The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 06:08:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review New Earth

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 2 (15.4%)
4/5 - Really Good - 2 (15.4%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 8 (61.5%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 0 (0%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 1 (7.7%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review New Earth  (Read 273 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: January 21, 2013, 01:24:14 am »

In the first of this weeks two stories in The Infinite Quest we turn to the Tenth Doctor, series 2 premier episode, New Earth.

In the distant future, an order of cat-nuns cure all illnesses, but the Doctor is suspicious of their methods. He must uncover the truth and save Rose from the vengeance of his old enemy, the Lady Cassandra.

New Earth was the 1st episode of Series Two of the revived Doctor Who, and the middle of the "New Earth" trilogy also containing The End of the World and Gridlock. It featured reappearances of Cassandra O'Brien.Δ17 and the Face of Boe, and introduced a mystery surrounding the Face that would later be a major part of the overall story arc of Series 3. It was also the first BBC Wales episode to be almost entirely set off Earth and beyond Earth orbit.

Behind the scenes, it was the final appearance of Zoë Wanamaker, but it was the first time that actors Anna Hope or Adjoa Andoh had worked on the programme. Principal photography was rocky enough to be remarked upon by two different sets of commentators. Its overruns and difficulties negatively impacted upon other episodes within its production block.

The second of this weeks stories is currently posted and a new story will be entered on Sunday January 27th.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 11:34:40 am »

New Earth isn't a story that I ever seem to rewatch unless I am planning on doing the whole season. It has it's moments where it's funny and the ending is sweet, but as stories go it isn't one of the strongest. Ten was still bedding in as the Doctor at this point and I think he does a good enough job, but I think they should have gone with something a little more exciting. I've given it a 3/5
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 02:50:48 pm »

It's not quite a four, but a high three, for all that it matters. The return of both Cassandra and Boe was nice, but at the time it was rare. We get too many returning characters these days. The story, like 'Rose', was really just a bit of fluff to get us used to the Doctor. Nothing game changing or taxing on the brain, just an easy story.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 12:29:20 am »

For comedy value alone I am giving it a four. I think the same allowances should be given to this that are given to Rose in that it's bringing in new viewers and also as well as setting up a new Doctor it is also providing much of the audience with something new. Regeneration. It's something that takes a bit of getting used to I think. It's not a strong story but it's fun and brings you in. I think that can be said of all RTDs openers.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 12:35:52 am »

I've gone with a three.  There's nothing particular wrong with it, and it has some good bits, but it just isn't a story that excites me much.  A few things strike me as not making a lot of sense - in particular, I don't quite buy Cassandra's sudden change of heart.
Report Spam   Logged

Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 12:58:31 pm »

Just a three from me. It wins points by giving some good humour but the actual plot is a bit daft and I'm not so keen on the ending.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 01:42:13 pm »

Three from me. I like some parts of it but there is a lot of it that just doesn't work. I think having familiar characters around helped to intergrate the new Doctor but I think they should have gone with something new instead.
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 02:35:01 pm »

Doing a rewatch of this this week reminded me of how much I enjoy it. It's a fun and easy little story. I've scored it 4/5
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 07:07:55 pm »

I've given it a 3.

It's quite fun and I find the scene at the end pretty sweet, but otherwise there's not much substance to it.
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 07:40:41 pm »

5 from me. Was the first Who episode I ever saw, and it kept me coming back. Can't give it anything less than that. It's funny and very enjoyable.
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 08:23:48 pm »

This isn't a bad story by any means, but I think it's just far too slow. I like a bit more action in my stories and this doesn't provide it for me. I've gone with a three
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
thebunnyinthetardis
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: David Tennant & Pat Troughton
Favourite Companion: Donna, Jamie & Zoe

View Profile
50 Posts Poll Voter Level 2
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 07:13:30 am »

While the simplicity of the medical cocktail comes off as too much of an easy fix toward the end, overall I really think this is a great episode.  David's versatility as an actor is impressive.  He's really called on to show every aspect of the Doctor, from the cheeky to the compassionate and everything in between.  His comedic portrayal of Cassandra is utterly hysterical, and Billie's no slouch.  The whole body swapping sequence is fantastic--good timing, great chemistry, etc.  The concept of the future hospital where everyone is being cured and the nefarious cat people managing the "flesh" in order to better mankind (who don't seem to question how all these cures are coming about) is really quite disturbing. In some ways I wish they'd gone just a touch further with the script--let it be darker, and not have the cure seem to simple.  The concept behind it was good, but it ends up being rather corny.  The ending is bittersweet and well played.  I liked the continuity of this sort of flawed utopian society later being revisited in Gridlock.
Report Spam   Logged
lastofthejagaroth
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Ace

The centuries that divide me shall be undone!

View Profile
Apple User Level 4 Signature
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 02:59:26 pm »

Wow. I really do have different views than most. Just about everyone here have said it's funny. I, on the other hand, couldn't find one joke I laughed at. The whole "body-swap" thing was too farcical for words and it just wasn't original. The only saving grace was our two leads. If I could describe it one word it would be: Yecch.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: "You're Mr Thick Thick Thickety Thickface from Thicktown, Thickania. And so's your dad."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: