The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 04:29:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Hannah's Top 10 New Adventure Novels

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hannah's Top 10 New Adventure Novels  (Read 679 times)
The Cyber Mistress
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 04:00:24 pm »

It's an ok story but it's not one of my favourites. It starts well and ends well but it sags in the middle and drags out a bit

I agree with this comment. It's good, but there are lots better. Probably why Hannah hasn't got it higher Grin
Report Spam   Logged
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 04:01:48 pm »

Apollo 23

The Eleventh Doctor
Released 22nd April 2010

This is the 37th New Adventure novel released since 2005 and the first of the 11th Doctors. This is another one of those books which was written before the author Justin Richards had seen any of the TV shows to go on. Justin Richards has written other books in the New adventures including: The Resurrection Casket, The Clockwise Man, The Deviant Strain, Martha in the Mirror and Code of the Krillitanes , therefore I think it is safe to say that Justin Richards is no stranger to writing these kind of books!

I was excited when my books arrived in the post and I couldn't put it down! This is a brilliantly thought out story, one which I love. See what you think?

"‘Houston – we have a problem.’

An astronaut in full spacesuit appears out of thin air in a busy shopping centre. Maybe it’s a publicity stunt.

A photo shows an immaculately-dressed woman in her best shoes lying dead at the edge of a crater on the dark side of the moon – beside her beloved dog ‘Poochie’. Maybe it’s a hoax.

But as the Doctor and Amy find out, these are just minor events in a sinister plan to take over every human being on earth. The plot centres on a secret military base on the moon – that’s where Amy and the TARDIS are.

The Doctor is back on Earth, and without the TARDIS there’s no way he can get to the moon to save Amy and defeat the aliens.

Or is there? The Doctor discovers one last great secret that could save humanity: Apollo 23."
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 07:32:36 pm »

I actually own this one! I only got about 20 pages in though and then never went back to it. I will eventually
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 08:06:55 am »

The Feast of the Drowned

The Tenth Doctor
Released 13 April 2006

This was the first of the New Adventure novels that I read, and I remember reading it all in a day during May half term. I honestly couldn't put it down. My mum also bought me the audiobook cause she knew I loved it so much, and it (well Disc 1) became what I would listen to as I tried to fall asleep. I can probably still recount the opening section.

This book written by Stephen Cole is full of brilliant descriptions and I really really love all the New Adventure novels he has written (The Monsters Inside, The Art of Destruction, Sting of the Zygons). The Feast of the Drowned was very easy for me to get in to and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to read one of the Adventure novels.

"When a naval cruiser sinks in mysterious circumstances in the North Sea, all aboard are lost. Rose is saddened to learn that the brother of her friend, Keisha, was among the dead. And yet he appears to them as a ghostly apparition, begging to be saved from the coming feast... the feast of the drowned.

As the dead crew haunt loved ones all over London, the Doctor and Rose are drawn into a chilling mystery. What sank the ship, and why? When the cruiser's wreckage was towed up the Thames, what sinister force came with it?

The river's dark waters are hiding an even darker secret, as preparations for the feast near their conclusion..."
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 02:53:42 pm »

I have the audiobook version of The Feast of the Drowned and it's read by David Tennant.  I really enjoyed it!  Great story and read by 10 himself.  What's not to like?  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 09:25:56 am »

The Nightmare of Black Island

The Tenth Doctor
Released 21st September 2006

My copy of this is book is definitely well read. The spine is all creased and the pages are a tad curled. Those are both the signs that it was a good book. I clearly remember this book coming out while I was in year 8, and I honestly couldn't put it down. I read it cover to cover in one sitting. It is an enjoyable book with so many brilliant descriptions and characters.

I definitely recommend this book if you haven't read it already!

"On a lonely stretch of Welsh coastline a fisherman is killed by a hideous creature from beneath the waves. When the Doctor and Rose arrive, they discover a village where the children are plagued by nightmares, and the nights are ruled by monsters.

The villagers suspect that ancient industrialist Nathanial Morton is to blame, but the Doctor has suspicions of his own.

Who are the ancient figures that sleep in the old priory? What are the monsters that prowl the woods after sunset? What is the light that glows in the disused lighthouse on Black Island?

As the children's nightmares get worse, The Doctor and Rose discover an alien plot to resurrect an ancient evil...
"
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 10:51:47 pm »

Winner Takes All

The Ninth Doctor
Released 19th May 2005

Although I haven't picked this book up again since reading it for the first time I thoroughly enjoyed it. I remember every little thing that happened, and couldn't put it down! Smiley It's one of the first 3 new adventure novels released, written by Jacqueline Rayner, and it sets a good example for the rest of the novels which followed. 

Again I recommend this book if you haven't read it already!

"Rose and the Doctor return to present-day Earth, and become intrigued by the latest craze - the video game Death to Mantodeans. Is it as harmless as it seems? And why are so many local people going on holiday and never returning?

Meanwhile, on another world, an alien war is raging. The Quevvils need to find a new means of attacking the ruthless Mantodeans. Searching the galaxy for cunning, warlike but gullible allies, they find the ideal soldiers - on Earth.

Will Rose be able to save her family and friends from the alien threat? And can the Doctor play the game to the end - and win?
"
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 07:01:25 pm »

One of the better 9 books. It's a lot lighter than most, but that doesn't make it any less of a good read.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 12:57:51 pm »

Didn't like it. The writing was fine but the story was bland
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 03:50:22 pm »

The Forgotten Army

The Eleventh Doctor
Released 22nd April 2010

I had a big struggle picking between this book and my number one as both have been very very memorable reads for me.

The Forgotten Army is my most favourite of the Eleventh Doctor novels for many reasons. Firstly, the writing is absolutely brilliant and all of the placed used are described so well showing the author (Brian Minchin) has done considerable research in to it. Secondly, and perhaps why the book is one of my favourites, is because it is set in New York and I read it while I was in New York a couple of years ago. Reading this while in New York was the best thing ever. Everything that was being described was somewhere where I had been or seen just that day and it gave it more of a realistic feel for me. I just could not put this book down and I really really recommend you give this book a read if you haven't already. It has a kind of Angels of Manhattan feel (even though the book came first).

"Let me tell you a story. Long ago, in the frozen Arctic wastes, an alien army landed. Only now, 10,000 years later, it isn't a story. And the army is ready to attack.

New York – one of the greatest cities on 21st century Earth...

But what's going on in the Museum? And is that really a Woolly Mammoth rampaging down Broadway? An ordinary day becomes a time of terror, as Ice Age creatures come back to life, and the Doctor and Amy meet a new and deadly enemy. The vicious Army of the Vykoid are armed to the teeth and determined to enslave the human race. Even though they're only seven centimetres high. With the Doctor kidnapped, and the Vykoid army swarming across Manhattan and sealing it from the world with a powerful alien forcefield, Amy has just 24 hours to find the Doctor and save the city. If she doesn't, the people of Manhattan will be taken to work in the doomed asteroid mines of the Vykoid home planet. But as time starts to run out, who can she trust? And how far will she have to go to free New York from the Forgotten Army?
"
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2013, 12:22:02 pm »

I've got this one and never read it. I'll get there eventually I'm sure, I just generally like the new novels less. Some are awesome, but some not so much.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2013, 09:28:36 am »

The Monsters Inside

The Ninth Doctor
Released 19th May 2005

This is the 2nd New Adventure novel released since 2005 written by Stephen Cole who has also written lots of other New Adventure novels including: The Feast of the Drowned, The Art of Destruction and Sting of the Zygons, as well as the Sarah Jane Adventures Audio - The Glittering Storm and the 11th Doctor and Amy Audio adventure The Ring of Steel.

Stephen Cole is one of my favourite Doctor Who authors. He has brilliant writing and his books never fail to disappoint me. The Monsters Inside was the first 9th Doctor novel I read and I loved it so much. The story line is really really brilliant as is all the description.

This is another book which I highly recommend for anyone if they haven't read it already! My copy of it sitting on my shelf is very battered, showing just how much I have read it.

I leave you with the synopsis.

The TARDIS takes the Ninth Doctor and Rose Tyler to a destination in deep space – Justicia, a prison camp stretched over seven planets, where Earth colonies deal with their criminals.

While Rose finds herself locked up in a teenage borstal, the Doctor is trapped in a scientific labour camp. Each is determined to find the other, and soon both Rose and the Doctor are risking life and limb to escape in their distinctive styles.

But their dangerous plans are complicated by some old enemies. Are these creatures fellow prisoners as they claim, or staging a takeover for their own sinister purposes?
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2013, 10:51:35 am »

Not a story I have read myself, but one that I have heard is very good. Might be worth taking a look.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Sparky
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Nine
Favourite Companion: Rose

View Profile
100 Posts 50 Posts Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2013, 01:05:52 pm »

Excellent top spot. The Ninth Doctor novels are fantastic. Mostly
Report Spam   Logged
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2013, 09:26:29 pm »

This is a great one, and one I'd forgotten about for a long time. Might have to have a re-read
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: