The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 10:55:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Mr Chinn's Top Ten Companions

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mr Chinn's Top Ten Companions  (Read 505 times)
Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« on: January 08, 2013, 01:07:13 am »

There is a similar list being run by Roranicus at the moment but I figured we would probably have very different top tens and so would do mine as well. Also, I'm not terribly original and I didn't want to do one that would be a head scratcher and take ages to plan out, and with companions I pretty much know where I am straight away.

So, without further ado, here is the first...
Report Spam   Logged

Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 01:32:00 am »

Dodo Chaplet

Played by Jackie Lane

There isn't many 'best of' lists that would feature Dodo, of that I am certain, but there is just something about this girl that makes me want to always stand up and defend her. She has become to the 60's era what Adric or Mel are to the 80's in general fandom.

Dodo, and indeed the actress playing her, had it tough from the off. On screen she was filling the shoes of Susan and Vicki, squeezed into a mould she was never going to fit and as a result only ever being a comparison. Off screen they had no idea how to write her. Her character changed, he clothes changed and even did her accent, leading many to believe that she couldn't hold onto it rather than the real reason of the BBC putting their feet down about characters speaking in RP. And of course Jackie was much older than she was meant to be playing, adding another hard to swallow aspect to the character. It was all a bit shakey from the off, culminating in the actress being let go half way through a story and therefore giving the character no resolution or goodbye; she was just simply gone between episodes.

The thing is, I really like Dodo. Or maybe I just love a lost cause. Either way, I think she deserved better. She deserved better in her time and she deserves better from fandom now. A lot of her stories are missing which is a shame, but the ones that remain show off a well played, likable character who just wasn't given the chance to be anything more. She wasn't the only companion who suffered from this, but she was definitely treated the worst. I think if we had had more from the character and she had been given chance to develop then we would have a lot more fonder memories of her. But what ifs are easy and that wasn't to be.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:20:00 pm »

Aw Dodo! I can't help but pity her every time I watch her in a story. I like her but she's bland and doesn't do anything new or exciting. She wouldn't have made my list.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 12:51:35 pm »

I will always be a firm believer that Dodo was pretty great. Ok, she didn't have a lot to do and she didn't stick around for very long, but I liked her all the same. She wasn't ever trying to be anything she wasn't, she was just a nice, pleasant, easy to watch character. She didn't give us high thrills and adventure but she didn't do anything particularly annoying, either.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 12:27:44 am »

Dodo wouldn't have made my list, but not because she is bad, but rather because she doesn't have a lot going for her. She was never fiesty or dramatic or brave. She was just along for the ride. I liked her, but I want more from a companion.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 01:08:08 pm »

I think Dodo has suffered from the snowball effect. Enough people say she was bad that others start believing it because the masses couldn't possibly be wrong and the whole thing gets bigger and bigger. I can find no reason for her unpopularity other than the fact that she was unceremoniously let go from her contract, causing widespread gossip, rumour and speculation. If we look solely at the character and her time on the show I think she was pretty good. It's just so easy to overlook her because most of her stuff is missing and she wasn't given a tremendous amount to do. Her biggest story was having a cold. She wouldn't have made my list, but I am glad to see her make someones.
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 02:18:46 am »

While she isn't awful, she is kind of bland and boring. It's not her fault, she was just unlucky enough to be another copy and paste companion from the early years.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 03:57:53 pm »

I'm not keen. I don't understand the hatred towards the character, but there is nothing special going on there either.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 08:55:10 pm »

Dodo's cool. Not amazing, but harmless enough.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 12:36:54 pm »

Dodo is always going to be a companion that sparks debate, I think, but I have never understood why. I like her, and while she may not have always had the most interesting stuff to do, she was never bad or badly acted, I don't think.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 12:30:47 am »

Liz Shaw

Played by Caroline John

Liz Shaw is an odd one when it comes to companions and assistants of the Doctor. She wasn't just someone along for the ride or wanting to see what the Doctor could show her, and she wasn't even there because she wanted to be, but was instead tasked to work with him. More interestingly though, was the fact that she was his intellectual equal which is something we haven't seen before or since, and I think this played a huge role in why we only saw her appearing in 4 stories during the Third Doctors run.

It is well known that Caroline John wanted out of the role pretty much from the beginning so finding out she was pregnant was probably a blessing for her, but it seemed that the people behind the scenes wanted her out as well so it all came together well, I suppose. Having someone there to challenge the Doctor on an intellectual level is all well and good, but if she already knew everything that was going on then there was nobody there to tell the Doctor how great he was or ask him what he was doing on behalf of the audience.

She is also unique, of course, in that she never got to travel in the TARDIS, with all her stories being set on Earth. And those Earth stories are what make her such a great companion. She didn't get to go off to the stars and she didn't get sent back through time either, but her four stories with the Doctor remain some of the best in the run of the show and she played the role she was given with such gusto and drama that you can't help but think she is awesome (if you are me, anyway). It's just a shame that she is so often overlooked.

Liz wasn't around for long, but for me she really was brilliant. Unfortunately, being brilliant was her undoing in the end and a simpler (though no less awesome) companion was needed instead.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 11:18:40 am »

She'd have placed higher on my list. I think she is brilliant and totally underrated and overlooked. It's a shame because the character was great and she was in 4 excellent stories.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 10:29:21 pm »

Liz is one of my all time favourites. I'd have rated her a lot higher on my list. She never gets the recognition she should.
Report Spam   Logged

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 12:37:28 pm »

Liz is great. Definitely a strong companion and one of my favourite of the era.
Report Spam   Logged
The Cyber Mistress
Earthling
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 04:33:41 pm »

I really love both of them, but I don't think either would have made my top ten list. Not because they are bad, but because others are better imo
Report Spam   Logged
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 12:21:19 pm »

She would be right at the top of my list. I love her. There's nothing conventional about her and that's what really stands out to me. It was that though that ended up seeing her leave. She only had 4 stories but they were all awesome.
Report Spam   Logged
Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 11:06:39 am »

Martha Jones

Played by Freema Agyeman

Like Dodo in the classic series, Martha comes in for a lot of stick in the new series, most of which I think is unfair to both the character and the actress. While I would agree that she was sometimes written a bit poorly, I do think that the character really could have gone on to better things, had she been treated a bit better within the show.

After the departure of Rose, the Doctor decided to mope. And mope and mope and mope. His moping meant that Martha really never stood a chance. Episode after episode he kept reminding her, and also the audience, that she wasn't Rose and that he didn't want her around. It took almost half the season before he finally accepted her as his companion and by that time the damage was done and the audience just didn't take to her. I think if the Doctor had been more accepting of her then so would the viewing public.

What people seem to forget though, is that Martha was strong and mature and independent and I think personally, far superior to Rose who came before her. She didn't have a long run in the show and she didn't manage to win over the public, but I think had she had more time to develop and better treatment from the writers then she could have been amazing.
Report Spam   Logged

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 09:26:01 pm »

After the departure of Rose, the Doctor decided to mope. And mope and mope and mope. His moping meant that Martha really never stood a chance. Episode after episode he kept reminding her, and also the audience, that she wasn't Rose and that he didn't want her around. It took almost half the season before he finally accepted her as his companion and by that time the damage was done and the audience just didn't take to her. I think if the Doctor had been more accepting of her then so would the viewing public.

You're right there. The writing really didn't help and nor did the Doctor's feelings towards her. It also didn't help she was another one lusting after him. So because of these reasons I am unfortunately one of those who doesn't like Martha much. Or her family Huh?
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 12:33:29 pm »

I definitely agree about the reasons that the fans didn't take to her. Some of the writing for the character was awful, but overall I quite liked her. Covering the whole series I'm not certain if she would have made my list, but I do understand your reasons for adding her, and based on the list so far, I'm not surprised to see her inclusion.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 11:21:32 am »

I love Martha. GO MARTHA! I don't get why people aren't keen on her, I really don't. The writing did get iffy at times, but the character was always great, I thought.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: