The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 12:26:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review Fear Her

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 0 (0%)
4/5 - Really Good - 1 (8.3%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 2 (16.7%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 4 (33.3%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 5 (41.7%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review Fear Her  (Read 347 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: January 21, 2013, 01:46:41 am »

For the second of this weeks stories we are with the Tenth Doctor in Series 2's Fear Her.

London 2012, and the Tenth Doctor and Rose Tyler set off to see the Olympics, only to find terror in the most ordinary place.

Fear Her was the eleventh episode in the second series of Doctor Who and was a last minute addition to the series, replacing a script written by Steven Fry that was unable to be completed in time. In 2009, Doctor Who Magazine conducted a reader poll to rank the first 200 Doctor Who stories in order of preference. Fear Her ranked 192nd out of 200, earning it the dubious distinction of being the lowest-ranked story of the 2005-present revival.

The next story will be posted on Sunday January 27th
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 11:59:42 am »

I appreciate that this story was written at short notice with little left in the budget, but surely they must have had something better on standby just in case they needed something quickly. The whole story is just sort of boring. The thing is, with more time there could be something really good in it. Better settings and better acting would have improved it all no end. This one just doesn't do it for me so I've given it a 1/5. I think that's the lowest score I've ever given in TIQ.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 03:08:23 pm »

I wanted to give it a 2 just so I didn't have to give it a 1, but I couldn't find a good reason. This story is BAD!! From start to finish. It's made even more painful to watch because of the dreadful acting from the little girl. I never ever rewatch it unless I am doing a whole rewatch of the season and even then it's a chore.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 12:46:21 am »

I've been a bit more generous than the others (though not as generous as the anonymous 3) and gone with a 2.

This story has so many bad points that it is hard to count them, but there is a good story in there just trying to get out. I think with more time and script development and probably budget too, this could have been a good story. It just wasn't to be.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 12:47:00 am »

It's made even more painful to watch because of the dreadful acting from the little girl.

I'd say this is a huge factor.
Report Spam   Logged

Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 01:27:38 pm »

There are probably less than five stories in the whole 50 year run of Doctor Who that I would give a score of 1, but this is one of them. I've just never liked it. I'm sitting here racking my brain trying to think of positives but the only thing that comes to mind is that I thought Rose looked nice. Can't really mark it up for that though.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 10:39:03 pm »

I've given it a 2.  I don't really hate it in the way a lot of people seem to - it just doesn't do much for me.  I agree with Aneurin that there's a good story trying to get out, but it doesn't, and I also agree that the child was pretty awful.  They've managed to find plenty of perfectly decent child actors in various other stories - the kids in The Empty Child, little Reinette, Cal, and of course Caitlin as Amelia, so there's no excuse for it.

I think the other main thing wrong with it was that the resolution was just too simple.  It should have been a bit more difficult than just tossing the pod into the flame.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 04:05:16 pm »

I've gone with a two for this story. There isn't a lot going for it but it's not so dreadful that I can't make it through a viewing. The overall story isn't a bad one, it's just poorly plotted with bad dialogue, bad acting and a bad ending. They tried something different and it didn't work, but at least they tried.
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 02:52:49 pm »

I've gone with a one. Every time I watch it I like it less than the time before. It's hard to pick out positives.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 06:45:53 pm »

I've gone with 2. It isn't good by any means, but I can think of episodes I'd rather watch less.
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 07:32:31 pm »

I'm going to go against everyone and give it a 4. I really enjoy this episode. No way is it a bad episode in my opinion- maybe that's down to the age I was when it was first broadcast? The Olympics was something that everyone was talking about at that time so it was a brilliant storyline to use.

The idea of a kid drawing pictures that cause the real things to disappear is genius in my idea. I don't get bored of it either and I don't think I ever wil. Like I said - maybe it's down to the age I was when I first saw it. But I love it Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 08:28:11 pm »

1/5 from me. There was so much potential in this story but it just ended up being crap.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
thebunnyinthetardis
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: David Tennant & Pat Troughton
Favourite Companion: Donna, Jamie & Zoe

View Profile
50 Posts Poll Voter Level 2
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 07:56:33 am »

As I've stated elsewhere, I don't hate this story.  It isn't one of the strongest scripts or one of my favorites, but I don't hate it.  I actually like the concepts quite a bit--the lost and lonely alien "child," the troubled/traumatized human child, the distraught mother, the power that fear can hold over all of us (particularly children).  The Doctor is shown as compassionate and concerned for both children--and we get a hint that he understands the situation both as a father would as well as what it is like to have been a lonely child (which builds on that lovely moment in The Empty Child when the Ninth Doctor is talking to little Jamie through the door and trying to figure out why all the other children have run away and it seems very obvious that he knows what it is like to be the one left behind).

Other elements I like: the scene with the 10th Doctor eating the marmalade from the jar with his fingers without even thinking about it.  Absolutely classic and sums up the Doctor so well.  I adore that image.  I like that they showed the Doctor's ability to connect psychically because that was established in Classic Who, so it was a nice gesture in continuity.  I liked he Olympic Torch bit, even if it is a bit schmaltzy.  I even sort of like Rose's immaturity because it helps to establish that she's still very young and doesn't know as much about life as she thinks she does.  She thinks Cloe is just being a brat, but the Doctor sees beyond that.  The idea of trapping people in pictures is fascinating, too.  The mundane setting is probably the thing that makes it the least interesting.  I find myself wanting to forgive it that because they were dealing with various constraints.  I forgive it much the way I forgive wobbly sets from earlier generations.  I try to focus on the story itself, I guess.

Perhaps this is one of those episodes that many adult viewers have to watch through the eyes of the children in their lives.  Kids seem to have a different reaction to it.  They understand the fears and the loneliness and the desperate desire to control their situation so they don't feel so helpless.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: