The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 12:04:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Doctor Who Experience

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Doctor Who Experience  (Read 5165 times)
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2010, 10:14:34 am »

Tickets didn't go on sale til 9 so I'm intrigued how they sold out before then (unless my clock's out again & you guys were posting after 9!) - according to the nice people at Ticketmaster I was successful in getting a pair  Smiley - they had better not be lying  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2010, 10:19:46 am »

It's probably just me getting it wrong and mishearing the radio this morning Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2010, 10:35:15 am »

No they possibly did say it - it took me a while to work out what I needed to do & one of the ticket providers was telling you to come back when they went on general sale (implication here is 'they are sold out') plus you had to choose time slots & many were pinging back as unavailable  Smiley

I am going to keep re-reading that confirmation email loads just to be sure  Huh?
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2010, 03:05:38 pm »

Interview with Philip Murphy (Head of BBC Live Entertainment) - http://www.denofgeek.com/television/687003/philip_murphy_interview_the_doctor_who_experience_doctor_who_live_and_the_50th_anniversary.html
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2010, 06:39:29 pm »

Kazrans isomorphic sky controlling machine will go on display at the Doctor Who Experience. It was announced today Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2011, 02:34:14 am »

As big a fan as I am, its not really an iconic prop and I would probably look at it on the tour and wonder what the hell it was
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2011, 04:50:10 pm »

SFX have an awesome interview with Mike Tucker who is doing all the design and work on the DWE. This is the best part, but there is loads more through the link at the end.

So, how did you become involved with The Doctor Who Experience and what is your role?

“I was contacted by BBC Worldwide last year and asked if I would be interested in pitching for the refurbishment of some of the props from the classic era of the show that had been on display in various places like Longleat and Blackpool over the years.

“So I went down to the store in Cardiff and took a look at some of the key items that they would like to refurbish. And I basically made the recommendation that the best way forward was to strip everything back down to its component parts and try to put them back together as close as possible to how they looked when they were last seen on screen.

“Now, some of these things are 40 years old, and at the time they were designed to last for, what – two a half weeks of filming? So some of them were in a reasonably poor condition.

“But obviously, with my background as a BBC visual effects designer and with a lot of my crew being ex-BBC staff, I was in a position to say to the Beeb, ‘Well, look, not only do I know how these things were put together, but in some cases I can use some of the designers and assistants who worked on them the first time around.’

“So they agreed to that. We came up with a list of certain items that they would like in this exhibition and we’ve been in the process of making them look better than they’ve ever done before.”

Was there any monster that was completely beyond hope?

“You’d be surprised. One of the items that we’ve been doing is the only surviving Zygon. Now, that had rotted to the point where literally all of the foam rubber was falling to dust. And the Latex had gone extremely crispy. Because they’ve had actors sweating inside them; they’ve had slime spread on them; and they’ve been stuck under studio lights. Plus, it was, what, ’75 when the Zygon was done.

“But because some components of it are fibreglass, and there is such good photo reference of it around, we were able to do quite a good job by taking out all the pieces that were still in a repairable state, and then taking moulds off other items that weren’t, and just looking at how it had originally been put together. Also I gave that project to Colin Mapson, who is one of the original BBC effects designers from the ’70s and worked on a lot of Doctor Whos. So he has actually recreated the Zygon from the ground up.”

So, how “original” is the Zygon you’ve turned out?

“I would say we are 80% original and then 20% new build. But it has been done in such a sympathetic way to how the originals were made, I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised how good that looks.”

“It’s been that sort of juggle. I mean, one of the items we’re doing is an Ice Warrior. Now the Ice Warrior itself – the sort of turtle shell torso – is fibreglass, and that has survived very well, given that it was built in ’67. So we took that off the mannequin that it was on, and we discovered that it’s still got Bernard Bresslaw’s name written on the back of it – he was the enormously tall actor from the Carry On films who played the first Ice Warrior. So we’ve established that it is the original one.

“The legs were in pretty poor condition but we were able to salvage one of them in such a way that we could take a mould off it. So we recreated the legs from the original prop. Then the head and the arms have been brand new sculpts. But having got the leg and torso there, we were able to match textures and colours. So there you’ve got something that is maybe 50% original and 50% new build. But hopefully nobody’s going to able to spot the joins.”

“The idea, though is, ‘don’t try to update them; try to make them as they would have been back in the era the things were made.’”

Doctor Who fans, being Doctor Who fans, will clearly read something into the fact that there are going to be Zygons and Ice Warriors in the Experience. Are the kids being prepped for their return in the new series?

“We haven’t been told anything our end about that. Obviously, if there is a masterplan about why they’ve picked certain monsters we’ve certainly not been made aware of it.

“But one of the things we’ve tried to do is, if the monsters have come back in the new show, is there the possibility of finding an older version of the prop to refurbish? So with the Cybermen, for example, there is going to be an exhibit of Cyberman heads. So they’ve obviously got the ones from the new series, and then we’ve got a number of casts of ‘Silver Nemesis’ and ‘Revenge Of The Cybermen’ and ‘The Invasion’ and ‘The Moonbase’. But we’re also recreating a ‘Tenth Planet’ Cyberman, so you’ve got the evolution of the Cybermen right the way through.

“We’ve done a similar thing with the Sontarans. We’ve refurbished one of the 1980s costumes. And that’s going to be put alongside one of the new series ones to see how the thing has evolved.

“Daleks are the other ones. We’ve done the Special Weapons Dalek from ‘Remembrance Of The Daleks’. And there’s going to be a progression of Dalek types from the ’60s to the present day. And whereas from the ’80s era, we’ve got existing props, we’re actually using replicas to recreate some of the ’60s one. In particular we’re doing ‘The Dead Planet’ and ‘Evil Of The Daleks’.”

ARTICLE
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2011, 08:21:28 pm »

Awesome. I would like to count myself as one of those fans who now thinks that the Zygons and Ice Warriors are making a return Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2011, 06:43:20 pm »

I know its a tiny picture, but how awesome does the merchandise shop look?

Report Spam   Logged
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2011, 06:55:56 pm »

I know its a tiny picture, but how awesome does the merchandise shop look?

Very awesome - Oh dear I'm not going to be safe in there!  Tongue

Ok, I've got less than 2 weeks to come up with a spending limit!!!  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2011, 07:05:59 pm »

£500!!

That should get you a programme and a badge Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2011, 07:15:48 pm »

Haha that should be about right Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2011, 07:16:13 pm »

£500!!

That should get you a programme and a badge Tongue

Grin Happily the programme is included in my ticket deal!
Report Spam   Logged

Joedeane
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Paul McGann
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

View Profile
Level 3 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2011, 09:27:48 pm »

I have tickets for the first preview day, will anyone else be there?
Report Spam   Logged

--
is hastily reviewing the new Doctor Who experience... keep up with it here: http://joedeane.blogspot.com/

follow my twitter if you like @joedeane !

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2011, 09:32:34 pm »

I wish!! I think PRG is going to the preview, but I could be getting that confused. Someone on here definately said they were.
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2011, 09:35:51 pm »

I wish!! I think PRG is going to the preview, but I could be getting that confused. Someone on here definately said they were.

Yeah you're right - I'm going to the Saturday preview. Not relishing the early start, but I can't wait  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Joedeane
Hatchling

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2011, 09:36:13 pm »

I shall definitely be taking pictures!  Afro
Report Spam   Logged

--
is hastily reviewing the new Doctor Who experience... keep up with it here: http://joedeane.blogspot.com/

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2011, 09:40:18 pm »

Awesome. You will be sharing them with us poor folk on here who aren't attending I hope Tongue Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Joedeane
Hatchling

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2011, 09:43:08 pm »

Awesome. You will be sharing them with us poor folk on here who aren't attending I hope Tongue Cheesy
... I don't see why not  Wink
Not sure if I'll be allowed to take pics during the interactive bit though...
Report Spam   Logged

--

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2011, 09:44:56 pm »

Awesome, thank you Smiley

And don't worry about restriction. Turn the flash off and hide it under your arm Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: