The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 03:17:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Diary of a New Guy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diary of a New Guy  (Read 630 times)
Nick Sean
Tin Dog

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
100 Posts 50 Posts Level 3
« on: January 11, 2013, 01:47:11 pm »

Ok, so to begin with I have just started watching the series. The first episode I watched was Asylum of the Daleks when it aired in the Autumn. After I saw that I watched about 3 episodes online and now after having got the box sets I am starting from the beginning of the 2005 series and working my way up to speed, hopefully in time for the show to return in the spring.

Everyone on the forum is buzzing about the 50th anniversary, but with my knowledge being so limited there isn't much I can join in with, so my contribution, if it is allowed, is to discuss my way through catching up with the new series. I'd also like to watch some from the early years too, but don't know where to start on that (though PRG has just helped me out with that one). Sorry if there is a better place that I could have posted this. I'm still discovering new areas of the forum. Also, given that years have passed since these aired, sorry if this is really boring.

Rose
So, first look at the Ninth(?) Doctor and my first thought were that he was sad. Sad and angry. He doesn't seem to have a lot of patience and he definitely isn't as lighthearted as what I have seen with Matt Smith, though there are some nice light moments from him, too. Rose is quite a cool character. She is nothing like Amy (or Clara), which is good. She sort of seems more real, in a way. A bit like the girl you knew at school or who lives down the road from you. That's good I think. Makes her more relatable.

As far as the story goes, I thought it was nice an easy to watch. If I had started watching with this episode it would have eased me in well enough. I have no idea if there were references to the classic series in it, but if there were they obviously didn't confuse of lose me, which is good. Some of the characters were a bit annoying. I don't think much of Rose' boyfriend at the moment. I'm guessing we will see him again, but he just seemed a bit pathetic in this. I wouldn't have stuck around for him either. I quite like the idea of shop dummies coming to life. The mundane can often be very scary, but I think the bin was a bit silly and the burping a bit childish. Also, how could Rose have not seen the difference in her boyfriend when they were eating? Grin

I've not got much to compare this to, but it's not the strongest story I have seen. I did like it though and I think that had I watched when it aired, I'd have been intrigued enough to come back to it. If I had to rate it I think I would give it 7/10.

I'm going to do episodes 2 and 3 later today so will post my thoughts when I am next on Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 02:11:32 pm »

This is a great idea - I look forward to following your thoughts on the episodes  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Nick Sean
Tin Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 02:22:08 pm »

Thanks. Hopefully I won't bore people by treading old ground. It will be cool to hear what others thoughts are too, if they want to add them.
Report Spam   Logged
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 03:27:14 pm »

Rose is a good start to the series, but from what I can gather isn't very popular within fandom. It does it's job though and opens the series up to new viewers in an easy way. The Autons (window dummies) are actually from the classic run so that's your first link there. I'd agree about Mickey and the bin, too. RTD (the writer and showrunner) had this thing where he would often stick something really stupid or childish into a story (look out for the farting aliens later in the run). He's a great writer, but he never seemed to curb that. Same with his animal aliens he liked to use over and over again.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 08:31:13 pm »

Cool idea. I wish I was discovering it all for the first time again. Rose is a good jumping on point because that is entirely what it was conceived to be. It's the later episodes where it starts picking up the pace. Series 1 is a bit up and down and it's obvious they were getting used to making it, but Rose and Nine held it together and were brilliant throughout.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 10:32:41 am »

I know what Exterminate means - the chance to discover Doctor Who again fresh would be awesome.  And when you've got through NuWho, there's 26 series of classic Who to go Cool

Without giving away spoilers, you'll gradually find out why the Doctor's sad and angry - especially in the sixth episode.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 01:25:45 pm »

I think you'll enjoy it as long as you stick with it. There's plenty to enjoy and it really does cater to everyone.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 12:33:12 am »

It won't be boring. It's always good to have new people on board enjoying the show and always good to have new posters. Plus it will be good to see your perspective Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 04:37:17 pm »

A really wonderful idea. I agree with Exterminate and Nyki, wish I could watch them all afresh again myself Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Blazin Goliath
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: 12
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams

"Where I stand is where I fall.”

View Profile
Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 04:03:43 am »

I think this is an excellent idea. One of the main reasons I introduced all my friends to DW was to see the series again through new eyes (Much like the Doctor does with his companions). I'll definitely be keeping up with these Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Wonderful chap, all of them"
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 08:12:22 pm »

This is a great idea. In the years since Series 1 aired the stories have seemed to be weaker than I initially remembered them, but I still think they work really well and lead in perfectly to where the series is at now. It's a great journey. And if you can fit the classics in as well it's an even better one.
Report Spam   Logged
Nick Sean
Tin Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 12:21:39 pm »

Wow, I didn't think so many people would be that interested. Thanks guys Cheesy

Ok, so in the past few days work caught up with me and I didn't manage to watch as much as I would have liked to, but I did get through a few episodes and I've just put on the reconstructed story of The Celestial Toymaker for the story section on this forum so I'm dipping into the classics too, though whether it's a good place to start is anyones guess.

Anyway, on we go.

The End Of The World
I liked this one a lot. When I first started watching the show a little while back I found an episode online from the 60's or 70's where the Doctor and his companion were on a planet and there were lots of people there all from other planets having a meeting. I only saw a small bit of the overall story and I have no idea what it was called, but this puts me in mind of that. Some of the characters in this were great and I liked that I'm slowly getting to know more about the Doctor. They played it really well with Rose, I think, because as she finds out, so do we. It's like we are kept in the loop through her. I was gutted when the tree woman died. I liked her. I knew that Cassandra would be the baddie. And that bit with the jukebox was hysterical. Sorry, this is getting to be a mish-mash of thoughts, now. I liked it more than the first episode. I'd give it 8/10.

The Unquiet Dead
This is more like it. I love history. I've been looking forward to getting some stories set in the past. Being in space is awesome, but I love sets and costumes and things like that from days gone by. It was neat having Dickens in the story and I liked how they tied the story into his works. I didn't find the story particularly scary, but I did like the creepy atmosphere that it had. Gwynedd was a cool character, but as I've come to expect already, the cool ones always seem to die. She did good though, so at least it was a strong ending for her. I loved Rose' reaction to them being in Cardiff instead of where they were meant to be going. This is the first story so far where it really felt like they were on an adventure as apposed to doing something that sets up the series. It was really good and I'd give it 9/10.

Aliens of London and World War Three
I wasn't expecting a two parter. There hasn't been any since I started watching with Asylum so I thought all episodes were one parters. I didn't mind though, obviously. This story wasn't great, unfortunately. Some of the characters were funny though. Harriet in particular made me laugh the way she kept introducing herself to everybody. That was a funny touch. The aliens looked a bit like they were designed for young children, and the farting makes me think that perhaps that was exactly the intention. I wasn't keen on that bit. The overall premise of the story, with aliens wanting to mine the earth etc I thought was really cool, but it got a bit stupid. Oh, and if I haven't mentioned previously, I love Rose' mum! She's great! This one gets 5/10

Dalek
This is one of those stories that I think was a bit of a loveletter to the fans of the classic series. The story is excellent, but I think if I was aware of the Daleks more and had been through a long period of the show being off the air then the impact of having this episode would have been greater. As a new fan I could still appreciate it though. The first episode I ever watched was a Dalek one so it was nice to have a bit of continuity for myself. I liked the way they had that human interaction, giving the Dalek feelings and making it think outside the box. Obviously I know Rose isn't around forever and there was a moment there when I thought we were going to see the end of her, and that was cool. It's nice to not know these things sometimes. I'm glad that we get more of her though. And a new companion too. I like him so far though I hope he and Rose don't get romantic. I don't know if I would like that particular subplot. I'm glad that Henry got his karma in the end. That guy was so irritating. I'll give this a 9/10.

And that's as far as I've gotten this week. It's mostly rambling though. I'm not good at reviews. I'll post more as I get through them
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 12:38:03 pm »

The two parter isn't a fondly remembered story amongst most of fandom, so I'm not surprised you weren't as keen on it. The other stories on that list though are all great. Well, I'm not as keen on TEOTW, but I don't hate it. TUD and Dalek are amongst the very best of the season for me though.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 06:08:29 pm »

The episode you're referring to sounds like episode 2 of The Daleks Master Plan, in my opinion possibily the greatest Doctor Who story ever, though unfortunately mostly lost now.  I can see exactly what you mean by the comparison, although that's a gathering of baddies.

I agree about the Slitheen in the two-parter, and it's notable that most of their reappearances since have been in The Sarah Jane Adventures, the spin-off aimed primarily at children (though well worth watching).  They're not one of my favourite Who enemies.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 12:12:17 pm »

I remember going through all this myself about 2 years or so ago. It's fun. I've come a long way since then though and have built up a huge collection of classic DVDs too.

The episodes you've mentioned I think you have been pretty spot on in your reviews. The Slitheen are dreadful, but you haven't seen the last of them. The Unquiet Dead and Dalek are both brilliant, but I love The End of the World, too.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 10:35:23 pm »

Dalek is an absolute cracker of an episode. It really showed the Daleks off well, but some of the other Dalek stories in NuWho have been a bit weak. Not all, but some. Highs and lows, I guess.
Report Spam   Logged

Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 09:45:01 am »

I'd love to be seeing them all again with fresh eyes. Some of the stories are best when you get that initial shock or surprise.
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 06:58:27 pm »

Don't hold out hopes for the new companion. If you like him by the end of the series you'll be in a group of about 17 people Grin
Report Spam   Logged

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 08:25:11 pm »

This is making me remember when I first caught the Who-bug a few years ago and started watching them all from 2005 on.  Can't wait to read what you think of the rest of them Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 12:26:13 am »

I agree about the Slitheen in the two-parter, and it's notable that most of their reappearances since have been in The Sarah Jane Adventures, the spin-off aimed primarily at children (though well worth watching).  They're not one of my favourite Who enemies.

They don't get any less annoying in that though, unfortunately!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: