The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 06:19:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Cyber Mistress's Top Ten Cybermen Stories

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Cyber Mistress's Top Ten Cybermen Stories  (Read 673 times)
The Cyber Mistress
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« on: January 19, 2013, 05:25:21 pm »

I love the Cybermen. A lot! I wanted to get in on the action and this was the first list that came to mind. I think it will be a pretty straightforward list with stories from both the classic and new runs of the show. I'm not sure how often I will update it, but there won't be enormous gaps in between. I look forward to hearing what you all think Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
The Cyber Mistress
Earthling

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 05:38:55 pm »

Tenth Place

Rise of the Cybermen/The Age Of Steel

I have to admit I was a bit disappointed when I didn't get to see the Cybermen return in the first series. I suppose the priority was always going to be about getting the Daleks back on screen though. When it finally did happen in series 2 I wasn't exactly over the moon.

It's sort of hard to be subjective here. I love the story. I think we were given a great plot with some excellent characters, but these aren't the Cybermen that I loved and that took some getting used to. I didn't mind the redesign. They have had so many over the years that there isn't exactly a definitive look. I think their heads are a bit small compared to the rest of them, but I like it all the same.

The main reason though that this is at the bottom end of my list is simply because of the disappointment with the Cybus idea. I watch later stories and just pretend Cybus has nothing to do with them being here, but in this story you can't escape from it. There really was no need for the change in backstory.
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 11:29:14 am »

I'm with you on this. I think the story is actually pretty great and I actually really like the redesign, but I wasn't too keen on them being from Pete's World. There was surely ways to write them back in under their old stories as they have done with the Daleks time and again, and having a group of emotionless killer robots created by an insane evil crippled genius is something we've had before.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 02:30:46 pm »

It wouldn't have made my list. I think a lot of the newer Cyberman stories have been quite weak in comparison to older ones. I'm looking forward to the one in S7 a lot though.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 12:24:15 am »

I like the story. When I watched this I was aware of Cybermen but not of their origins and whatnot, so this was as good as any. In hindsight perhaps it could have been tackled in a better way but it's a good story all the same. A good choice, I think.
Report Spam   Logged

Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 02:22:56 pm »

I don't think I would have included this one. Not because of the Cybus stuff, but just because it's never been a particular favourite of mine. I love the Cybermen but I think they have had better outings than this.
Report Spam   Logged

Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 02:23:10 pm »

Also I see an X instead of the pic
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 12:18:21 pm »

I think bringing them back was always going to be hard and after 'Dalek' the stakes were even higher. This story has it's problems and some bits of it are just downright stupid, but it's not all bad. I wouldn't have put it on my list but I do like it.
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 02:02:05 pm »

I think the story is good, and like Aneurin I had no idea of their origins when I was watching them. In fact, barring a brief scene in The Pandorica Opens I had no idea who they were. Now I've seen more of their stories I think this is probably one that would be lower down my list, but I'm not sure if it wouldn't be on there at all.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
The Cyber Mistress
Earthling

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 04:05:05 pm »

Bit of a mixed bag there. Perhaps my next offering will be more of a pleaser Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
The Cyber Mistress
Earthling

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 04:20:21 pm »

Ninth Place

The Wheel In Space

The Wheel in Space has never really had it easy. It's a great story, but it's lost amongst a season of great stories. It's a missing story, but it's lost amongst some brilliant missing stories where the hope for return is higher. But this story shouldn't be overlooked. Mostly because it's pretty awesome. The Cybermen come back for their third appearance to a strong story that also gives us new companion Zoe. The atmosphere is dark and they really went out to make the Cybermen seem as scary as possible. In fact, this is perhaps one of their most menacing outings. The claustrophobic feel of the Wheel, with Cybermen lurking down every corridor must have scared kids of the time witless. And the death rate is sky high. Nobody is safe in this one.

This story really is great, but the reason it doesn't make a higher placing on my list is simply down to one thing. The Cybermen. Ironic, really. They were scary in this. No doubt about it. But the writers seemed to go to great lengths to make them seem a bit daft. Their dastardly intentions became too overcomplicated and more and more absurd as the story progressed. A straight forward invasion would have worked fine, but instead they overdid it.
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 01:48:51 pm »

I want to see this one so badly. It's always fascinated me. I think it's a mix of the loss of the episodes with the introduction of the new companion or something. I don't know, I've just always wanted to see it. Maybe I will hunt out a recon.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Sparky
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Nine
Favourite Companion: Rose

View Profile
100 Posts 50 Posts Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 10:11:04 am »

Excellent story, but not one I expected to see as I didn't think it was particularly popular. I've always thought it was good fun though.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 07:35:26 pm »

Good choice. Often overlooked and not the best outing for the Cybers, but still a decent story.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 03:13:09 pm »

Not familiar enough with this one to say whether or not it would have made my list, but the general feeling I have is that this one isn't too popular for whatever reason. Perhaps time for me to break out the audio.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 10:47:50 am »

The Wheel in Space is one of my favourite Cybermen stories. It's not generally featured amongst the best, but I think it's a lot of fun.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: