The Doctor In The TARDIS
November 18, 2019, 02:00:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Child Abuse

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Child Abuse  (Read 26 times)
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: January 21, 2013, 03:32:13 pm »

There are themes here about domestic and child abuse. I've seen people complain that they shouldn't be included in this type of show but personally I think any kind of awareness is good and helpful. Do you think it should be left alone? Or perhaps dealt with in a better way? I have to admit, when I first watched it wasn't even something that stood out to me. Perhaps that's ignorance or misunderstanding on my part, but when I saw it discussed a few years back somewhere else and then watched again, it all seems more obvious now. Whether or not Doctor Who is the place to have such stories though is open to debate I guess.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 01:07:46 am »

I can't say I'd ever connected the two things to be honest. I mean, some of it is quite evident in the plot and her fear, but I guess I'd never really assumed it was a subject that they were ever trying to tackle beyond the 'monster' story. Though perhaps that is the point. Using it as a sort of euphemism
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 08:48:50 pm »

I don't think it is something they should shy away from. They've actually got a good way of working things like that into the show. It's like on Buffy when Joss Whedon said that all the 'demons' that she faced were standins for the real things we come up against in life. I think that is sort of what they aimed for with this.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 01:39:55 pm »

I don't see any reason why things like this shouldn't be included in this type of show. If it educates people from a young age then surely it is doing good. That's even if children make that link in the first place
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 10:52:48 pm »

I agree, it's a good way of dealing with issues like this, in the same way that Doctor Who has always dealt with moral and political issues in "stand-in" ways.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 03:13:21 pm »

I think as long as the subject isn't made light of and is handled well then there is no reason themes like this shouldn't be included. Childrens shows are usually full of them. Tracy Beaker is set in a home for unwanted kids (though I haven't watched so I don't know their reasons for being there), Childrens Ward was on when I was a kid and was basically all about kids getting sick and dying etc. I think it's good for children to become aware of these sorts of issues early on as long as it is handled with care.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: