The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 05:49:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Next Showrunner

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next Showrunner  (Read 434 times)
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« on: April 08, 2011, 10:32:09 pm »

Following on from a thought I had elsewhere who do you think will pick up the mantle of showrunner when Mr Moffat decides to hang up his hat?
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
missadric2
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Peter Davison
Favourite Companion: Adric/ Amy Pond

Imagination is the key to Everything

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 3
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 04:22:08 pm »

Well the obvious answer is Mark Gatiss but personally I want someone else maybe toby whithouse?Huh? Although he has Being Human so maybe not
Report Spam   Logged

'An apple a day keeps the.....oh never mind!' - fifth Doctor

The 5th Doctor will always have a special place in my heart and will always be MY Doctor

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 06:35:19 pm »

Interesting thought Mandy. I suppose the smart money has got to be on Toby Whitehouse (and he would not give me any troubles at all). I wonder, though, if it might not be time for a fresh face - someone like Rob Shearman would get my vote. A genuine fan who absolutely knows how to craft a brilliant story. I think his choice of Doctor would be interesting and I think as a custodian of the show he'd be amazing.

If we are in wibbly wobbly timey wimey land - then i'd love a couple of seasons of J.K. Rowlings Doctor Who Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 11:54:42 am »

In addition to the above, I wonder how someone like James Moran (Fires of Pompeii) would do? There is a load of brilliant, young-ish Sci-Fi writers who could really do a job on this!

That said, fingers crossed that we will have The Moff for a good 3 or 4 seasons yet though Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 12:10:57 pm »

Not James Moran. Anyone but. I don't like his writing and I don't trust the amount that he needed to be rewritten for DW. I wouldnt mind him there as an ideas man because I think some of his plot ideas are great, but I wouldn't particularly want him any more hands on than that.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 01:23:27 pm »

Not James Moran. Anyone but. I don't like his writing and I don't trust the amount that he needed to be rewritten for DW. I wouldnt mind him there as an ideas man because I think some of his plot ideas are great, but I wouldn't particularly want him any more hands on than that.

I'm not certain he would be my first choice either to be honest. I'm hoping - as I say - that we'll have the pleasure of Moff's writing for many years to come but I rather fear a 5 year tenure would probably be all we could expect (with the last year like RTDs - a bit light on Who). This means we probably only have another 2 series after this one.

I suppose it is probably a long way off - I think the thing is I don't see Mark Gatiss as showrunner material either. My other call would have been Paul Cornell but he is currently topping the NY Times Best seller list and I suspect is about to 'Do a Gaiman' and go stellar in America!
Report Spam   Logged

missadric2
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 11:06:38 am »

Yeah I don't want James Moran either but Mark Gatiss to me is a good idea BUT as the next showrunner I'm not too sure
Report Spam   Logged

The 5th Doctor will always have a special place in my heart and will always be MY Doctor

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 11:11:05 am »

I don't want Mark Gatiss doing it. He doesn't know his arse from his elbow when it comes to a good story. I liked The Unquiet Dead but his others have all been abysmal. It's well known how much I love the Daleks, but even VOTD had enormous holes in that were a bit too much. I love the new Daleks though!! Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

missadric2
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 11:21:30 am »

Ah well you see The Unquiet Dead was my first story when it came back so I guess that's why I like Mark Gatiss but like I said as the next showrunner I don't think so but I do like him though. I do like the idea of Toby Whitehouse Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 12:25:34 pm »

I don't think there is anyone on the current team who particularly stands out to me as a potential heir to the DW throne. Toby Whithouse might be half decent I guess. Hopefully by the time Moff leaves there will be other names in the frame
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 09:28:37 am »

Well, what a season it has been... We are one week away from the season finale where there will be lots of questions answered and lots posed. I just thought i'd give this thread a bump and see if, in light of the writers and stories we've had this season, whether we had any new runners and riders for the position of show runner.

Steven Moffat: The current incumbent and the creative force behind the most ambitious season of Doctor Who ever seen. He seems to be happy in the role but given the success of Sherlock can he keep all the plates spinning at once? Will he finally tire of fandom and media attacks? My guess is that he wants to stay in charge of Who at least until the 50th Anniversary (which gives him 2 more years) by which time he'll have done the job for possibly four seasons? The big question for me is whether the BBC continue to let him pilot two mainstream shows?

The Contenders:

Gareth Roberts: Famous super-fan and New series writer. He has a wide knowledge about the show and no one can deny how much he loves Doctor Who. His stories tend to be solid adventures but they do tend to polarise fans a bit - and as show runner he would be expected to write at least half of the seasons run.

Toby Whitehouse: One of the brightest writing talents in Sci-Fi at the moment. He has written some very good stories and is the creative force behind 'Being Human'. I think this makes him an outsider given his continued involvement in Being Human - would we want to risk losing that?

Paul Cornell: In 2006 he was looking a very strong choice for next show runner, however he has since gone on to great things in America. There is no doubt about his writing pedigree and would be my preferred choice in an ideal world, but I don't think - given his US success - that it will happen.

Neil Gaiman: Chances of this happening 0.00000000001%, desirability of this happening 1000000000% Indeed there is actually more chance of The Doctor becoming the show runner than Neil Gaiman. But if i close my eyes and wish really really hard...

A New Person: We tend to look inward to the existing writing pool - and for good reason as this is what we know. There is, however, a chance that the BBC might want to look outside the current range of writers and go for a fresh take. As i said earlier in the thread, I would love Robert Shearman but the BBC might want a complete purge and go for not only a non-Who writer, but also a non-Sci Fi writer.

I've just put this list out there, is there anyone obvious I'm missing (please don't say RTD)....?
Report Spam   Logged

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 07:20:26 pm »

I don't really have much of an idea of who I would like to see take over when Moffat takes over. The people who realistically could take over aren't that good in my opinion, and the ones who I do think would be good enough have commitments elsewhere and so probably wouldn't. One thing I know though is that a lot of people have been talking about Mark Gatiss taking over (I'm not sure if that's already being discussed on this forum), but I would absolutely hate for him to get the gig. There is no doubting that he is a huge fan, but he just doesn't seem to get the show or what makes a good story. I think he is better off just being a fan.
Report Spam   Logged
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 08:51:15 pm »

I deliberately didn't mention Monsieur Gatiss as I know he raises the hackles of a lot of Who fans. I'm going to say that I really loved The Unquiet Dead, I liked very much The Idiots Lantern and yes, goddamit I really enjoyed Victory of the Daleks. I didn't enjoy Night Terrors but I liked the vibe of it.

I do think fandom would literally take to the streets with pitchforks and burning torches if we had to endure half the season written by Gatiss (though I actually think he'd be a fine script editor - tinkering with other people's stories.
Report Spam   Logged

Sparky
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Nine
Favourite Companion: Rose

View Profile
100 Posts 50 Posts Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 02:35:33 am »

Gareth Roberts: Famous super-fan and New series writer. He has a wide knowledge about the show and no one can deny how much he loves Doctor Who. His stories tend to be solid adventures but they do tend to polarise fans a bit - and as show runner he would be expected to write at least half of the seasons run.

Toby Whitehouse: One of the brightest writing talents in Sci-Fi at the moment. He has written some very good stories and is the creative force behind 'Being Human'. I think this makes him an outsider given his continued involvement in Being Human - would we want to risk losing that?

Paul Cornell: In 2006 he was looking a very strong choice for next show runner, however he has since gone on to great things in America. There is no doubt about his writing pedigree and would be my preferred choice in an ideal world, but I don't think - given his US success - that it will happen.

These are the three names that came to my mind. I think they'd all do a great job. Though RTD said a little while back that if the show ever got in a mess he'd come back to sort it out rather than see it being cancelled again, so if it goes belly up we at least know the BBC have another option before letting the axe fall
Report Spam   Logged
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 01:23:30 pm »

RTD is brillint. He brought the show back, had a very clear vision for it and made it huge all over the world, but now he is gone a lot of fans have sort of turned on him. I think if he returned there would be riots in fandom. I wouldn't be against it though.
Report Spam   Logged
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 01:50:16 pm »

I wouldn't mind that at all. I like Moff but always preferred RTD
Report Spam   Logged