The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 18, 2024, 01:40:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

What to watch?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to watch?  (Read 513 times)
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: August 30, 2010, 11:11:56 pm »

I've mainly only seen New Who - so here's my question to the lifelong Whovians ...

Which Classic series episodes do you recommend?

Some people have given me ideas on Twitter (and they have been noted down, not ignored or forgotten) but I'm keen to get more and I thought other people might also find this useful so suggest away  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 11:21:24 pm »

Classic Who, even at lows, is still great. Id reccomend starting with An Unearthly Child and go from there. Though there are lots of single serials of each Doctor you could watch as stand alones and love
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 11:26:51 pm »

I did actually start doing that until the New Who box set arrived so I've seen from An Unearthly Child to the end of The Daleks (I think that's where I stopped!) - just sometimes I like doing things as The Doctor does them - in a random order!!!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 11:33:14 pm »

Then get yourself the Mind Robber, The Time Meddler, Spearhead From Space and Pyramids Of Mars for starters Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 11:35:10 pm »

Noted - thank you  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

BlueRose

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 11:47:59 pm »

Genesis of the Daleks, Destiny of the Daleks, Terror of the Autons, The Daemons...heck, toss on The Pirate Planet, which is my guilty pleasure. Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 12:01:57 am »

Ooh you can't beat a good guilty pleasure - I'm getting a nice list here. Thanks  Cheesy

Hope others find this useful too Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 12:05:05 pm »

A very good #7 Doc episode is Remembrance of the Daleks - a great story and really goes at a ripping pace. Tom Baker's last season is fabulous and Keeper of Traken through to Castrovalva are my personal favourite Classic Who. (I mentioned Caves of Androzani as my favourite all time episode). If you would like a guilty pleasure then really you can't go to far wrong with Resurrection of the Daleks!
Report Spam   Logged

Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 09:42:25 pm »

All the ones already mentioned, plus The Dalek Invasion Of Earth, Tomb Of The Cybermen, Inferno and City of Death. And lots more, of course, but those were the first that came to mind.

And if you want a guilty pleasure, try Delta And The Bannermen. Most people seem to detest it, but I think it's hilarious!
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Nightingale
Hatchling

View Profile
Level 1 First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 02:20:01 am »

I'm another new series fan catching up on the classics, so thanks for this thread!

I started out with the "best to worst" list from Doctor Who Magazine and then skipped around a bit.   
An Unearthly Child is a great place to start, and The Aztecs is another 1st doctor episode I liked. 

It took me a while to adjust to the pace of the older episodes and to warm up to some of the characters.
I was irritated by Victoria in Tomb of the Cybermen until I learned her origin story from the audio Evil of the Daleks. Sarah Jane started out rather clueless in The Ark in Space, but had an unforgettable exchange with the Doctor near the end of that one. 

Sometimes supporting characters sell an episode. My favorite 4th Doctor eps are The Talons of Weng-Chiang and City of Death, and I also like the Masque of Mandragora.

I agree with a previous post about Remembrance of the Daleks.  That DVD also has some great deleted scenes and interviews with cast and crew.

When in doubt, pick a new (to you) doctor and start with his debut episode.

Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 12:00:05 am »

In general I agree with that last advice, but not where the 7th Doctor's concerned - Time and the Rani is one of his weakest, in my opinion.

I'd agree with pretty much all the stories mentioned so far in the thread.  A few others - Daleks Invasion of Earth, The Invasion, The War Machines, Inferno, The Daemons, Seeds of Doom, The Sun Makers, The Androids of Tara (watch one of the film versions of The Prisoner of Zenda first for maximum effect), The Two Doctors, Ghost Light (but don't expect to understand it  Cool)
Report Spam   Logged

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 02:00:39 pm »

This is the year that I start watching some Classic Who (hopefully).  I have already built my Netflix list based on what you good people have noted here.  Does it matter if I watch in order or is it ok to bounce around?  Thoughts?
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 02:04:28 pm »

This is the year that I start watching some Classic Who (hopefully).  I have already built my Netflix list based on what you good people have noted here.  Does it matter if I watch in order or is it ok to bounce around?  Thoughts?

That's what I've vowed to do this year as well  Smiley

I'm not watching them order if that helps. Just do what feels right for you  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 02:08:24 pm »

I'm not watching them order if that helps. Just do what feels right for you  Smiley

Cool!  Perhaps we can compare notes at some point Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 02:20:45 pm »

The Great thing about not watching them in any particular order is that until the later series when they start having longer arcs, you can pretty much check them out in any order and they still make sense because of the nature of the show. There may be new faces on the Doctor and the companions may change but the general feel of the story is always the same and you always know where you are. The Doctor doesnt do things in order so why should you watch them in order Tongue

On that note, wikipedia has a list of all the Doctor who stories in chronoligical order so you could watch them in that order and start with the dawn of time and end with the end of the universe Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 02:27:56 pm »

Cool!  Perhaps we can compare notes at some point Smiley

Yeah that would be great  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 04:59:06 pm »

On that note, wikipedia has a list of all the Doctor who stories in chronoligical order so you could watch them in that order and start with the dawn of time and end with the end of the universe Smiley

Ah, but where would you fit in stories like City of Death and Time Flight? (just to be difficult) Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 05:19:10 pm »

Ah, but where would you fit in stories like City of Death and Time Flight? (just to be difficult) Cool

Time Flight operates in the parallel universe known as 'Bizarro-Land' (how that got commissioned and my story on the Russian moon programme didn't is frankly beyond me). So really, you can watch that at any point and marvel at just how bad things can sometimes get. Then you watch City of Death straight after and marvel at a show getting things so utterly right and perfect, with amazing casting, water-tight dialogue and a brilliant plot. Then just jump back in to the chronology Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Davros
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Sylvester McCoy (7th)

Tar Lubeck ka'leed Uth Ricta Dal'ek.

View Profile WWW
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 02:12:38 am »

I'm surprised it's not been mentioned- Face of Evil! Robots of Death too is a great story. And Mawdryn Undead is a great 5th Doctor story and one of the few to actually use time travel as a plot device in classic Who. Plus the Brigadier!
Report Spam   Logged

Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war. But, from its ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe. The Dalek!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: