The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 02:19:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review Fear Her

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 0 (0%)
4/5 - Really Good - 1 (8.3%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 2 (16.7%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 4 (33.3%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 5 (41.7%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review Fear Her  (Read 346 times)
thebunnyinthetardis
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: David Tennant & Pat Troughton
Favourite Companion: Donna, Jamie & Zoe

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
50 Posts Poll Voter Level 2
« on: March 17, 2013, 07:56:33 am »

As I've stated elsewhere, I don't hate this story.  It isn't one of the strongest scripts or one of my favorites, but I don't hate it.  I actually like the concepts quite a bit--the lost and lonely alien "child," the troubled/traumatized human child, the distraught mother, the power that fear can hold over all of us (particularly children).  The Doctor is shown as compassionate and concerned for both children--and we get a hint that he understands the situation both as a father would as well as what it is like to have been a lonely child (which builds on that lovely moment in The Empty Child when the Ninth Doctor is talking to little Jamie through the door and trying to figure out why all the other children have run away and it seems very obvious that he knows what it is like to be the one left behind).

Other elements I like: the scene with the 10th Doctor eating the marmalade from the jar with his fingers without even thinking about it.  Absolutely classic and sums up the Doctor so well.  I adore that image.  I like that they showed the Doctor's ability to connect psychically because that was established in Classic Who, so it was a nice gesture in continuity.  I liked he Olympic Torch bit, even if it is a bit schmaltzy.  I even sort of like Rose's immaturity because it helps to establish that she's still very young and doesn't know as much about life as she thinks she does.  She thinks Cloe is just being a brat, but the Doctor sees beyond that.  The idea of trapping people in pictures is fascinating, too.  The mundane setting is probably the thing that makes it the least interesting.  I find myself wanting to forgive it that because they were dealing with various constraints.  I forgive it much the way I forgive wobbly sets from earlier generations.  I try to focus on the story itself, I guess.

Perhaps this is one of those episodes that many adult viewers have to watch through the eyes of the children in their lives.  Kids seem to have a different reaction to it.  They understand the fears and the loneliness and the desperate desire to control their situation so they don't feel so helpless.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: