The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 04:03:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Hannah's Top 10 New Adventure Novels

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hannah's Top 10 New Adventure Novels  (Read 678 times)
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« on: January 07, 2013, 02:17:48 pm »

I am a keen reader, and although I haven't had the time to read that much recently, I still love to read. And I love to read these Dr Who books. I have therefore decided to pick my top 10 NuWho novels, ones which I have thoroughly enjoyed reading and always wanted to pick up and read again!

Feel free to comment between entries. Tell us your thoughts on the choices or even what you would have put in the story's place (or even if they deserved a place). If you want to, you can build your compile your own list to show how you would list them yourself.

My list will cover only the new adventure novels from 2005- present.
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 02:22:34 pm »

Dead of Winter

The Eleventh Doctor
Released 28th April 2011

This is one book which initially confused me and made me very reluctant to carry on, purely because I felt that I didn't understand it. I am a believer that you should never give up on a book once you've started reading, and I'm glad I didn't. The more I read of this book, the more I was fascinated by what was happening.

I don't want to give the story away, but this book is well and truly worth a read if you haven't already. Once I was first that initial barrier I honestly couldn't put this down, so why not pick it up and give it a read? Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 02:30:58 pm »

The Eleventh Doctor books have gone down really well. Much better, it seems, than the ones for Nine and Ten did. I've not read this one, but I have read reviews of it and they have been really positive.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 04:59:56 pm »

This is a good book that I read a while back. Not the best of the Eleventh Doctor stories, but a strong one all the same.
Report Spam   Logged

Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 12:53:25 am »

This was never one I could get into. I think the beginning of the book dragged on for too long without too little going on.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 01:00:01 pm »

I think as the books for Doctor Who become more up to date with the Doctors, they also start to become younger in their target demographic. I've always thought that the older books are more geared towards the older readers and as a result have a more grown up, scary feel to them. That is why this book is sort of surprising. It doesn't feel toned down for the reader but instead sets quite a creepy scene and at times builds up a great tension. It's a great book.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 11:26:46 am »

Only Human

The Ninth Doctor
Released 8th September 2005

Only Human is the 5th New adventure novel since Doctor Who started back in 2005. It has an enjoyable story, and I seem to remember that I couldn't put it down the first time I read it!

The story includes Rose, The Doctor and Captain Jack, and I absolutely love reading the ninth doctor books with all three of them in. This one is written brilliantly and is well worth a read!

Again, I don't want to ruin the storyline if people haven't read it so won't mention much about what happens, but here is the blurb... See if it appeals to you! Smiley

"Somebody's interfering with time. The Doctor, Rose and Captain Jack arrive on modern-day Earth to find the culprit -and discover a Neanderthal Man, twenty-eight thousand years after his race became extinct. Only a trip back to the primeval dawn of humanity can solve the mystery.

Who are the mysterious humans from the distant future now living in that distant past? What hideous monsters are trying to escape from behind the Grey Door? Is Rose going to end up married to a caveman?

Caught between three very different types of human being - past, present and future - the Doctor, Rose and Captain Jack must learn the truth behind the Osterberg experiment before the monstrous Hy-Bractors escape to change humanity's history forever..."
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 01:03:01 pm »

There aren't many Ninth Doctor books that I have read, but this is one that I actually have and while I think the premise is strong I think some of the character stuff lets it down slightly. Perhaps it was just early days, and Gareth Roberts is a brilliant writer, but for me he just didn't get the characters voices. The actual story though was good.
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 02:20:47 am »

This is why these lists are so great. I'm not familiar with these, but it makes me want to hunt them out to see why they have made a top ten list. If these lists can do that and spread awereness of certain products or stories or characters then I'd say we've done something cool.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 12:27:40 pm »

I've not read either. Books are usually where I fall down with Doctor Who. I have a couple but mostly I go for audios or dvds
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 09:08:33 am »

The Price of Paradise

The Tenth Doctor
Released 21st September 2006

Only Human is the 12th New adventure novel since Doctor Who started back in 2005. It has a very gripping storyline, and again is one which I recommend!

The story includes Rose and The Doctor and contains some absolutely brilliant descriptions from Colin Brake!

Like the others I don't want to ruin the story so here a quick summary, see if it takes your fancy Smiley

"Laylora - the Paradise Planet. A world of breath-taking beauty, where the peace-loving inhabitants live in harmony with their environment, or do they? The Doctor and Rose arrive to find that the once perfect eco-system is showing signs of failing. The Paradise Planet has become a death trap as terrifying creatures from ancient legends appear and stalk the land.

Is there a connection between the human explorers who have crash-landed and the savage monsters? What secret lies at the heart of the natives' ancient ceremonies? And what price might one human have to pay to save the only home he has ever known?"

Have you read this one? What did you think? Would you pick it up to read if you haven't already?
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 11:50:47 am »

The synopsis sounds good, but it's not one I've read.
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 12:11:51 pm »

I really need to read more of the novels. Again, the synopsis for this sounds good but had I not read it on here I'd never have sought it out.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
The Cyber Mistress
Earthling
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 05:13:52 pm »

Dead of Winter is one of the few novels from the series that I have read. I've found that the ones involving classic Doctors are generally better though. That story isn't bad by a long shot, it just felt aimed towards a younger audience.
Report Spam   Logged
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 01:37:51 pm »

The Stone Rose

The Tenth Doctor
Released 13th April 2006

This is another brilliant book- written by Jacqueline Rayner who is written many of the new series adventures including "The Winner Takes All" and "The Last Dodo". I bought this book as soon as it came out and honestly couldn't put it down. It is one of the few books which I've read in a day.

A brilliant plot supported by strong characters and amazing writing it is a book which I would again highly recommend! 

"Mickey is startled to find a statue of Rose in a museum - a statue that is 2,000 years old. The Doctor realises that this means the TARDIS will shortly take them to ancient Rome, but when it does, he and Rose soon have more on their minds than a sculpture.

While the Doctor searches for a missing boy, Rose befriends a girl who claims to know the future - a girl whose predictions are surprisingly accurate. But then the Doctor stumbles on the hideous truth behind the statue of Rose - and Rose herself learns that you have to be very careful what you wish for..."

Have you read this? What did you think? If not is it one which you would pick up to read?
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 05:14:28 pm »

This is perhaps my favourite of the books featuring Ten and Rose. It would have worked so well had they adapted it for the screen.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Sparky
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Nine
Favourite Companion: Rose

View Profile
100 Posts 50 Posts Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 02:58:05 am »

Great list so far. I think I have read all the new novels and all the ones you have chosen so far are brilliant reads
Report Spam   Logged
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 01:53:07 pm »

I've never read this one. I have it but like so many other books I've just never gotten around to it.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 12:29:18 pm »

It's an ok story but it's not one of my favourites. It starts well and ends well but it sags in the middle and drags out a bit
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 01:27:59 pm »

I think this one was actually the first one I read. It's really good.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: