The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 10:17:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Peter Capaldi Too Old?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Peter Capaldi Too Old?  (Read 781 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: August 07, 2013, 05:49:08 pm »

Not a sentiment I share, but many fans are arguing that Peter Capaldi is too old to take on the role of the Doctor, and with us being a forum where all opinions are welcomed and open to discussion, I was wondering what the opinions here are. Even the papers are picking up on it, using Facebook and Twitter to make their arguments. Here are some snippets.

Some users on Twitter described his announcement as ‘exciting’ and ‘perfect’, but others were more critical – one wrote: ‘Peter Capaldi is not attractive because he’s old’, while another posted: ‘I’m not watching Doctor Who any more. Peter Capaldi is too old.’

The unveiling also caused a flurry of comments on MailOnline, with many expressing their views on the new Doctor's age.

Cdst20, from Cardiff wrote: 'Needed to be someone younger and more attractive to keep Dr Who relevant as did reader Leeb, of Nottingham: 'I think younger would have been better, to be honest I think this is a bad choice.

Katty of Bournemouth said: 'I want to say i am going to stop watching Doctor Who, however, i love it  too much. So i am going to give it a go but i don't want the doctor to be an old guy.'

'Too old. Same age as the first Dr in 1908. All the others were more than 10yrs younger', shirley1919.

'Very very disappointed! The Doctor meant to be someone young, both matt and David were very cute and funny doctors, and now they give us an old guy, no offence to the new guy he may be an amazing actor but he just doesn't fit the part,' Fara23.

But show boss Steven Moffatt defended his choice saying: 'The Doctor just chooses a face off the rack. He doesn't care whether he's young or old.'

Now this is probably a minority. So far everything I have read seems to be overwhelmingly positive and supportive. Also, perhaps unfairly, my automatic assumption is that most of the people making comments like this are ones who are perhaps only familiar with the new incarnation of the show and not the classic run. But are they right in what they are saying? Do we need a new Doctor to be young to keep the show popular in todays market?
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 06:11:14 pm »

'Too old. Same age as the first Dr in 1908. All the others were more than 10yrs younger', shirley1919.

Eh? to the first bit. The second bit isn't true either as far as I know. Wasn't Pertwee in or around his 50s?

This is something I just cannot agree with.

I am absolutely thrilled he's older. I fully expected younger to be honest (and would quite happily have enjoyed someone like Damien Molony or Aneurin Barnard) - possibly most people did, because of the precedent set by the show since the revival - the Doctors have been getting progressively younger. I wonder if some of this reaction comes from what was expected.

I think going older is a great move - totally unexpected & I look forward to seeing how it changes the show - if it does at all.

Maybe because I am older I really don't think that the lead actor needs to be young to keep the show popular, but I may be proved wrong & if I am I am.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 06:29:02 pm »

I think the age of the actor is possibly something that could come up for debate, for young in the same way as old, but I don't think 55 is by any means old and I am certain Capaldi will do an excellent job. What I don't buy into is this train of thought that the Doctor should be deemed attractive. Is that really why some people watch the show? It says nothing about how well the character is played and if people are only watching for that reason then I think they will find themselves disappointed more often than not.

As a side note, Aneurin Barnard is a friend of mine and if he had gotten the role I assure you I would have done all I could have to be extra nice so that he would have taken me on set. Then I would have leaked it all on here Tongue

Just kidding. Sort of Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 06:38:04 pm »

Wasn't Matt too young, according to some fans?

I don't like that people think he has to be attractive either - and I would like to add that I actually don't think PC is unattractive. Not my type, but not unattractive - and even if he was that matters not one jot to his acting ability. If the actor playing the Doctor is attractive then that's a bonus, but the part should be cast on acting ability - best person for the job. Always.

As an aside, it's very cool that you know AB - I think he's a great up & coming talent Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 06:51:10 pm »

I have to admit, when Matt was cast even I questioned whether or not his age would be an issue. Whether or not he was a good actor I had no clue of. I'd never seen him in anything. But I did wonder whether a role as hefty as this could be carried by someone so young. I was tuning in to The Eleventh Hour fully expecting to groan all the way through it and I was won over by the time he said 'hello'. The only concern I would ever have with the upper age limit would be the physicality of the role. The role is a lot more physical these days (though that can easily change, just like his face), but I definitely don't think PC will have a problem in that regard. He seems fit and agile enough.
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 07:01:05 pm »

I'm sure I read somewhere that he runs marathons so he should be fine  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 07:05:32 pm »

Well there's an awful lot of running Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 08:35:55 pm »

I think bringing the looks of the actor into it is absurd. That and the age thing. I'm sorry but this seems like a bunch of whiny fangirls/boys, the same type who sent Matt death threats for not being David Tennant, or went mental with anyone who mentioned Ianto after he died, who create these fantastical scenarios where the character/actor is going to fall in love with them and then they can spew it all over their tumblr accounts etc. It's ridiculous bollocks from a tiny minority who watch the shows to fill a hollow spot in their lonely brain rather than just enjoying it for the entertainment that it is. This is a subject that actually really infuriates me and is an area of fandom that makes me embarrassed to be a part of it as a whole. The shame of it is that it really is just a tiny minority, but like always, that's the section that the papers favour talking about.
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 08:54:32 pm »

Just been flicking through my mum's 'news'paper & discovered there is yet another 'problem' with PC apparently - some mums are worried that he doesn't have a 'family friendly' back catalogue (presumably they mean The Thick of It among other things) & they are worried about their young children looking him up & stumbling across it. While this may be true, they should really be keeping an eye on what their kids are looking at - it's not like they don't know this may be a possibility (and by the way parents - you can control the content your kids see in various ways). Surely any actor is likely to have something somewhere on their CV that people don't want their kids to see though (off the top of my head DT - Casanova, Matt - Christopher & his Kind). Not sure if they are going as far as saying that he shouldn't have been chosen, but they are still making an issue of it.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 09:01:32 pm »

And once again it's probably about 8 people but the papers are making it seem like 8m.

And this is something that covers many arguments when it comes to parents and what their children see online, not just Doctor Who, and I'm sorry but this ALWAYS lies with the parents. It is their responsibility to ensure their children aren't looking at things they shouldn't be. The content of Torchwood is often questionable but they don't moan when Jack shows up. The only issue here is responsible parenting. Those who nanny their children online, and those who can't be bothered because it's easy to blame someone else when they weren't properly parenting their children.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 09:42:51 pm »

This just seems like one of those things that is debated for debate's sake. Most of the best Doctors have been older and I wouldn't say any of those have been particularly or conventionally attractive, but that hasn't stopped them being awesome. This will prove to be such a nonissue in a years time, I'm certain of it.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 10:09:17 pm »

And once again it's probably about 8 people but the papers are making it seem like 8m.

And this is something that covers many arguments when it comes to parents and what their children see online, not just Doctor Who, and I'm sorry but this ALWAYS lies with the parents. It is their responsibility to ensure their children aren't looking at things they shouldn't be. The content of Torchwood is often questionable but they don't moan when Jack shows up. The only issue here is responsible parenting. Those who nanny their children online, and those who can't be bothered because it's easy to blame someone else when they weren't properly parenting their children.

Absolutely agree  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 11:42:20 pm »

My favourite Doctor's Pertwee (who was actually one of the more action-based Doctors) so I definitely don't have a problem with PC in that regard (or any other).  Not that I've any objection when the Doctor's younger, but age or attractiveness aren't what the show's about.

And what Aneurin said about the PG issue.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 01:36:39 pm »

All of these arguments just seem so ridiculous to me. Age, previous roles, hotness factor, all just stupid things to be looking into. I don't understand the mentality of some people. Having a hot sexy 25 year old who can't act but can fit the fantasies of hormonal teenagers will be far more detrimental to the show than Capaldi ever will be.
Report Spam   Logged

Sparky
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Nine
Favourite Companion: Rose

View Profile
100 Posts 50 Posts Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 11:58:31 am »

I can't believe some of the things I have been reading, both here and elsewhere. Most of it has been positive, but some of the reasons people have come up with as to why he shouldn't have been cast are just stupid. Age, looks, race etc should never factor into a decision. If people are really banging on about the fact they no longer fancy the Doctor I think they have some issues.
Report Spam   Logged
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 03:38:23 pm »

So long as he can play the part well, which I believe he can, I don't care how old he is.  All the complaining is nonsense.  No matter who they chose, some people would find something to complain about.  It's just how it is sadly.
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 07:44:54 pm »

I personally am really excited to see the new dynamic an older Doctor will bring to the role (not being particularly versed in the classics, I'm ashamed to say). Less Doctor/companion romance for a start (I hope).

Let the naysayers carry on their merry way, I'll still be watching Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 08:20:25 pm »

I think a lot of the problem is that us more hardened Who fans are used to the concept of regeneration. A lot of the comments about Capaldi's age have come from people for whom Matt Smith is their first Doctor. I remember the fury I had when I was told Tom Baker was leaving and Peter Davison was joining. He was a bloody vet!!!

It takes time for people to get used to the idea of a new Doctor. Even experienced Who watchers like myself struggled with the idea of Matt Smith - a 26 year old as the Doctor. Yet what a triumph he has been. "Capaldi is too old" is just a reaction in the same way that "Matt Smith is too young." Give him a couple of brilliant, iconic moments and all will be well Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Simone
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Matt Smith/Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Clara/Ace

View Profile
100 Posts Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 01:23:39 pm »

I think his age is actually going to work in his favour. It is going to really set him apart from the other Doctors we have had over the last few years and make him stand out, because his age means that the character will be very different in tone. I think it's important that each Doctor is original while still maintaining that thread of the Doctor, and his age will be on his side, I'm certain.
Report Spam   Logged
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 12:06:21 am »

Disappointingly, I've not personally seen anyone say "he's too old, I'm not gonna watch any more" but I have seen a fair bit of "thank god he's an older Doctor, I will start watching it again". 

Even more disappointingly, I have seen a lot of scorn aimed at 'fangirls on tumblr/twitter' saying they aren't fans really and should **** off, I find that far more uncomfortable to read and find it very snobbish.  From what I understand it is mainly the young fans who have reacted badly at the casting, seeing as they have grown up with Tennant and Smith over the past 8 years I can completely understand their surprise/confusion that the show they adore changing from what they are used to.  They are just as much a fan of the show as anyone else and are entitled to their opinion without some of the disgusting bile that has been chucked at them imo.
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: