The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 09:58:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

What are your hopes for the 50th?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your hopes for the 50th?  (Read 237 times)
Sparky
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Nine
Favourite Companion: Rose

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
100 Posts 50 Posts Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: January 28, 2013, 12:13:49 am »

Personally I want to see a big mix of all things old and new, but I am concerned that this is going to end up being like a celebration of the Moff era with all his characters and villains and whatnot. I think that we should have as many Doctors as we can fit on the screen and the same goes for the companions too. I have no idea how to write around their changed appearances, but for the sake of one story I'm not even sure I care.

If it is true that it will only be 60 minutes long then perhaps to save time they could have little previews in each episode running up to it to save time with how they are all on board. Wouldn't it be cool if they did something like The Avengers movies? After the credits roll on each episode we could have a little mini scene where each incarnation is called back into action by someone, maybe River or Jack, before having them all there in the anniversary episode. We have 8 coming up so perhaps nine and 10 could be found at the start of the episode. Or even they could be the ones gathering up their past selves, but we don't know until the last episode? Just a thought. What would you like to see?
Report Spam   Logged
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 12:16:18 pm »

That, sir, is one of the best ideas I have heard. Awesome. If they did that I would be more than happy to have them just focus on a couple of the Doctors, or cut the screen time down for them, in the special!

In regards to age I had an idea about how they could get around it, but it's longwinded and probably wouldn't fit an hour.

We have a villain, perhaps Omega or the Master or even the Angels, who has decided to mess with the Doctor's regen cycle to make him live to death, so instead of the regens we see on screen, all the Doctors are dying of old age before becoming the new guy. Eleven realised it will catch up to him sooner or later and so has to go back, tamper with time and effectively set something up in each timeline to make himself regenerate so that his timeline can go back to it's natural course. Maybe it turns out every time a bad guy comes along and actually beats the Doctor and causes him to change, it's actually because 11 put them on the trail and made it happen. But in the meantime he has to visit his other incarnations who are under the effects of these changes and they are all older and much changed in their timelines, still adventuring away until they die of old age and he has to go on to the next.

When I thought this out in my head it seemed to make a lot of sense. When I write it out, it doesn't. If any of you can make sense of it, well done Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 04:43:11 pm »

Maybe it turns out every time a bad guy comes along and actually beats the Doctor and causes him to change, it's actually because 11 put them on the trail and made it happen.

Now that immediately makes me think of the Watcher.  Maybe that's who he really is.

I think both ideas so far sound great.  I don't have any specific recipe - just lots of Doctors, lots of companions, lots of enemies.  Just chuck it all in, light the blue touchpaper and retire.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 12:44:37 am »

Both are great ideas. And with Sparky's, it could explain why so many people are saying they aren't in the 50th. Perhaps they are telling the truth. Maybe they'll be in 7b instead. DWM keeps calling it the 'anniversary season' so maybe there is more than meets the eye.

I keep having a vision in my head of the Doctor and Clara in a room with loads of doors and they open one by one, each with a Doctor and a companion behind them and the camera zooms in close on each one as they open. It's cheesy as hell, but then I expect (read: really hope) that it is!!
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 01:09:03 pm »

Awesome ideas there. I'm not a writer so I don't worry about the small stuff, all I know is that Moff needs to have at least 375 references to past adventures, 20 companions, every Doctor, every planet, at least 60 returning baddies. And Bessie.

Not much to ask, is it?
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 09:29:31 pm »

Awesome ideas there. I'm not a writer so I don't worry about the small stuff, all I know is that Moff needs to have at least 375 references to past adventures, 20 companions, every Doctor, every planet, at least 60 returning baddies. And Bessie.

Not much to ask, is it?

You forgot the recorder.
Report Spam   Logged

CollieMonster
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Sarah Jane Smith

Jelly baby?

View Profile WWW
50 Posts Search 10 Posts
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 03:36:35 am »

I think that we should have as many Doctors as we can fit on the screen and the same goes for the companions too. I have no idea how to write around their changed appearances, but for the sake of one story I'm not even sure I care.

Same here.

I also want River and Jack to be on screen together. SO badly.
Report Spam   Logged

"Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness and love." ~Sarah Jane Smith

AKC/UKC Pt'd Moxie's Adamantium Man URO1 RA CA HIC TT CGC, Service Dog (Smooth Collie)
Gavroche de la Rue URO1 RA CGC (Boxer)
The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe (Crested Gecko)
Lis (Mouse)

The Eclectic Collie
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 02:27:28 pm »

I love the Avengers style idea. That would be very cool
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 06:06:53 pm »

I also want River and Jack to be on screen together. SO badly.

But could they put it on before the watershed? Cool
Report Spam   Logged

CollieMonster
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Sarah Jane Smith

Jelly baby?

View Profile WWW
50 Posts Search 10 Posts
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 06:10:33 pm »

Found this tidbit today, was posted on the local Whovian club Facebook page: http://www.wired.com/geekmom/2013/01/doctor-who-all-eleven-doctors/

I'm hoping against hope that it's true. It would make me so happy!  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness and love." ~Sarah Jane Smith

AKC/UKC Pt'd Moxie's Adamantium Man URO1 RA CA HIC TT CGC, Service Dog (Smooth Collie)
Gavroche de la Rue URO1 RA CGC (Boxer)
The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe (Crested Gecko)
Lis (Mouse)

The Eclectic Collie
Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 10:53:19 pm »

A lot of the stuff the writer on that article claims to be confirmed, isn't. It would be nice, but at the moment we know absolutely zip about the special.
Report Spam   Logged

The Cyber Mistress
Earthling

View Profile
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 02:34:22 pm »

I don't mind what's in it, but I want it to be a standalone special. I don't want it to be linked in to one of Moffs arcs. I think if that happens it will feel like an extension of the main series instead of a special event.
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 12:26:11 pm »

I actually have no expectations or hopes. I just want to enjoy it. It would be nice to have some classic elements to it, but if the story is good I will be happy. I think a lot of fans should already prepare for disappointment because they are setting the bar and their epectations far too high.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: