he was. I think much like the Sixth Doctor or Mel, hating on Adric has become the thing to do and we are told so much that they are terrible that we go in there waiting for it and believing it before we see it. Well, I think that he was decent in this. His reaction to bumping into Nyssa when they were out looking for the Master was way over the top, but the rest of it was fine and no worse than what 99% of the people on the show were acting like.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 12:28:02 am »

Adric is pretty cool, but I think he shines more in the next story than he ever did in this.
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 04:19:03 pm »

I've never been a huge fan. I think he is given a harsher time than is perhaps deserved, but there is not really anything of the character to celebrate, either.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 02:06:19 am »

I've never been a huge fan. I think he is given a harsher time than is perhaps deserved, but there is not really anything of the character to celebrate, either.

Yes, I think this pretty much sums up how I feel.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:08:43 pm »

I always find him to just be a bit boring. There's just nothing going on there with him that's ever particularly engaging.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 03:00:52 pm »

Adric was never really given anything great to do until they killed him off. And I don't mean that sarcastically. Other than that he was just another person for the Doctor to speak to. It didn't help that he seemed to be on an endless loop of 'I'm going to betray the Doctor.... just blufing', and it got stale real quick.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 02:19:59 pm »

Adric is pretty cool, but I think he shines more in the next story than he ever did in this.

I agree. At the beginning of this story he had more to do because there was less cast to share the screentime with but as the plot wore on he faded into the background and was there because he had to be, not because he was needed.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 08:28:43 pm »

His reaction to bumping into Nyssa when they were out looking for the Master was way over the top

"NYSSAAAAAAAA!!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy"

Just a bit Tongue

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: