The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 02:32:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Hello!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 656 times)
CollieMonster
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Sarah Jane Smith

Jelly baby?

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
50 Posts Search 10 Posts
« on: January 18, 2013, 07:25:22 am »

I've only learned about The Doctor recently. Well, I knew about Doctor Who for a while, but never watched it. There was a guy in my class in high school who had the coolest Tom Baker scarf, and i *think* we might have watched a Tom Baker story in one of my English classes, but I can't remember for certain (it was only 9 years ago, but...). The last place I lived, my landlord kept a bunch of his crap at the house. One day I opened the kitchen cabinet and saw it was FULL of Doctor Who on VHS. I thought ot myself "Hmmm, I oguht to watch some of those some time, I've heard good things about it," but never got around to it (I moved soon after, as my landlord was super creepy).

I started watching the new series in I think February or March 2012 (wait, almost a year already?) on an impulse - I had Amazon Prime and it said "You might enjoy this!" Boy, were they ever right. I watched one episode ("Rose") and though hey, this is kind of interesting. So then, of course, I had to watch the next episode. And the next. and the next, and, well, you get the idea. When I reached the end of the first series, I was thoroughly confused, shocked, excited, a bit sad...I had no idea what regeneration was or that the Doctor was capable of it. When the next guy showed up I thought "There's no way I can get used to this man..." Well, of course I DID get used to him, he was fantastic. Then came Smith, and again I thought "I KNOW there's on way I'll get used to THIS guy!" And again of course I did. I say it took me "a season" to get used to Matt Smith, but that's not fair, because that season was viewed over the course of two or three days (I think that makes it hard to get used to anyone when you're new and playing catch-up...you don't have time to think anything through with a marathon).

After I finished series 6, I thought maybe I'll stop here, and just watch the new ones as they air. Surely I couldn't go back and watch 26 seasons of this. That would be insane. Right? Well, I finished by the start of April, thinking the new season would be starting in April. Obviously it didn't, and I had 5 months to kill before I got a new episode. So I figured I'd watch Torchwood and the Sarah Jane Adventures, and then at least one story from each classic Doctor. But that wasn't enough. You see, I have autism, annd part of autism is that when I get into something, I get REALLY into something. I'm not done until I know everything there is to know about something.

A few months back someone told me to start with Pertwee and work my way forward, then go back to Hartnell after that. I started that, and I'm currently getting ready to start season 17 with "Destiny of the Daleks." I've had a bit of trouble finding that one (not even my library has it, and they have almost every available Doctor Who episode at least on VHS if not DVD). I think I have finally tracked it down as a Netflix DVD, so as soon as I finish what I'm watching now I'm switching over to DVDs instead of streaming and hoping it's there. I tried starting City of Death without watching Destiny of the Daleks, but I just can't do it.

Tom Baker is, as of yet, my favorite Doctor. Of course when I was new, the Doctor of whatever season I was on was "my favorite" but now...I KNOW he's my favorite. There's just something about him that I can't quite put my finger on. I'm SO glad I decided to go ahead and start the classics.

Sarah Jane is my favorite companion. When I was new, I didn't know that Elisabeth Sladen had died. As it approached the anniversary of her death, I found out about it. I have never cried for someone I don't know before, ever, but I cried when I found out about her. Still do. I can't watch "School Reunion" without crying at the end anymore. And of course I cried like a baby when she left in the classics.

Speaking of crying, that's something Doctor Who has done for me. It's opened up a whole world of emotions that I've never been able to properly express before. As I said, I have autism, so the expression of emotions can be confusing at best to me. When I watch Doctor Who (or Torchwood, or Sarah Jane Adventures), I'm not ashamed to cry, to laugh, to tense with excitement...it was strange at first, but now, it's just the way it is, and I LOVE it. It's also given me a completely different perspective on life. It sounds cheesy, but Doctor Who has significantly changed my life.

Anyway, if you're still with me by now, you know I like to write. A lot. Anyway, some more background on me. I'm in the US, currently in Kansas (bleh). I'm on the board of directors for our local UKC dog club which is not even a year old yet (and one of our members is a classic Whovian, she even grew up in Cardiff!). I compete in both AKC and UKC with my dogs. My smooth collie (Logan) is my all-arounder - I do rally and lure coursing with him, and will start traditional obedience this year. I'd like to start herding with him as well. He is also my service dog. My boxer (Gavroche) was my "starter dog" and is the reason I do dog sports at all. He has AKC and UKC rally titles, but is now semi-retired from the ring due to anxiety originally stemming from hypothyroidism. He does still do lure coursing, and LOVES it! I'm working on my second undergraduate degree, this time a BS in Zoo Science - my first degree is a BA in Psychology with a minor in biology. I work part time in a vet clinic and part time in the education department of the local zoo. I've been toying with the idea of going to grad school, but if i go I want it to be amazing, as in overseas amazing. Part of my still says I'm 25 and ought to be done with school and be an adult, but what's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes?  Wink

My other addiction, besides Doctor Who, is tea. Whole-leaf loose tea. I could write pages just about that, but I'll spare you and leave it at that for now.

I'm pretty much an open book, so if you have questions, feel free to ask!
Report Spam   Logged

"Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness and love." ~Sarah Jane Smith

AKC/UKC Pt'd Moxie's Adamantium Man URO1 RA CA HIC TT CGC, Service Dog (Smooth Collie)
Gavroche de la Rue URO1 RA CGC (Boxer)
The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe (Crested Gecko)
Lis (Mouse)

The Eclectic Collie
Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 09:17:38 am »

Hey there, welcome to the forum Smiley

It's cool that the show has had such a profound effect on you. Season 17 has some great stories (a couple of ropey ones too, mind). I think once you have seen all the Doctors you might change your mind on your favourite. Maybe. I love one, two and seven the best.
Report Spam   Logged

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 10:13:50 am »

Welcome to the forum Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 12:42:46 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  I've been a Doctor Who fan for so long that one of the joys of this forum is watching people discover it fresh.
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 06:51:37 pm »

Welcome to the forum  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 07:06:28 pm »

Hey, welcome. I hope you enjoy it here Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 08:53:48 pm »

Hi there and welcome!  I am happy to hear about the world that Doctor Who has opened up for you.  It's a great show on so many levels.  I still have to find time to get through the classics so I am bit jealous of you in that respect.

I am also in the US (waves at you from Pennsylvania) and I loved hearing about your dogs.  I have a 6 year old bi-blue Shetland Sheepdog named Quinlan (Quinn for short) and I have always wanted to try my hand at agility with him.  Maybe someday I will have the time and money to do it!
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
The Cyber Mistress
Earthling

View Profile
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 01:08:32 pm »

Nice to meet you, welcome to the forum. I look forward to your posts Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
CollieMonster
Easily Exterminated

Jelly baby?

View Profile WWW
50 Posts Search 10 Posts
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 01:31:31 pm »

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone!
Report Spam   Logged

"Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness and love." ~Sarah Jane Smith

AKC/UKC Pt'd Moxie's Adamantium Man URO1 RA CA HIC TT CGC, Service Dog (Smooth Collie)
Lis (Mouse)

The Eclectic Collie
The Cyber Mistress
Earthling

View Profile
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 01:32:59 pm »

We're a nice bunch Smiley

How're you finding it here?
Report Spam   Logged
CollieMonster
Easily Exterminated

Jelly baby?

View Profile WWW
50 Posts Search 10 Posts
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 11:06:49 pm »

I haven't had as much time to explore yet as I would like, but so far I think this place is pretty cool  Afro
Report Spam   Logged

Lis (Mouse)

The Eclectic Collie
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 01:58:07 am »

Welcome to the forum. It's nice to meet you Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 10:57:49 am »

Welcome aboard Smiley
Report Spam   Logged