The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 02:24:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Diary of a New Guy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diary of a New Guy  (Read 634 times)
Nick Sean
Tin Dog

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
100 Posts 50 Posts Level 3
« on: January 16, 2013, 12:21:39 pm »

Wow, I didn't think so many people would be that interested. Thanks guys Cheesy

Ok, so in the past few days work caught up with me and I didn't manage to watch as much as I would have liked to, but I did get through a few episodes and I've just put on the reconstructed story of The Celestial Toymaker for the story section on this forum so I'm dipping into the classics too, though whether it's a good place to start is anyones guess.

Anyway, on we go.

The End Of The World
I liked this one a lot. When I first started watching the show a little while back I found an episode online from the 60's or 70's where the Doctor and his companion were on a planet and there were lots of people there all from other planets having a meeting. I only saw a small bit of the overall story and I have no idea what it was called, but this puts me in mind of that. Some of the characters in this were great and I liked that I'm slowly getting to know more about the Doctor. They played it really well with Rose, I think, because as she finds out, so do we. It's like we are kept in the loop through her. I was gutted when the tree woman died. I liked her. I knew that Cassandra would be the baddie. And that bit with the jukebox was hysterical. Sorry, this is getting to be a mish-mash of thoughts, now. I liked it more than the first episode. I'd give it 8/10.

The Unquiet Dead
This is more like it. I love history. I've been looking forward to getting some stories set in the past. Being in space is awesome, but I love sets and costumes and things like that from days gone by. It was neat having Dickens in the story and I liked how they tied the story into his works. I didn't find the story particularly scary, but I did like the creepy atmosphere that it had. Gwynedd was a cool character, but as I've come to expect already, the cool ones always seem to die. She did good though, so at least it was a strong ending for her. I loved Rose' reaction to them being in Cardiff instead of where they were meant to be going. This is the first story so far where it really felt like they were on an adventure as apposed to doing something that sets up the series. It was really good and I'd give it 9/10.

Aliens of London and World War Three
I wasn't expecting a two parter. There hasn't been any since I started watching with Asylum so I thought all episodes were one parters. I didn't mind though, obviously. This story wasn't great, unfortunately. Some of the characters were funny though. Harriet in particular made me laugh the way she kept introducing herself to everybody. That was a funny touch. The aliens looked a bit like they were designed for young children, and the farting makes me think that perhaps that was exactly the intention. I wasn't keen on that bit. The overall premise of the story, with aliens wanting to mine the earth etc I thought was really cool, but it got a bit stupid. Oh, and if I haven't mentioned previously, I love Rose' mum! She's great! This one gets 5/10

Dalek
This is one of those stories that I think was a bit of a loveletter to the fans of the classic series. The story is excellent, but I think if I was aware of the Daleks more and had been through a long period of the show being off the air then the impact of having this episode would have been greater. As a new fan I could still appreciate it though. The first episode I ever watched was a Dalek one so it was nice to have a bit of continuity for myself. I liked the way they had that human interaction, giving the Dalek feelings and making it think outside the box. Obviously I know Rose isn't around forever and there was a moment there when I thought we were going to see the end of her, and that was cool. It's nice to not know these things sometimes. I'm glad that we get more of her though. And a new companion too. I like him so far though I hope he and Rose don't get romantic. I don't know if I would like that particular subplot. I'm glad that Henry got his karma in the end. That guy was so irritating. I'll give this a 9/10.

And that's as far as I've gotten this week. It's mostly rambling though. I'm not good at reviews. I'll post more as I get through them
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: