The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 03:46:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

PRG's Top Ten of Personally Owned Merchandise

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PRG's Top Ten of Personally Owned Merchandise  (Read 1014 times)
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: January 07, 2013, 12:38:17 pm »

God that title is awful - anyone got a better way of putting it? Seriously ... please  Smiley

Anyway, when this was first floated among the mods I said I'd do this because, compared to others, I'm fairly certain I don't have a lot of merch. Then I made a list & I'm right, I don't, but it still comes in at significantly more than ten things so this isn't going to be as easy as I initially thought (in fact it is REALLY hard!)

To get around this I am going to ... yeah I'm going to cheat a bit. It's my list I can do what I want right? So, instead of picking individual items that I have I'm going to clump some things together - you'll see. I'm also going to have some honorable mentions for the things I have to leave out, but really don't want to.

Before I kick off, here's some additional info:

- I don't spend a fortune on my merch because I buy stuff from other franchises as well, so my stuff tends to be in the 'what PRG considers reasonable' price bracket.

- Not all of the stuff that appears on this list will be officially licensed merch (I will explain why) - but I still love it.

- I tend to buy things because I like the look of them or even, & I can imagine some people out there who preserve their things in pristine condition shuddering, because they are practical. Yes, I use my stuff.

Not sure how often I will post, but feel free to comment in between items ... or to completely ignore them  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 01:02:20 pm »

Books & Magazines

So here's me cheating already. I looked at my books & decided I can't just choose one to put on the list so here they all are:

As you can see when it comes to DW books I'm much more about learning information than actually reading stories (largely because I have tons of other books to read!). I tend to dip in & out of the books as I watch the show to find out more info, esp if I'm watching episodes I haven't seen before. And I owe a huge debt to my mum for most of these as she tends to buy them for me as presents - the only ones I actually chose were the two Brilliant Books.

I'm including DWM here as well (as you can see from the pic) as I get it every month now & it too is helping me more learn more about the show.

The second best thing about the books & magazines - lots of lovely pictures.

At this point I would also like to give honorable mention to my 2013 calendar as it too has lots of lovely pics, but I couldn't fit it on the list!

Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 01:22:44 pm »

The problem I find with merchandise is that it creeps up on you and before you know it you have more stuff than you know what to do with. One figure turns into ten, one book suddenly sees you with a shelf full etc. I've literally been ordered to curb it or I have to start putting it in the attic, which just seems cruel to me.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 01:47:46 pm »

The problem I find with merchandise is that it creeps up on you and before you know it you have more stuff than you know what to do with. One figure turns into ten, one book suddenly sees you with a shelf full etc. I've literally been ordered to curb it or I have to start putting it in the attic, which just seems cruel to me.

Ditto with that! When I first got in to Who i started reading the novels and stuff but soon they were coming out too quickly for me to buy (my parents refused to buy them for me cause they weren't "educational"). I've now got the problem that my magazines are filling up 4 magazine rack things plus one shelf (that's just DWM magazine- my old DWA that I got are all in the loft!)

But good pick for top 10 Smiley Got to love the books/magazines Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 02:52:31 pm »

The problem I find with merchandise is that it creeps up on you and before you know it you have more stuff than you know what to do with.

Absolutely this. And looking at that pic again has reminded me I must pre-order the second book of the DW/Star Trek crossover *disappears to do just that*
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 04:59:17 pm »

When I was on maternity leave I must have spent hundreds of pounds on merchandise. God I was soooo bored and soooo fat that I could barely move. I spent hours each day reading books, watching episodes and listening to audios. People were bringing me Doctor Who things instead of maternity stuff Grin

There are some excellent books and magazines out there that tailor to all ages and some of the reference and information books are among the best. Some of it is stretched a bit thinly in an attempt to make a few quid, but every now and then you get brilliant ones, like the Brilliant Book or the Encyclopedia and they are just brilliant.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 01:10:09 pm »

When it comes to books it's the reference stuff that I love most (incidently, is the 100 objects book worth pickign up?). As I've gotten older I've stopped with the novels so much, though I still do buy the odd few. With the magazines I now restrict myself to just DWM. It's increasingly hard to find DWA around here but if they have a cool giveaway I will look for it.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 05:43:09 pm »

Got to be honest PP - it was a Xmas present & I haven't done much more than give it a cursory flick through at this point. I'll investigate it a bit more later & get back to you.
Report Spam   Logged

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 11:23:12 pm »

The 'Where's the Doctor' book is amazing.  I want it!!  For my daughter...naturally.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 12:05:25 pm »

There's another one now called 'When's The Doctor.' Obviously I don't have it, but this is what it looks like:

Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 01:50:36 pm »

Got to be honest PP - it was a Xmas present & I haven't done much more than give it a cursory flick through at this point. I'll investigate it a bit more later & get back to you.

It's a good book. There is interesting information and facts, however the choice of objects is random to say the least. I think they were stretching it a bit for ideas on what to use.
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 02:17:08 am »

The Monster Guide sounds good. I've never seen that one before. I've read one for another show (Buffy) and it was about 600 pages and crammed full of information on pretty much everything. It was an awesome read so I think I'd enjoy that one.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 11:19:50 am »

It's quite old now (ie only up to the end of Ten's tenure) - I keep expecting them to announce an updated version. The good thing about it is it covers both eras of the show.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 11:33:11 am »

I completely forgot about the Brilliant Book releases. Shouldn't there have been another one a few months back for 2013? I hope they haven't stopped them already. They're actually really good.
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 12:02:32 pm »

They are tied quite closely to the series, so I figured they haven't done one because we haven't had the full series yet - if they do one now it would only have half the usual amount of info in it.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 12:16:21 pm »

Yeah, that's a good point actually, I never thought of that.
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 04:15:03 pm »

Desktop Patrol Dalek vs Bump & Go Cybermat

Yes I know I'm cheating again. But this is the one of the age old DW debates - Daleks or Cybers - only in mini merch form. These guys are both equally brilliant & pretty similar in what they do. They are both battery operated roaming toys - the only difference is one of them is supposed to avoid bumping into stuff (it doesn't in fact but that is half the fun of it) & the other is meant to bump stuff to cause it to change direction (and it does).

I reviewed the DTP Dalek ages ago (if you haven't seen my review you can read it HERE - shameless plug I know!) & I have a similar level of love for Bitey, so I can't separate them. They can stand locked in battle here in my list.

Which one do you prefer?
Report Spam   Logged

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 04:18:30 pm »

Definitely the Cybermat. Far cooler, I think, though both are pretty nifty.
Report Spam   Logged
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 04:41:53 pm »

The Dalek looks like it's dressed to play American Football. Those shoulders are HUGE!! Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 08:56:07 pm »

How very dare you!!!

Desk Patrol Dalek is brilliant. It's so rubbish at what it is actually meant to do, that as PRG says, that just makes it better!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: