The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 19, 2024, 12:28:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Random Facts About.... The Celestial Toymaker

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Random Facts About.... The Celestial Toymaker  (Read 312 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: January 13, 2013, 11:59:56 am »

If you know anything random or interesting about this story then note it down in here and share it with the rest of the forum Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 05:12:11 pm »

This story contains a racial slur, heard during the recital of eenie meenie miny moe. It was dubbed over for the audio release.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 12:39:36 am »

Cyril was so obviously based on Billy Bunter that the BBC had to issue a denial that there was any connection between the characters.  This was broadcast during the closing credits of episode 4.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 11:13:58 am »

The final script we see on screen is the third that was written and only the characters remain from the initial script, with the plot being overhauled completely.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 04:38:25 pm »

Cyril was so obviously based on Billy Bunter that the BBC had to issue a denial that there was any connection between the characters.  This was broadcast during the closing credits of episode 4.

The final script we see on screen is the third that was written and only the characters remain from the initial script, with the plot being overhauled completely.

Another interesting fact that ties these two together is that one of those rewrites is because the story had already been accused of stealing ideas and characters once before from a Gerald Savory play.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 08:33:26 pm »

Michael Gough who played the Toymaker was at the time married to Anneke Wills who went on to play Polly a few weeks later.
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 11:36:07 am »

I was just saying in another thread I have no idea who he is. The name sounds familiar but I couldn't point him out in a lineup. The only time I was aware of the show getting into trouble because of this was with the candy guy in the 80s
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 05:53:45 pm »

Billy Bunter was from the Greyfriars school stories by Frank Richards, which were published from about the 20s or 30s onwards.  He wasn't originally the main character, just a comic relief figure, but he gradually took over the stories.  He was pretty much exactly as shown (his catchphrase was "Yaroo") except that he didn't actually try to kill people  Cool  There was a TV version during the 60s, though I'm not sure it was on at exactly the same time as this story, so he was a very familiar figure.

Frank Richards wrote under a lot of different names (that wasn't his real one) and at one time was in the Guinness Book of Records as having written more published words than any other author on record.  I don't know if that still stands.
Report Spam   Logged

Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 11:59:54 pm »

Billy Bunter was from the Greyfriars school stories by Frank Richards, which were published from about the 20s or 30s onwards.  He wasn't originally the main character, just a comic relief figure, but he gradually took over the stories.  He was pretty much exactly as shown (his catchphrase was "Yaroo") except that he didn't actually try to kill people  Cool  There was a TV version during the 60s, though I'm not sure it was on at exactly the same time as this story, so he was a very familiar figure.

Frank Richards wrote under a lot of different names (that wasn't his real one) and at one time was in the Guinness Book of Records as having written more published words than any other author on record.  I don't know if that still stands.

How they ever got away with it is beyond me. Cyril even shouts 'yaroo' in the episode. It's so blatently Billy Bunter
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: